Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:16   #946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
What we know as 'Pete's tuning boxes' are nothing more than PSI motorsport boxes, so you can always check their site instead. Here's the link for the Linea : http://www.psi-motorsport.com/turbod...tid=2032&lg=en

The gains are 12bhp on the regular 90bhp Linea. I'm not sure what that would translate to on our detuned ~85bhp versions.

Your doc has the diesel / petrol variants interchanged, plus numerous inconsistencies in the specs. I suggest you go through the official Linea site for correct specs.
Also correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't most headlight bulbs halogens these days?
Had a word with Peter for Pete's box regarding Linea. It will make it 105 bhp and cost is 28000. Got complete specs in a spreadsheet at home,will post at nite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
I went to Concorde Motors opposite Christ College to pay up the balance after the company finance. They have put Stanley leather seats. Now the car looks a lot upmarket. They told me that it would cost 40K.

They are preparing the accessories list with price. They told me that I should be able to get the list tomorrow.
Stanley is excellent. Do post the pics when you get them done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
Shocked!!!

FIAL is not a 50-50 JV between Fiat and Tata.

The swift and Dzire plonks diesel engines built by Fiat.
FIAL is a 50-50 JV between Fiat and Tata. Check the data again.
Also as far as i know Swift and Dzire gets the Fiat engine only. Correct me if am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
To boost Linea sales, Fiat must target taxi-segment with their flagship diesel variant and take the wind out of Innova. They must ensure they replace all Logan taxis plying on city roads. Fiat must offer great discounts & affordable schemes to attract Mumbai taxi owners (who are planning to migrate to WagonR). After all Mumbai taxis are pride of Fiat and must ensure the legacy continues.

Later they must introduce factory fitted LPG & CNG variants to cater to wide market.
IMO you got no idea which segment Fiat is targetting and what kinda customers they are targetting. Wake up
Also Linea Vs Innova - not at all buddy. Both are very different though diesel. Innova's comfort and space is too good and it suits a taxi commendably.
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:22   #947
BHPian

Quote:
To boost Linea sales, Fiat must target taxi-segment with their flagship diesel variant and take the wind out of Innova. They must ensure they replace all Logan taxis plying on city roads. Fiat must offer great discounts & affordable schemes to attract Mumbai taxi owners (who are planning to migrate to WagonR). After all Mumbai taxis are pride of Fiat and must ensure the legacy continues.

Later they must introduce factory fitted LPG & CNG variants to cater to wide market.
The interiors and the general feel of the car is just too good for a taxi on Indian roads. Secondly, the taxi owner would benefit more outta Logan diesel than from Linea diesel.
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:42   #948
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for OT
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Do you think a FIAT fan wouldn't know that? I have already made it very clear in my other post.
FIAT fan or not, not every one knows about 50-50 JV. Hence my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
Shocked!!!

FIAL is not a 50-50 JV between Fiat and Tata.

The swift and Dzire plonks diesel engines built by Fiat.
You are wrong! Please check the FIAT India website. Also Maruti build their own engine in their Manesar plant (could be other plants too).
Tata-FIAT asked if they can share the engine plant, but Maruti rejected the offer. More here:
http://www.rediff.com/money/2008/jul/28tata.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Who provides the license for Maruti to build MJD engines?
Same as above.
OT: Maruti got license indirectly from FIAT (though GM-Suzuki alliance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Also as far as i know Swift and Dzire gets the Fiat engine only. Correct me if am wrong.
Engines designed By FIAT, but built by Maruti in their plant. I am only talking about Indian variants. I don't know about swift diesels abroad.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 22nd January 2009 at 18:44.
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:57   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Also Maruti build their own engine in their Manesar plant (could be other plants too).
Maruti got license indirectly from FIAT (though GM-Suzuki alliance).
Engines designed By FIAT, but built by Maruti in their plant.
You are partially correct & partially wrong.

Maruti is manufacturing MJD engines in its own factory, but under licence from Fiat Spa, Italy.
Old 22nd January 2009, 19:05   #950
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
You are partially correct & partially wrong.

Maruti is manufacturing MJD engines in its own factory, but under licence from Fiat Spa, Italy.
Let me add, through the Suzuki-GM Alliance they procured this license. To add further, as long as the engine is reliable and cheap to run, have a good service back up, i really dont care where the licensing/patenting fee goes
Old 22nd January 2009, 19:55   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
The interiors and the general feel of the car is just too good for a taxi on Indian roads. Secondly, the taxi owner would benefit more outta Logan diesel than from Linea diesel.
+1 to that. taxi operators looks for Logan's and Indigo's in this respect thats why i feel Indigo Vista might be a hit with them if priced reasonably (which most of the times TATA does)
Old 22nd January 2009, 21:54   #952
Team-BHP Support

a JV and license to build engines or even sourcing engines from some other guy does not mean you have to put the companies name in advertising.
In case of Tata Fiat, Tata is having distribution rights.
In case of Maruti etc., its like using bosch common rail. Do we see bosch logo on car ads which use their tech? Or do we see Lucas logo because they make the alternators.
You cannot compare buying a tech or licensing a tech to a JV. Tata and Fiat are in it together in India. They are partners.
With Tata's big service network, if they handle it right, Linea may as well be the harbinger of change for Fiat in India. The car is good, the price is great, its a good looker and its VFM.
The trouble is the service and support part, and if that works out, Fiat can atleast partially meet targets(I don't expect any car company to meet targets this year)
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:14   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Diabloo, I know that you can't reply but I sometimes wonder - do you need to practice before you pen down utter rubbish or does it come to you naturally?

Linea-Logan-Innova-CNG - give us a break
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:41   #954

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Diabloo, I know that you can't reply but I sometimes wonder - do you need to practice before you pen down utter rubbish or does it come to you naturally?

Suman, you have to give him credit. In one stroke he had moved the Linea away from ANHC and moved the topic to (i) image of Linea being downmarket enough to be a cab and (ii) competition to Toyota Innova and cab market. Smart move considering his arguments of Linea v/s ANHC were not going anywhere. Moving targets always helps.
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:58   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post

GTO has already taken appropriate action towards that.

Its feels nice that of the 3 cars launched this month (I am counting in I20 for this month only) Linea has had a very good start and I am still waiting for someone to tell me that he's booked the I20 (Appuchan being the exception) or the Xylo.

For Fiat, all I would say is - Touch Wood.
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:12   #956
BHPian

Fantastic pricing by Fiat!!! Way to go... Hard to beleive that they have outpriced Maruti.... Power should not be an issue because the nerve centre for Indians is "Average Kya Hai?". Anyway the only hurdle could be the brand perception in India. I really wish Fiat succeeds...

On the flip side, I have to say that the interiors look Indica'ish. May be I am wrong as I am yet to see it in person....

If the Linea is a success, Maruti will bring in the SX4 diesel soon...
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:33   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji_n29 View Post
On the flip side, I have to say that the interiors look Indica'ish. May be I am wrong as I am yet to see it in person....
You gotta see the interiors, you will be impressed for sure.
Old 23rd January 2009, 13:41   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
GTO has already taken appropriate action towards that.

Its feels nice that of the 3 cars launched this month (I am counting in I20 for this month only) Linea has had a very good start and I am still waiting for someone to tell me that he's booked the I20 (Appuchan being the exception) or the Xylo.

For Fiat, all I would say is - Touch Wood.
Already saw a Black Xylo (with ribbons on the hood) on road yesterday (Shantinagar/Bangalore), but yet to see any (non demo) Linea.
Old 23rd January 2009, 13:46   #959
BHPian

I too didn't feel that interiors of Linea is all that great. It doesn't look classy and lacks a nice feel. Levers for seat and steering wheel adjustment also felt a bit flimsy. I liked Fiesta's interiors better.
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:14   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Already saw a Black Xylo (with ribbons on the hood) on road yesterday (Shantinagar/Bangalore), but yet to see any (non demo) Linea.
Yes I have also seen two i20s so far in Noida. But still to see any Linea on road.

Not all people who own cars are on this board. And not all people on this board are liking i20 either So we may not see too many tbhpian i20 owners. That doesnt mean it is not selling (as somebody posted - Hyundai have had 2000+ bookings for i20 in 20 days - when their target is, as per their own officials, about 15000 a year).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed