Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 21:25   #586
BHPian

the test drive reports by our community suggest performance is not bad. Now does it really matter if torque is @1750 or 2500 rpm on paper. It not a rocket and it doesn't matter if it is 85bhp or 90bhp. We only lose on top speed which on most Indian highways is only cruising speed near 100/110kmph.
Old 14th January 2009, 21:29   #587
Senior - BHPian

Delhi price of Emotion Pk - 810004, Excellent pricing.
I think PK includes Air bags and Blue & Me - CAn anyone confirm?

Last edited by harry10 : 14th January 2009 at 21:31.
Old 14th January 2009, 21:34   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
All the fuss about 5 bhp loss in huge performance difference is being spread by Maruti fanboys .
Its not fuss. Why did Fiat do it in first place for a car that is not coming with a lightweight chassis. And in the test reports it was printed 90bhp ( ACI made Linea car of the year before it was launches and in the scoop test it was rated at 90 bhp ). Dropping more than 5bhp ( 85.2 PS, 1bhp = 1.0149PS, so its 85.2/1.0149 = 83.9 bhp ) will certainly affect highway performance specially considering that this is not N43 from BMW with a strong top end.

A mistake by Fait. More than anyone else, this will be used by the salespersons from competitors for selling their own cars. Easily, Fiat could have done better here. All those arguing that the drop from 90bhp to 83.9 bhp is not a huge thing, I am sure it will be once the car hits expressway.

What fiat immediately needs to do is launch 1.6 MJD atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
So engine detuned by 5bhp. I guess that's the reason ACI could not achieve the 13.8 secs done by the 90 bhp engine (as per FIAT international site claims).
There could have been changes made to gearing and tyres also.

EDIT : The official website says its 86 PS = 84.7 bhp. PWR = 65.6 bhp/ton.
Now even Dzire manages more at 67.2 bhp/ton for highest model.
For the lowest model with diesel, the PWR goes up to 68.8 bhp/ton.
For torque, its 157.2 Nm/ton.
Dzire manages 170.4 Nm/ton.
So I expect Dzire to be more responsive ( once turbo is spinning ).

Last edited by aaggoswami : 14th January 2009 at 21:47.
Old 14th January 2009, 21:37   #589
BHPian

Killer Prices especially diesel. Honda City is soooo... dead !
Old 14th January 2009, 21:38   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
That is sad. But Considering the fact that peak torque remains more or less the same, I'm not going to cry over again. I just hope that torque is good right from 1750rpm and peaks at 2500rpm.

Right after 3 months, I buy the Petes tuning box.
Congrats on your Linea buy :-) The torque is still over 20kgm - like someone else posted, they probably tuned for FE. It is true though that some manufacturers tune bhp down in India mainly due to the fuel - hope Fiat has improved FE for you!

It would be good if the Dynamic option pack also provided airbags. Somehow, Fiat has only provided airbags as an option on the highest Emotion model ? That for me sends a message, we give you some other goodies but safety is well and truly optional and at highest premium. Other than that, the pricing is brilliant.
Old 14th January 2009, 21:41   #591
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

wow pricing on the linea.

Detuning of the engine, nobody who has test driven have complained that much the lack of power. agreed the car might be out of oxygen in the highway but that needs to be checked.

but fiat has tried to give a package which eats both sides of the class they have launched in. give it to them for now. only they know how to screw it with their a.s.s..

Last edited by bharanidharang : 14th January 2009 at 21:43.
Old 14th January 2009, 21:45   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Prices announced in Fiat-india site Fiat India

only active variant prices for diesel as of now

Delhi:
Petrol
Linea Active Linea Dynamic Linea Dynamic Pk
598967 629972 657978

Diesel
Linea Active
Shock pricing . real VFM. "TATA" effect

along with great service intervals @15000 kms.
WOW.
linea redefines the automobile landscape in india. it truely deserves COTY.
i hope fiat is able to change its A*S*S in a similar way.
i wish Fiat all the best of luck for linea. and i hope other manufacturers take note about the pricing.
hats off too fiat.
my only wish - abs/airbag should be optional in all linea variants
Old 14th January 2009, 21:45   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
now for those complaining linea's "just 85.2 ps", remember this is good amount of power from just 1248 cc and torque of 203 nm is also exceptional from a small displacement diesel motor.
The "small" diesel motor would be absolutely perfect for a "smaller" car (Swift Diesel Sport perhaps )

Quote:
drive the car for at least 15-30 mins in various gears and levels and then decide whether linea is underpowered.
Of course, I'm sure it'll be quite 'ok' to drive. But picture this, you're on a decent stretch of highway, doing a sedate 80 kmph and an ugly Mahindra Ingenio, with its 112bhp, 240NM torque, 6 people inside, hood scoop and all, overtakes the Linea. Maybe, just maybe, the Linea can muster up enough juice to catch the Ingenio - but it'll be embarrassingly tough.

Quote:
the number of verna crdi crashes i have seen in my life is very high, therefore keeping this in mind, fiat guys have not screwed up with the linea's mechanicals.
a very subjective assessment - for instance, I have personally never seen a Verna CRDi crash till date. I found the Swift with its stock tyres way more scarier to control than a Verna CRDi. That said, I'm extremely impressed with the Linea's safety obsession.
Old 14th January 2009, 21:49   #594
BHPian

re:

Can anyone please confirm the expected FE on its Petrol engine? Will it be same as SX4? Many thanks!
Old 14th January 2009, 21:52   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
a very subjective assessment - for instance, I have personally never seen a Verna CRDi crash till date. I found the Swift with its stock tyres way more scarier to control than a Verna CRDi. That said, I'm extremely impressed with the Linea's safety obsession.
I do not know how good the Verna is under a crash. But I do know somebody whose Verna's brakes failed within 8,000 kms in the Ghats of Kerala. He was happy to survive! The salesman who sold it to him was so embarrassed since it was a mutual friend of us. I am sure its an exception. Maybe an off case of say 1 out of 1000. But try telling this logic to that owner!

Apologies for going off-topic!

Last edited by Trapezio : 14th January 2009 at 21:57.
Old 14th January 2009, 22:01   #596
Senior - BHPian

Here is the Linea brochure
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DetailedBrochure.pdf (1.27 MB, 1327 views)
Old 14th January 2009, 22:02   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Of course, I'm sure it'll be quite 'ok' to drive. But picture this, you're on a decent stretch of highway, doing a sedate 80 kmph and an ugly Mahindra Ingenio, with its 112bhp, 240NM torque, 6 people inside, hood scoop and all, overtakes the Linea. Maybe, just maybe, the Linea can muster up enough juice to catch the Ingenio - but it'll be embarrassingly tough.
Good in theory, but that would be true for any car - including a Flying Spur doing a sedate 80, and intends to do so.

Then again, assuming both are equally capable drivers -impossible in practice. According to ACI/OD tests, Scorpio 2.6 CRDe cannot catch up with the Linea. Linea has a better 0-100, 20-80, 40-100 & top speed compared to the 2.6 engine. So a detuned Ingenio based on a similar engine 2.5 will never be able to.

For all the Folks who think Linea is underpowered:
let me also give the numbers between Linea D & Scorpio 2.6 CRDe. All numbers form ACI, except Standing 1 Km which is from OD. I believe Scorpio to be a machine with decent grunt - so this will give you some perspective.

0-100kmph Linea (15.04) Scorpio (16.53) : Linea has a near 2 sec advantage
20-80 in 3rd Linea (11.86) Scorpio (13.69) : Linea has a 2 sec advantage
40-100 in 4th Linea (13.64) Scorpio (17.07) : substantial win
Top speed Linea (168) Scorpio (152)
Standing 1 KM
Linea (36.47) Scorpio (38.52) : >2 secs again

Last edited by SkyWalker : 14th January 2009 at 22:16. Reason: provided data points
Old 14th January 2009, 22:02   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Honda will have better performance and badge. Linea will have better fuel efficiency, and comes fully loaded, equal or better space, better handling & dynamics.

Things are getting interesting in C+ segment.
You forgot one more thing : Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Delhi price of Emoti
on Pk - 810004, Excellent pricing.
I think PK includes Air bags and Blue & Me - CAn anyone confirm?
Emotion Pack does come with Dual Airbags & Blue & me , Alloys. Emotion variant comes without these features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
All those arguing that the drop from 90bhp to 83.9 bhp is not a huge thing, I am sure it will be once the car hits expressway.
It would be better you drive it before you comment further!!!
Old 14th January 2009, 22:07   #599
Senior - BHPian

Sometime ago i had started a thread about buying a Diesel with the criteria being *performance/FTD* advantage it offers, over its petrol sibling, as against monthly running. While this holds true for cars like Verna and Swift, owing to the Diesel versions being much more fun to drive, i am afraid one cannot say the same about Linea. 67.2 bhp/ton and 170.4 Nm/ton is nothing. So someone with medium to low running would be only wasting his money if he buys the diesel version. My 2 cents.

Last edited by DCEite : 14th January 2009 at 22:12. Reason: Time is money :p
Old 14th January 2009, 22:11   #600
BHPian

Congrats SID. Why SID "INDICA" now you shuold be called sidi20or sid linea or sid scoopmaster? what say.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks