Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 01:06   #1

Sedan to Hatch!

Hello guys,

I own a FIAT Petra 1.6 '05 model. Have run it like a war horse all 3.8 years and have taken it to places where one cant think of. It has never let me down. The 100 horses, ride quality and superior built has been the hallmark of the relationship till now. But I had my share of niggling problems like the clutch cylinder, brakepads.

Met with an accident 3 months back and had a frustrating experience in getting spares.
Literally went bonkers over unavailability of the power steering pipe, along with other spares. Can you believe, this pipe wasn't available in the entire south of India. (Kerala, K'taka, AP, TN) Took 2 months to get my car back home.

Ever since its back, its nagging with something or the other. The ignition coil going bust for the second time now.

Much so, I went and checked out some cars in the past 2 months..

My love for FIAT took me to Concorde, where the Linea was out for display today. After hours of drooling over the magnificent Linea, I am all the more confused! It is beauty and brains together. The lines and the curves just don't seem to end, no wonder it looks such a long car. I don't think I want to go for it, as its too much of a luxurious car. Does not suit my driving style and needs. The 1.3 Quadrajet has a different mapping compared to FIAT Palio-TATA Aura.

But I was awed by the new diesel engine FIAT has come up with.
FIAT has come up with this stellar 1.3 engine which gets customized to different needs of different segment cars.

I test drove the FIAT Stile - MJD and couldn't get my feet from the paddle. This one just flies away.

Interestingly the new Vista-Aura too has the same engine, but clocks 190Torque at much lower RPM. The plastics and build quality have improved a bit, but incomparable to Stile. I have never been inclined to Marutis or Hyundais, and Skoda is too pricey. Didn't find the Fiesta diesel engine as peppy as FIAT's.

I want to know from owners, who have moved from a sedan to hatchback, how much does the downgrade really hit practically. I also know it looks a bit weird to see a carrier on top of a Palio.

Given a choice, I would want to retain my 1.6 Petra, and still buy a new Stile MJD.

Also read today, Indigo is getting launched in a new avataar.

http://www.******************/spied-...w-tata-indigo/

Sorry guys, I know its a tricky one I have asked.

-Rahul
Old 4th January 2009, 14:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldongre View Post
I don't think I want to go for it, as its too much of a luxurious car. Does not suit my driving style and needs.
Rahul, I have to say thats a new reason for not choosing a car! I mean, not choosing a car because it's too luxurious? Come on, it's just a C segment Linea not a BMW!

Could you eloberate on your driving style and needs? Quite often we feel a particular product wouldn't fit our needs but when you actually buy it you begin to wonder how you survived without those features and slowly you start to realise that you have actually started appreciating those same features that you thought you don't need.
Old 4th January 2009, 15:57   #3
BHPian

since you have exprienced fiat a.s.s, still you plan another fiat (linea). becoz u love driving why don't you consider verna or getz crdi (if u want a hatch) or wait for i20 diesel.
Old 4th January 2009, 16:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Isnt this thread on a wrong location instead of Hatchbacks - Team-BHP

And regarding the cars, test drive Getz CRDi and Verna CRdi. This will change your opinion about Linea and Palio MJD performing well. i20 crdi is also rumored. to be coming in around Feb 2009. Around March April, Splash is also expected.
Old 4th January 2009, 18:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

i think the fiat linea will be the best decision you have ever made in your life~ if fiat wants to ever get the monkey off their back, the linea and the grande punto are the cars to do it! trust me, except for service woes(which fiat will have to eventually iron out as they sell these cars by the truckload) there is nothing that prevents someone from buying a linea/grande punpo
Old 4th January 2009, 19:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

There's a saying in Hindi that a dog's tail never becomes straight. Spares inavailability will remain.

Though the other perspective is-
Even the most unfortunate of us NEVER have such accidents in quick succession. Once in 4 years may be worth the experience - esp as a second car.

And of course, linea da jawab nahin.

Just not recommending, but giving suggestions - YMMV

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks