Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 19:31   #16
BHPian

@ Manolin, that's standard. That particular toll doesn;t have the concept of return toll, but you can get a monthly pass if you're going to use that route regularly.

I think N_C uses that stretch everyday.
Old 13th January 2009, 18:55   #17
BHPian

@technocrat - I understand that I should be paying for what i use. Only thing was that i am under the impression that the toll is for development of all the roads in Navi Mumbai. If the toll is only in relation to that particular road then fair enough, i feel fine paying for it whenever i use it.

On another note, I generally take that route when late in the night around 2-2.30 am i feel like going for a drive and am heading out on the expressway to Lonavla and back. However each time you do it, the toll takes its toll. Total is Rs. 200 Rupees in just toll. To that add some snacks at the MCdonalds, 1 pack cigarettes, petrol, coke; life is just becoming more and more expensive.
Old 13th January 2009, 19:02   #18
BHPian

@technocrat - I understand that I should be paying for what i use. Only thing was that i am under the impression that the toll is for development of all the roads in Navi Mumbai. If the toll is only in relation to that particular road then fair enough, i feel fine paying for it whenever i use it.

On another note, I generally take that route when late in the night around 2-2.30 am i feel like going for a drive and am heading out on the expressway to Lonavla and back. However each time you do it, the toll takes its toll. Total is Rs. 200 Rupees in just toll. To that add some snacks at the MCdonalds, 1 pack cigarettes, petrol, coke; life is just becoming more and more expensive.
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:41   #19

Navi Mumbai Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post

@Manolin: I fully empathise with you. Paying Rs. 30 to & fro each does n't really help us. But thats a fact. I would go on & look for another positive, which is assuming you are staying anywhere between Dahisar to Goregaon area. I fyou take the Ghodbunder Road by any chance, you have to pay at 2-3 Toll Nakas, shelling out atleast Rs. 100 to & fro + Expressway tax.

However, your life becoming expensive is purely personal, It depends on how much you expend. I wouldn't comment on that.

In a nut shell, I am with you !!
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:30   #20
BHPian

Toll Plaza rules are pretty simple really.

You are charged for a one-way use of the road being maintained by the company. Quite a few also have the return trip, monthly pass options.

What's really irritating at toll plazas is people who pull up and hand over a Rs.500 note when a toll is a mere Rs.30! Just how difficult is it to keep some change handy!
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post

The money that you pay is money for entering and exiting Mumbai, and it is valid at all 5 entry/exit points for Mumbai (Vashi, Airoli, Thane, Mulund, Dahisar). This has been in place for some years now. Was originally 25, and now increased to 30 for cars. It does not go to the development of Navi Mumbai.

As regards the increasing costs of life in general, well its true, thats inflation for you. Compound that with rampant corruption of our dear politicians and it gets worse with each passing day. For instance, the old highway to pune was non tolled, but was made tolled only recently since the contractor IRB claimed to be making losses on the Pune Expressway. So, with hardly any investment on improving the old road, and without tenders, he was given the contract to collect toll on that road as well. BTW, he controls all the entry/exit points to Mumbai, the Thane toll road, the Pune expressway, the old Pune road, and now the Bombay Surat road too. Daily collection of approx 1.25 crores and thats only the official figures.
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:40   #22
BHPian

Hi guys,

I stay at Kandivali and had to go to Reliance office in Mahape. The first day I took the Ghodbunder road. I had to pay toll at Dahisar check naka and Ghodbunder road. After reaching Thane, I was so tempted to take the exit for Mulund and take the Airoli bridge on my way to Mahape. This streach of around 10-15 Kms can be made up in 15 mins with a traffic free strech of eastern express highway and the Airoli bridge. But then you need to pay a ridiculous Rs 60 for that 15 kms. Instead I took internal Thane roads and the Kalwa bridge which took an agonizing 40 mins of time.
On highways, on a recent trip to daman, I came across a couple of tolls where a lot of cars were just bypassing the booths saying they are locals. Is this practice normal ?

All this toll business makes me wonder sometimes the reason for us paying taxes in the first place. Aren't good roads, airports etc a government responsibility towards its tax paying people. Or are these responsbilities only for slogan shouting for government sponsored adverts on primetime.
Come to think about the amount of extra levy that government or private operators charge these days.
Sticking only to road related instances - keeping in mind the scope of this forum - for any decent strech of road or bridge these days, we have a toll. You need to park your car at a decent place - pay parking charges. This is on top of road taxes, octroi etc that we pay here in Mumbai when we buy cars.
I was wondering if at least the tolls that we pay can be made tax free. You basically pay the toll, keep the receipt and reimburse the amount at the end of the financial year. Say just as we have LTA or Medical reimbursement.
I know it sounds too radical but thats just a thought.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd February 2009 at 13:07.
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For instance, the old highway to pune was non tolled, but was made tolled only recently since the contractor IRB claimed to be making losses on the Pune Expressway. So, with hardly any investment on improving the old road, and without tenders, he was given the contract to collect toll on that road as well.
Thats so not true, before they added Toll to the old highway, they broadened the roads repaired them & put dividers on. The tolled road is much better than the non tolled one.
Old 18th June 2010, 16:07   #24
BANNED

I need to cross Airoli Toll Naka 2-3 times tommorow.
i.e. will go from Bombay to Vashi via Airoli - return to Bombay - go back to Vashi - return again.

Is it possible to get a day pass or return pass at the Airoli Toll Naka?
Or do I have to pay 4 times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthym View Post
Sticking only to road related instances - keeping in mind the scope of this forum - for any decent strech of road or bridge these days, we have a toll. You need to park your car at a decent place - pay parking charges. This is on top of road taxes, octroi etc that we pay here in Mumbai when we buy cars.
I was wondering if at least the tolls that we pay can be made tax free. You basically pay the toll, keep the receipt and reimburse the amount at the end of the financial year. Say just as we have LTA or Medical reimbursement.
I know it sounds too radical but thats just a thought.
You can do that if you are running a business & this is a business related expense.
Sadly, I don't think any such provision exists for salaried guys - unless of course you get it expensed by your company, then they deduct it from their income.

Last edited by carboy : 18th June 2010 at 16:10.
Old 18th June 2010, 16:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

I must have paid close to 1 lakh INR in tolls in the last 5 years! I am sure HVK has paid more
Old 18th June 2010, 16:47   #26
BHPian

Maybe in another 5 years all the Main NH's will be "toll" roads.

2 weeks back I drove down to Cochin from Chennai.
I paid Rs. 264/- as toll (one toll plaza was still being built else it would have been another Rs. 34/-)

A second class train ticket is 300/-

We pay 8% as "life tax" when we buy cars and get it registered so tolls are road tax ++ ? Again this "life" tax is only for the state of registration. So much for 1 India and all that.

Ridiculous if you ask me.
Old 19th June 2010, 09:30   #27
BANNED

Anyone have an answer to my Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I need to cross Airoli Toll Naka 2-3 times tommorow. i.e. will go from Bombay to Vashi via Airoli - return to Bombay - go back to Vashi - return again.

Is it possible to get a day pass or return pass at the Airoli Toll Naka?
Or do I have to pay 4 times?
Old 19th June 2010, 12:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How about By passing the Vashi Toll? Extreme left on both the ends does not have that hammer thing (The one that stops us). I know this is not the right thing, but I have paid enough toll all this while so use this!
Old 19th June 2010, 12:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
We pay 8% as "life tax" when we buy cars and get it registered so tolls are road tax ++ ? Again this "life" tax is only for the state of registration. So much for 1 India and all that.

Ridiculous if you ask me.
To be fair to the government, it was the easiest method of improving road infrastructure. And I think it works well, apart from when private companies sub-contract other private companies, who compromise on quality, and then whistle-blowers are murdered.
Old 19th June 2010, 12:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
There is no day pass. There is also no return pass. you must pay Rs.30 for each time you pass their toll PLAZA (dont know why they call it a PLAZA. Even though its correct English, i think that Toll and Plaza are like - and +)

But as amtak said, I too have observed that the guys on the extreme left toll booth are lazy. I have seen people just pass through and the guys just dont even try to stop them. The toll guys do extend a hand, trying to tell them to pay. But by body language they say 'OK if you pay and OK also if you dont pay. I will be paid anyways'. I am not suggesting you this, its just what I have observed.

Last edited by benzinblut : 19th June 2010 at 12:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks