Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 22:17   #601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
You forgot one more thing : Diesel

Emotion Pack does come with Dual Airbags & Blue & me , Alloys. Emotion variant comes without these features.

It would be better you drive it before you comment further!!!
Good news for me then as i am not interested in getting Airbags. Alloys would prefer from outside of my choice and Blue & me - well bluetooth kits are available for that.
So guess a cool 50-60k can be saved while purchasing initially.
Old 14th January 2009, 22:22   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Good news for me then as i am not interested in getting Airbags. Alloys would prefer from outside of my choice and Blue & me - well bluetooth kits are available for that.
Go for the Emotion variant. The wheel caps on it do look good enough! So when you booking one??
Old 14th January 2009, 22:24   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Go for the Emotion variant. The wheel caps on it do look good enough! So when you booking one??
Haven't seen the wheelcaps on that one. Got any picture?
As soon as Dad approves it . Though this will be my first car with my own hard earned money his approval is a must. Might be next month as this month have already purchased Dell Laptop
Old 14th January 2009, 22:24   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post

Of course, I'm sure it'll be quite 'ok' to drive. But picture this, you're on a decent stretch of highway, doing a sedate 80 kmph and an ugly Mahindra Ingenio, with its 112bhp, 240NM torque, 6 people inside, hood scoop and all, overtakes the Linea. Maybe, just maybe, the Linea can muster up enough juice to catch the Ingenio - but it'll be embarrassingly tough.
It depends on what one's priorities are. When I am on the highway, my priority is safety above everything else and if I am driving sedately, I won't let a moron, whether in an ingenio or in an alto change that. I don't travel on the highways to race or to show others that I have a faster vehicle, I want to enjoy my drive and get to my destination without any incidents. So the ability to outrun an ingenio or an indica is the last thing I would consider while buying a car. In that respect I can't think of a better car than a linea at that price.
Old 14th January 2009, 22:25   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Of course, I'm sure it'll be quite 'ok' to drive. But picture this, you're on a decent stretch of highway, doing a sedate 80 kmph and an ugly Mahindra Ingenio, with its 112bhp, 240NM torque, 6 people inside, hood scoop and all, overtakes the Linea. Maybe, just maybe, the Linea can muster up enough juice to catch the Ingenio - but it'll be embarrassingly tough.
Road rage is not just about power, man. The car should give you enough confidence and driver should be skilled and alert enough. Let me tell you, no one had even raced confidently with me even with my 53bhp Indica DLS, not even on Krishnagiri Chennai highway and I'm pretty sensible driver who would slow down or stop for anything that is required.

And my recent drives in Spark, I (with three adults inside) had raced once with the so called responsive Swift Petrol on the new Dharmapuri bypass highway and he would only catch me up when I take a break (nature's call or snacks or something) and I would catch them up. I mention this Swift only because he was obviously ahead of the others. BTW, I had also driven this Swift petrol with three adults on highway (Bangalore to Pattinamthita in Kerala) and I didn't feel that much more confident than Indica. It was good, nothing great about it. And another My spark raced with a DZire LDI on Allepey to Cochin highway. Again I mention this car because so many other rash drivers of various cars couldn't catch him up. I would catch him up on my Spark and next we would meet in a red signal. There he would marginally be ahead of me and I would again eventually catch him up. It happened on various signals. Having said that I find Swift diesel (the same in DZire) extremely good to drive.

But the point is unless we really have a US kind of freeways, power is not going to be that much necessary. But torque is necessary, specially at low revs. If the vehicle pulls cleanly till 200Kmph, so what? Yes. I too would love to drive cars with more power though I cannot afford really powerful ones. I just pointed out that the argument of Ingenio overtaking Linea and thus giving an embarassment is far fetched. I say, does anybody dare to race their car with my cycle on the way to office

Linea will defintely pull cleanly till 120Kmph and that is good for highways. Did I overdo in defending Linea? Sorry. I wanted to boast a little bit about my racing skill :-)

Quote:
Even though you may not need/like them, still 60K for alloys, blue&Me and two airbags is still irresistable price, I would say.

Last edited by opendro : 14th January 2009 at 22:32.
Old 14th January 2009, 22:32   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Alloys would prefer from outside of my choice and Blue & me - well bluetooth kits are available for that.
Congrats in advance on the purchase decision! However, do keep in mind that finding 98 PCD rims in the aftermarket will be hard.
Old 14th January 2009, 22:36   #607
Senior - BHPian

i thought the petrol motor was an 8V 1.4L? how come the flash says 16v?

One place where i am dissapointed though is the front disc and rear drums! :( i was hoping for all 4 disc brakes! c'est la vie!

the price looks awesome - need to TD the car now.
Old 14th January 2009, 22:37   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Road rage is not just about power, man. The car should give you enough confidence and driver should be skilled and alert enough. Let me tell you, no one had even raced confidently with me even with my 53bhp Indica DLS, not even on Krishnagiri Chennai highway and I'm pretty sensible driver who would slow down or stop for anything that is required.

Linea will defintely pull cleanly till 120Kmph and that is good for highways. Did I overdo in defending Linea? Sorry. I wanted to boast a little bit about my racing skill :-)

Even though you may not need/like them, still 60K for alloys, blue&Me and two airbags is still irresistable price, I would say.
+1 to that. Am still making up my mind. Will Td first and get a feel of it and then lesse what develops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
It depends on what one's priorities are. When I am on the highway, my priority is safety above everything else and if I am driving sedately, I won't let a moron, whether in an ingenio or in an alto change that. I don't travel on the highways to race or to show others that I have a faster vehicle, I want to enjoy my drive and get to my destination without any incidents. So the ability to outrun an ingenio or an indica is the last thing I would consider while buying a car. In that respect I can't think of a better car than a linea at that price.
+1 to that as well. Yes i have aderaline pumps here and there specially when i am in the mood and then yes i can race with anyone anywhere but over the years i have see by experience its better to drive safely and reach your destination without any harm to you or your vehicle then become a rally driver on a highway and cause danger to everyone including YOU!

@Swale- Thanks mate. I know they are difficult to find but am quiet particular in my choices and normally i dont like the Company ones. Lets see if Linea has some good options with dealer itself.

Last edited by harry10 : 14th January 2009 at 22:39.
Old 14th January 2009, 22:38   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post

One place where i am dissapointed though is the front disc and rear drums! :( i was hoping for all 4 disc brakes! c'est la vie!
I think that the 1.4 is 16V, twin cam motor with vvti, and hence the relatively good specific output.
The 8V 1.4 produces 76bhp.
I was also expecting discs all round. But may be it was too much expecting.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 14th January 2009 at 22:41.
Old 14th January 2009, 22:40   #610
BHPian

Power IS important on highways as you can overtake vehicles with surety. Of course you cant think of looking at safety vs. power trade-off. Ideally you would want both.

If I was in the market, Linea would be top-of-mind. But before putting in my money I would wait for a few initial ownership reports (5000 km reports) and also get a sense of FIAT's famed A*S*S for this vehicle.

Also am keen to look at FE especially Linea Petrol's. Which vehicle (available in India) is it comparable to in global markets in terms of FE - which may give a sense of on road FE.

~maniac
Old 14th January 2009, 22:43   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post

the price looks awesome - need to TD the car now.
Madan, Fiat offers the 1.4 l FIRE engine in two variants - a 1.4 l 8v SOHC, which puts out 75 PS and a 1.4 l 16 V DOHC which puts out 95 PS (or 90PS as the case may be for the INdian market)

It's the second variant that has been launched in India.
Old 14th January 2009, 23:16   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
equal or better space, better handling & dynamics.
from what I read, the space inside ANHC seems to be more. Regarding handling and dynamics, it is going to be debatable.
Old 14th January 2009, 23:19   #613
Senior - BHPian

@Guna: See the OD comparo for Jan 09. Linea wins hands down for handling & dynamics. I have driven both cars and really no comparison on handling & ride between linea & ANHC.
Old 14th January 2009, 23:21   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Its not fuss. Why did Fiat do it in first place for a car that is not coming with a lightweight chassis. And in the test reports it was printed 90bhp ( ACI made Linea car of the year before it was launches and in the scoop test it was rated at 90 bhp ). Dropping more than 5bhp ( 85.2 PS, 1bhp = 1.0149PS, so its 85.2/1.0149 = 83.9 bhp ) will certainly affect highway performance specially considering that this is not N43 from BMW with a strong top end.
I am neither comfortable with mathematical equations nor the technical terminology so kindly correct me wherever I am wrong.

The power to weight ratio of the following cars are:

Linea - 0.066, Dzire - 0.066, Fiesta1.4 - 0.058

Calculations:

Linea- BHP = 86, Weight = 1291
86/1.0149 = 84.74

P to W = 84.74/1291 = 0.0656

So, the power to weight ratio of both Linea and Dzire are same whereas Fiesta has a low P to W ratio. I seriously don't understand this excitement over Linea being underpowered.
Old 14th January 2009, 23:23   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Road rage is not just about power, man.
Eh. Where did 'Road Rage' come from bro? I was talking about a well driven Ingenio overtaking a Linea in a normal highway situation!

Quote:
And my recent drives in Spark, I (with three adults inside) had raced once with the so called responsive Swift Petrol on the new Dharmapuri bypass highway and he would only catch me up when I take a break (nature's call or snacks or something) and I would catch them up.
Comparing a Spark to a Swift! I shall refrain from any comments!

Quote:
But the point is unless we really have a US kind of freeways, power is not going to be that much necessary.
Yes, on a long stretch with frequent stops/toll booths, a faster driver might only save a few minutes, if at all. But well, that's not my point! Its just that nice warm feeling you get when safely overtake with lots of reserve power left. I love that. And when I TDed the BMW 530d y'day night with its 500NM monster, I LOVED IT - I wished like crazy I were buying it and not my colleague. Power, my friend, can never be 'adequate'!

Quote:
I just pointed out that the argument of Ingenio overtaking Linea and thus giving an embarassment is far fetched.
Sorry, dont see your logic. I wont be happy when the Ingenio goes by. Maybe I'll catch up with him when he's at the Toll/Dhaba/using a restroom/having lunch. But I won't be happy mate! That's just me! .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz;
Astleviz, to each his own. My priority is to reach safely too, but I dont like 'sedate' driving. And I dont walk this path alone (not in TBHP at least!). Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker;
For all the Folks who think Linea is underpowered:
let me also give the numbers between Linea D & Scorpio 2.6 CRDe. All numbers form ACI, except Standing 1 Km which is from OD. I believe Scorpio to be a machine with decent grunt - so this will give you some perspective.
Skywalker, hope its true. Will know post my TD. I'll take the ACI numbers with a big pinch of salt for now, thank you very much (Remember, it just gave the Linea a COTY 08 award - this, for a car which'll hit the roads in 09!)

Last edited by d_himan : 14th January 2009 at 23:24.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed