Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2009, 23:53   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Though more powerful engines are always welcome, I'm not really sure why people jump to a judgement that this a relatively puny engine even before any TD experience...relative to which car and class?
Incidentally, test drives have been conducted on the Linea powered by a Diesel engine. Read here and here for the same. Search for the key word “breath” and you will get an idea. Presuming that these reviews were done with just one person test driving the Linea, I dread to imagine what would be the Linea’s pulling power when it is fully laden.

Internationally, the petrol variant Linea is powered by an option of two engines – namely – a 77bHp, 16v, 1368cc engine called Fire and an 120bHp, 16V, 1368cc engine called T-Jet. If an article in Autocar India is to be believed then we will get the 95bHp, 16v, 1368cc twin-cam that does duty on the Grande Punto in Turkey. Assuming that this is true, FIAT India hasn’t completely shortchanged us by giving us the Fire engine but I see no reason for them not to offer the T-Jet as well. For a Company that has been bold and stupid (both at the same time) to offer us a Rs.15+ lacs car (FIAT 500), however niche a product it might be, I see no harm in them offering a slightly higher priced Linea with the best engine that they have to offer. At least the consumer doesn’t feel cheated or shortchanged knowing jolly well that FIAT does have a better engine but did not offer it, especially for a Company trying to make a comeback. Besides, there were rumours a lot earlier that India could become the manufacturing base (at least for the engines) for right-hand driven Lineas’ that could be sold in countries like Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, China etc – then why not for the Indian consumer. If there is any truth in that then FIAT India too is going the Hyundai India way by making better variants of their cars (i10 & i20) in India not for Indians but only for exports.

Although not exhaustive, here is a list of the Linea features (some are standard and some are optional) as sold internationally. Six air bags and fog lights with automatic air conditioning, electrical lumbar adjustment for the driver seat, front and rear armrests, leather covered steering wheel and gear shift, Mp3 player with the new Blue&Me system, parking and rain sensors plus alloy wheels. Active safety features like ABS with EBD, ESP, ASR, MSR and Hillholder-HBA along with the passive safety features like Air-Bag Smart2 System, Side and Roof air bags, Front racked seat belts and Inertia Sensor (FPS) and all the accessory options like Chrome cowls for wing mirrors, Chrome handles, Chrome window rims, Front Deflectors, Steel Kick Plate, Aluminum pedal covers and footrest, Carpet mats, Aluminum plates and Window Winders. Make the comparison with the Indian variant(s) and you will see that we are certainly not getting the entire deal.

I wouldn’t mind compromising a few of the above mentioned features but the lack of a T-Jet engine just leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, especially when I have salivated long enough in anticipation of this car as being “the one”. Moreover, it would have been fun to see the Linea scoot ahead of the competition on the road in terms of speed. With the improved bHp of the new Honda City and the 1.6 Verna, Fiesta, Aveo etc. being the way they are I doubt it seriously can. This is just my perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
For the record, I've driven this car with the same engine specs while I was in Italy and found it to be atleast at par if not better than other vehicles in its class...Though not a road rocket, I never felt it was underpowered. I hope Fiat has not detuned it much for India...Atleast the engine specs look the same to me IIRC.
You ought to have driven the Diesel variant of the Linea as the Petrol variants in Italy do not come with the 95bHp, 16v, 1368cc twin-cam engine, rumoured to be released in India. If you were driving alone then it isn’t a fair judgement as a fully laden Linea will offer different results. Presumably, if you had driven the Linea powered by the 120bHp, 16V, 1368cc T-Jet Petrol engine then it doesn't need much convincing to be impressed – 0 to 100kmph in approximately 9/10 seconds and a rated top speed of around 200kmph – that is the engine I am yearning for.
Old 3rd January 2009, 00:04   #92
BHPian

All,

The pricing of the Linea is out and it sure means business. Emotion-pack is a bit high above the Emotion variant. And the feature list does not have any gradation across the models, according to ACI.

Prices, INR Lacs
Active 7.12
Dynamic 7.43
Dynamic Pack 7.72
Emotion 7.82
Emotion Pack 8.36

* all prices in lakh rupees, ex-showroom, Mumbai

Source: :: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

BH.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 3rd January 2009 at 00:06.
Old 3rd January 2009, 01:20   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post

Although not exhaustive, here is a list of the Linea features (some are standard and some are optional) as sold internationally. Six air bags and fog lights with automatic air conditioning, electrical lumbar adjustment for the driver seat, front and rear armrests, leather covered steering wheel and gear shift, Mp3 player with the new Blue&Me system, parking and rain sensors plus alloy wheels. Active safety features like ABS with EBD, ESP, ASR, MSR and Hillholder-HBA along with the passive safety features like Air-Bag Smart2 System, Side and Roof air bags, Front racked seat belts and Inertia Sensor (FPS) and all the accessory options like Chrome cowls for wing mirrors, Chrome handles, Chrome window rims, Front Deflectors, Steel Kick Plate, Aluminum pedal covers and footrest, Carpet mats, Aluminum plates and Window Winders. Make the comparison with the Indian variant(s) and you will see that we are certainly not getting the entire deal.

