Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2009, 09:55   #646
BHPian

Excellent pics madhokritesh.Fiat and Tata has Priced The Linea so well and definitely this car will set a new benchmark in C segment.
Old 15th January 2009, 10:14   #647
BHPian

Wow !!! Finally the Linea has arrived and with a bang. Fiat sure did deliver to its promise by shocking us with the prices. As for the power debate the only use I can get out of the power of my machine was when on the hill drive. I am yet to ascertain the power quotient of Linea on the hill drive.

Riding on a incline was quite easy with Verna and I am left to wonder after all the discussions around this thread how comfortable would Linea be when pulling 4-5 passengers on the incline/hill drive. As for the highway's if it can cruise at 120 kph at ease I dont think I would wanna push it or any other car any further.

In all we wish Fiat all the very best and great fortunes for getting this awesome feature loaded sedan to our shores bang on time. Will be desperately looking to get some ownership reviews as soon as they happen. This one has to be my next if my greed surpasses my necessities and lures me to change my year old sedan already
Old 15th January 2009, 10:18   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
opendro,
Spark beating a Swift on the highway ? The Swift was being driven by some retired uncle ?
As you kindled me, I'm putting things into perspective again.

As I mentioned Swift was ahead of everyone and thus I mention that only. The odo in Spark often read 150 (not sure what is the actual speed). You think that is not enough even to catch up somebody driving Bughati on Dharmapuri highway? And I had driven the Swift petrol on the same road earlier. It didn't seem to give me any benefit of the power as the truck and bus traffic on that road demands quick brake and acceleration.

You are from TN. So, when you get a chance, please drive the highway from Alleypey to Cochin once in the evening to understand what I meant. Of course that DZire was well ahead of the rest and I caught him up every time before he catch me up again in the next red signal.

So, the point was that even Spark was good enough to be ahead of everyone. I have clocked from home (Bangalore inside city) to home (Coimbatore inside city) in Indica DLS in peak traffic 5:30 hours when the multilane highway was only till Krishnagiri. Do you again think that driving an Optra Magnum diesel would have improved that time drastically? I doubt.
Old 15th January 2009, 10:31   #649
BHPian

The Linea Website does not have display any of the dealer information or the price, and it looks like both the engines have been detuned to somewhat extend. Why fiat why ?
Old 15th January 2009, 10:32   #650
BHPian

the pics look great the best would be the black fiat with the black grille, smoked tail lamps and gunmetal alloys, Oh i can dream ... Umm why are the cars Dirty, okay the wheels are dirty because they were in the lawn, what about the engine bays ?
Old 15th January 2009, 10:39   #651
BHPian

also can someone compare the Length and Width of the Linea with that of the Civic & altic
Old 15th January 2009, 10:44   #652
BHPian

Petrol Heads

Post deleted. Do not use font/size/colour tags. Do not copy paste replies from other applications.

Please post it again.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th January 2009 at 11:17. Reason: tags
Old 15th January 2009, 10:56   #653
BANNED

Fashion Show?? They still do all this?? Why cant we have a pure launch. I know all the dance and pretty faces strutting their stuff is pleasing to the eyes, good in an expo but somehow i dont get all the noise for a car launch. The actual car gets sidelined.

I know it would be boring but then atleast we know the focus is there. End of the day the dance and song is not going to sell their cars. The money could have been better utilized to get some respectability back where it was required.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:10   #654
Senior - BHPian

Pal, great pix. Was a change from normal ones

1.4L , 16V, 90bhp, 111mph top; Petrol.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:10   #655
BHPian

Copy & paste gone spoilt the post, actually link to the site was not working
Old 15th January 2009, 11:15   #656
Senior - BHPian

- The power output - How come none of the auto magazines reported on the exact power output figures? Looks like Fiat handed them the car without any briefing or brochures and they 'thought' they were driving a 90bhp car.

- The discussion on lower power is interesting. Forget the journo's, even members here drove the car and found it ok. Looks like Fiat was doing some kind of experiment on how psychology plays a role in customer expectations!

- Still, lower power is disappointing .

- BUT, it's probably a smart business move. Fiat has positioned the car right between the Fiesta and Verna in terms of fuel efficiency and performance. If I was selling the Linea this is how I would deal with questions from prospective buyers:

1.) If the prospect tells me that Fiesta is more fuel efficient, I would tell him "But sir, this has better performance!"

2.) Ask me how does the average compare with Fiesta and I will tell you "It's got as good mileage as the Fiesta with better performance too!"

3.) Tell me Verna has better performance, I will tell you "this has much better mileage!"

- Even more is the way Fiat handled the detuned bhp.

- I do agree with those who say that figures on paper is one thing and actual performance is another. The SX4 has 102bhp but the engine is lazy and totally dead till 2500rpm. How often can you drive at a constant 2500+rpm in India? SX4's engine to me feels like it's 80bhp and not 102.

- Fiat has failed in creating a buzz on the launch. Neither IE nor HT has any report on the Linea launch. HT carried a pic of the Xylo launch in New Delhi and Jag-LR cutting 450 jobs abroad.

- What were the top officials talking about in the launch?

- I agree that they looked totally bored. Very poor body language. Maybe they were bored with the fashion show.

- We will have to wait till March to know how well the car is selling since Feb will be the first full month of Linea sales. Deliveiries start from Jan 26 is what I have read.

Last edited by amit : 15th January 2009 at 11:20.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:23   #657
BHPian

Quote:
- Fiat has failed in creating a buzz on the launch. Neither IE nor HT has any report on the Linea launch. HT carried a pic of the Xylo launch in New Delhi and Jag-LR cutting 450 jobs abroad

There is full page ad on the last page of TOI New Delhi edition
Old 15th January 2009, 11:26   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post

There is full page ad on the last page of TOI New Delhi edition
Same in the Bangalore edition too.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:30   #659
BHPian

In Mumbai TOI also there is a Full page on the last page.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:31   #660
BHPian

Petrol Engine

Here is a bit of info about Fiat Engines
New Fiat Bravo: engines and transmissions

The 1.4 L 16v petrol engine is the same, the site does not have info on 1.3 multijet (which in any case is not required )
Closed Thread

Most Viewed