Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 17:26   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
There may be a more appropriate thread, but I have not been able to find.
I am interested in knowing how to change the name on DL after marriage. DL issued in State1 and person is now married and moved to State2. Both name and address need to be updated.

Where do we start?
I did something similar for my wife here in Pune. The difference was that we had moved city in the same state. The procedure remains the same:
1. Get NOC from state 1 RTO.
2. Submit Marriage certificate, NOC and address proof to state 2 RTO.

What we did was approach the Western India Automobile Association (Western India Automobile Association - WIAA Welcomes You), in Camp, Pune. We became members of the WIAA and they guided us in the procedure, they helped draft the letters to the relevent RTO's and sent those letters for us. Very helpful and well worth the memebership fee. Don't approach Pune RTO and hire an agent as their costs will be killer compared the the proper way. The whole procedure took approx 7-8 weeks, out of which my wife was without her licence for about 2 weeks.

Phone the WIAA before you visit them as they have odd working hours and you can end up visiting them when they are closed!

Last edited by Raja : 13th July 2010 at 17:27.
Old 12th August 2015, 22:48   #17
BANNED

Re: Legality of multiple licenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I did something similar for my wife here in Pune. The difference was that we had moved city in the same state. The procedure remains the same:
1. Get NOC from state 1 RTO.
2. Submit Marriage certificate, NOC and address proof to state 2 RTO.

What we did was approach the Western India Automobile Association (Western India Automobile Association - WIAA Welcomes You), in Camp, Pune. We became members of the WIAA and they guided us in the procedure, they helped draft the letters to the relevent RTO's and sent those letters for us. Very helpful and well worth the memebership fee. Don't approach Pune RTO and hire an agent as their costs will be killer compared the the proper way. The whole procedure took approx 7-8 weeks, out of which my wife was without her licence for about 2 weeks.

Phone the WIAA before you visit them as they have odd working hours and you can end up visiting them when they are closed!
Hi all,

Is there a similar association in delhi which can help with the same situation ?

thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 14:39   #18
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread!

Hi All! Wanted your opinion on my Driver's License. The current DL that I have was issued at my hometown but the issue here is with the DOB mentioned on it.
Had got it issued with a wrong DOB just to be able to ride a 2-wheeler, albeit a non-geared one (I know I did something wrong and I curse myself for it)
Now, here in Bangalore, I want to apply for a fresh license with the correct DOB. I understand that as per law, an individual cannot possess 2 different DL's. How do I proceed lawfully?
Old 27th June 2017, 17:06   #19

A noob question:
What's the need of getting a DL transferred across states?
AFAIK, a DL issued from any state is valid pan India, then why get it transferred. One possible reason could be using it as an address proof & since the new address happens to be in a different state, hence the need for transfer.
Any other possible reason ?
mguliani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 17:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Bumping up an old thread!
Now, here in Bangalore, I want to apply for a fresh license with the correct DOB. I understand that as per law, an individual cannot possess 2 different DL's. How do I proceed lawfully?
Your DL is ideally valid pan India. If the issue is with respect to the DOB, I would suggest getting the DOB corrected at the concerned RTO at your hometown.

However, some do hold multiple DL's(eg. one for two-wheeler and another for LMV). In this case I personally do not think that it would be an issue to hold multiple driving license even if they were from different states. A question that pops immediately is, how would one prove that one holds multiple licenses?

Saying that, I would suggest maintaining a single DL with MCWG & LMV. You could as well apply for the same at a different state albeit it can be a little tedious to produce the required documents for proof. After procuring a single DL, writing a termination letter to the RTO issuing the oldest DL might help. This is just a suggestion and I am not very sure if it would work.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 17:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Your DL is ideally valid pan India. If the issue is with respect to the DOB, I would suggest getting the DOB corrected at the concerned RTO at your hometown.
This is just a suggestion and I am not very sure if it would work.
I understand, but the problem here is I I was underage when I got the license through an agent. Now, I cannot go back to the RTO and ask them to update my DOB (It has been almost 15-16 years now) and the license is due to expire in 2021.
Having said that, I have all valid proofs here in Bangalore. Wanted an opinion in terms of whether I should apply for a fresh license and keep mum about the previous one?
Old 27th June 2017, 18:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Having said that, I have all valid proofs here in Bangalore. Wanted an opinion in terms of whether I should apply for a fresh license and keep mum about the previous one?
Applying a fresh license might be involving a lesser effort in that case, but just read from one of the posts in a previous page that the repercussion is that you would have to live with a learner's license for certain duration.
Old 27th June 2017, 18:06   #23
BANNED

My son's license completes its initial 20 year next year. I checked with a local agent. He told me that he essentially needs address proof (new address) and a copy of the old license. So we have his Aadhar and a copy of the license, both self attested. I will move the RTO nearer the time.
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Govt Plans Database to Crack Whip on Those With Multiple Driving Licences.

The government is preparing a database of driving licences to check issuance of multiple licences by different authorities to a single person, Union Minister Nitin Gadkari said earlier. The minister also said that India suffered a shortage of at least 22 lakh drivers and a skilled force was being created to fill the void and there was no question of allowing driverless cars.

"To check issuance of multiple licensees to any individual, the government is creating a database of driving licences. At present, getting a licence is much easier in India and there are instances where individuals possess multiple licences issued by different states," Gadkari, who heads Road Transport and Highways Ministry said at an event.

Full News: https://www.news18.com/news/auto/gov...s-1884371.html
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 21:54   #25
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread.

My wife’s DL was issue in Kolkata and is now expired. We are now settled in Bangalore. Will it be legal for her to apply for fresh license with learning license first? If not, what will be the ideal way to go about getting license?

Most Viewed