I wouldn’t mind compromising a few of the above mentioned features but the lack of a T-Jet engine just leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, especially when I have salivated long enough in anticipation of this car as being “the one”. Moreover, it would have been fun to see the Linea scoot ahead of the competition on the road in terms of speed. With the improved bHp of the new Honda City and the 1.6 Verna, Fiesta, Aveo etc. being the way they are I doubt it seriously can. This is just my perspective.

You ought to have driven the Diesel variant of the Linea as the Petrol variants in Italy do not come with the 95bHp, 16v, 1368cc twin-cam engine, rumoured to be released in India. If you were driving alone then it isn’t a fair judgement as a fully laden Linea will offer different results. Presumably, if you had driven the Linea powered by the 120bHp, 16V, 1368cc T-Jet Petrol engine then it doesn't need much convincing to be impressed – 0 to 100kmph in approximately 9/10 seconds and a rated top speed of around 200kmph – that is the engine I am yearning for.

Yes, the Linea thats sold internationally has got a lot of features which seems to be missing from the India Linea. But basically which car in India offers all these features in India. And even if it is, whats is its price?

We cant expect everything in this car for this price. We were yelling SX4 as the best VFM when it was launched. It seemed to be VFM only because since its competitors were overpriced.

If Honda, Ford, Chevorlet and Hyundai reduces its price for its cars simply to make it competitive against Linea, I would dare to say that the customers of these cars will be the biggest FOOLS of the last decade who simply gave their hard earned bucks for incompetent products.

Some of the feedbacks in this thread is simply because of the egoistic feeling that someone is having because of the reason that I have just mentioned.

Criticisms if any should be made, but it should not Blind without evaluating the facts.

No offense
Old 3rd January 2009, 01:22   #94
BHPian

Pete's is a human being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So, a diesel linea with pete's is what one should buy to get everything covered.
Petes is never going to be your driver to chauffeur you around. Peter is a Mallu human being from Cochin and not a mechical/electronic product that you can plug in the car. I believe what you mean is fitting in the PSI Motorsports gadget to improve the torque of the car by varying the diesel injection pulses and duration which is marketed by Peter from Cochin. Very many in this forum probably( I repeat probably) have the mistaken notion that Pete's is a mechanical/electronic product.

PSI motorsport : Diesel Tuning : F.A.Q.

Peter also deals in other performance enhancing products like Bilsteins for suspension and Green cotton for air filters and not only the PSI powerbox. I am sure yo would not call Bilsteins or Green cottons as Pete's.
Old 3rd January 2009, 01:27   #95
Senior - BHPian

@freddie, going by that "out-of-breath" thingy, Skoda Octavias (90 bhp 1.9 TDI or 105 bhp Laura) should be pathetically slow and rubbish cars for highway. While the fact remains that Skodas are probably most potent and stable highway cars available in India.

With the rocket that crdi Verna is, Octavia shouldn't even stand a chance. But, put them on road and anyone can clearly see the difference. Verna keeps on bouncing all over the place (I have driven it, so I can comment going by own experience) and you are skeptical while throwing the car around corners. Even puny 68 bhp Ford TDCI fares great on highways.

Bottom line is, don't just go by statistics. What really matters is driveability on the road in real life situation.

Comparing engine specs with European markets doesn't hold good in FE conscious Indian market. Fiat learnt that lesson hard way with Palio GTX (having almost double the power compared to next powerful hatch back then).

Last edited by RX135 : 3rd January 2009 at 01:29.
Old 3rd January 2009, 02:25   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
If Autocar India is to be believed then we will get the 95bHp, 16v, 1368cc twin-cam that does duty on the Grande Punto in Turkey.

I wouldn’t mind compromising a few of the above mentioned features but the lack of a T-Jet engine just leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

speed of around 200kmph – that is the engine I am yearning for.
Yes that is the petrol engine that is currently available on the car, and I drove the car with the same engine and even with 5 guys on board,but in the outright accelaration runs i guess it would be a little under powered.And
the car pulled up effortlessly

Even I wished for the T-Jet,but that's just the petrol head in me talking, If I Was offered the T-Jet and the 1.4 NA I would go for the NA because the Fuel efficency would be better, and I am talking about the general public, come on how many 1.6 Fords do you see on the road ? how many 1.6 Palios do you see on the road ? how many 1.8 Optras do you see on the road ? One thing that we have to take seriously into context is that there are Non TeamBHPians who buy cars and they are the major car buying population,so they have learned from their mistakes and took a good step as not to launch the T-Jet in India.

The dealership that I worked have went ahead and launched and displayed the car today itself, saw the Red Linea glistening in the showroom. So much for the launch then.
Old 3rd January 2009, 03:02   #97
BHPian

Mods Please add this to my last post don't want to do back to back posts.

Only after seeing Freddi's Posting did I remember all those features that I forgot to mention.Which are present on the Emotion Optional Pack.

Fog lights, automatic air conditioning,heated mirrors, lumbar adjustment for the driver seat, front and rear armrests, leather covered steering wheel and gear shift, Mp3 player with the new Blue&Me system, alloy wheels. Active safety features like ABS with EBD, Front ELR seat belts and Inertia Sensor (FPS) and Chrome cowls for wing mirrors, Chrome handles, Chrome window rims,Front Deflectors, Steel Kick Plate.
Old 3rd January 2009, 03:05   #98
BHPian

a little OT:
can anybody tell me if the Linea's steering could be somehow retrofitted in a Palio?
Old 3rd January 2009, 03:20   #99
BHPian

Maybe you can fit it in a Palio, but you will have to probably steal it from a Linea or import it from Italy/Turkey,spares might be hard to come by for the next six months at least.
Old 3rd January 2009, 03:48   #100
BHPian

Fiat Linea Spied at Tata Motors dealership

Guys, check this out. The video is of low quality, but evidence is what we're looking for- The Fiat Linea is closer to us than ever before

Here’s solid proof that will confirm the Fiat Linea’s presence in Tata Motors’ dealerships in the country. Information was sketchy until now, and a lot of uncertainty on whether or not Lineas had arrived to the showrooms existed, which is cleared by this video.

You can see a Red colored Fiat Linea with stickers on the doors. It’s probably the demo car which will be displayed at the showroom where it was spotted a few days from now.

The video is of poor quality but it serves the purpose of proving that “yesss!! Finally the Fiat Linea is at reaching distance from your home!!.” After all the hype, reviews and delay, we can’t wait to get our hands on one.

Source- Fiat Linea Spied at Tata Motors dealership | Indian Autos blog
Old 3rd January 2009, 05:38   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
a little OT:
can anybody tell me if the Linea's steering could be somehow retrofitted in a Palio?

Once if you get the steering wheel, it should not be a problem because most of the steering wheels are fixed with a single Bolt at the center. But sometimes you may lose your horn and audio controls too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Mods Please add this to my last post don't want to do back to back posts.

Only after seeing Freddi's Posting did I remember all those features that I forgot to mention.Which are present on the Emotion Optional Pack.

Fog lights, automatic air conditioning,heated mirrors, lumbar adjustment for the driver seat, front and rear armrests, leather covered steering wheel and gear shift, Mp3 player with the new Blue&Me system, alloy wheels. Active safety features like ABS with EBD, Front ELR seat belts and Inertia Sensor (FPS) and Chrome cowls for wing mirrors, Chrome handles, Chrome window rims,Front Deflectors, Steel Kick Plate.
Muneem, did you miss the Hill holder or is it NA in the optional list?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd January 2009 at 16:44. Reason: see note in post
Old 3rd January 2009, 08:10   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I guess you spotted Grande Punto.
yes, my bad- not the bravo but the GP!
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:05   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Maybe you can fit it in a Palio, but you will have to probably steal it from a Linea or import it from Italy/Turkey,spares might be hard to come by for the next six months at least.
Hey muneem,
Really appreciate for the wealth of information that you have shared here, but at the same time some of your posts are totally acerbic in nature. Maybe you could provide totally unbiased views & opinions here.

Peace!
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:16   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Hey muneem,
Really appreciate for the wealth of information that you have shared here, but at the same time some of your posts are totally acerbic in nature. Maybe you could provide totally unbiased views & opinions here.

Peace!
What if the views and info has been unbiased so far
To me he has been quite "civil" for someone so frustrated a person with Fiat.
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:22   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
What if the views and info has been unbiased so far
To me he has been quite "civil" for someone so frustrated a person with Fiat.
Hehe.. maybe

But his frustrations are not exactly synonymous with say a Fiat owner pissed off with the a.s.s.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed