Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2009, 10:55   #1
BHPian

Proposed increase in road tax on 4-wheelers in Pune

Hi,

Came across a news that the Pune Municipal Corporation has proposed to double the road tax on 4-wheelers from the current 5%. My question is, is the road tax decided by municipal corporations or state governments?
Also, for Pune members, would people not prefer to register their vehicle in neighboring Pimpri Chinchwad to benefit from lower taxes and still able to use their vehicles in PMC limits?
Old 7th January 2009, 11:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Hi,

Came across a news that the Pune Municipal Corporation has proposed to double the road tax on 4-wheelers from the current 5%. My question is, is the road tax decided by municipal corporations or state governments?
Also, for Pune members, would people not prefer to register their vehicle in neighboring Pimpri Chinchwad to benefit from lower taxes and still able to use their vehicles in PMC limits?
I stay in Mulund-Mumbai (Where tax is high) which is linked to Thane(Where tax is low), still my RC has Mumbai address. My point is in long run it will not make any difference to people like me. (And I believe others too.)

That is also not permitted to do Right??
Old 7th January 2009, 12:12   #3
BHPian

Is this for the new vehicles or includes the old cars?

Also this will still not solve problem. There is no good public transportation arrangement , BRT is a big big joke , auto riksha in pune suburbs do not use meters ( and many time effective per km rate is more than 1st class AC Railway fair)
every six month some politician will talk about sky bus , meto , XYZ but finally nothing happens.
Once the cycle city is now turned into traffic ceotic city.
Old 7th January 2009, 12:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, for Pune members, would people not prefer to register their vehicle in neighboring Pimpri Chinchwad
People are already doing that. If you have a address in PCMC you can surely get your vehicle registered there.

Btw surprisngly I was charged more for PCMC registration for my Bike(they said Octroi was applicable)
Old 7th January 2009, 16:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am getting my KA regd. car from Bangalore to Pune. On enquiring at the RTO in Bangalore, the superintedent and the ARTO said that the NOC was not required since the movement is for a year or even less. Also he said the NOC is reqd. only if the regn. is going to be changed.

I plan to use the car here for a year only without changing the regn no. I will be paying road tax for 1 year.

Can anyone let me know if I will face any issues driving my car in MH without an NOC but having paid a years road tax? Also i would be grateful if someone could refer me any contact in the Pune RTO for payment of the road tax for 1 yr. Also what would the approx. charges be for paying road tax in MH for 1 yr?

would greatly appreciate any replies in this matter. thanks.
Old 7th January 2009, 19:42   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

when is it likely to hike? I have two cars being registered in the next few days, hope I don't have to pay the extra tax as the 3% octroi is already ruining the party.
Btw, are you sure road tax is 5%? I think the dealers invoice mentioned 7% of the cars value excluding octroi
Old 7th January 2009, 20:06   #7
BHPian

Pune taxes -

It's already 7% RTO tax
2% Octroi (PMC) Vs 1% in PCMC

PMC has no say in RTO tax.
Old 7th January 2009, 20:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

my dealer charged 86k on an ex showroom price 12.38lacs and said 3% extra octroi to be paid at the time of regn. Is this correct?
Old 8th January 2009, 15:45   #9
BHPian

Sorry guys, but it seems the road tax refers to the one charged by any municipal corporation under property tax document. A link to article is given below.
Steep hike in municipal taxes mooted-Pune-Cities-The Times of India

But I don't know how they'll ascertain whether the owner of the property has a four wheeler. Whether it would be based on parking space owned in a housing society or by physical verification?
Old 8th January 2009, 15:49   #10
BHPian

I guess it was for road tax charged in property tax document and it is not the RTO tax.
http://www.sakaaltimes.com/2009/01/0...r-tax-sho.html
Old 20th July 2011, 23:12   #11
BHPian

Re: Proposed increase in road tax on 4-wheelers in Pune

Guys,

I may have to move to Pune for work (for say 6-12 months). I plan to bring my punto along. The car currently has Delhi DL number and I want to retain that for sure, as I plan to return in the long term.

Whats the MH/Pune RTO ruling for migrant vehicles plying in Pune/Mumbai for less than one year ? I would appreciate if someone could guide me to weblink which has full info on this.
Old 21st July 2011, 00:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

You need NOC from Delhi RTO. Also you would definitely be caught at traffic signals, but if you have the right documents & you explain to them that you are here only for a short period it should be fine. Then again dont count on it.

Another point to note about Pune/Mumbai Police is that they are normally hassle free as long as you talk politely to them, the moment they sense a tone of authority or rudeness they will not give you any concessions.
Old 21st July 2011, 13:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
my dealer charged 86k on an ex showroom price 12.38lacs and said 3% extra octroi to be paid at the time of regn. Is this correct?
Yes, I believe it is correct.
My understanding of Octroi - 3% for Pune Urban (Pune City), 2% for PCMC, and 1% for Pune Rural (Pune district).
Old 21st July 2011, 13:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
You need NOC from Delhi RTO. Also you would definitely be caught at traffic signals, but if you have the right documents & you explain to them that you are here only for a short period it should be fine. Then again dont count on it.

Another point to note about Pune/Mumbai Police is that they are normally hassle free as long as you talk politely to them, the moment they sense a tone of authority or rudeness they will not give you any concessions.
NOC is only if he intending to transfer his vehicle from Delhi jurisdiction, which I believe is not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
Guys,

I may have to move to Pune for work (for say 6-12 months). I plan to bring my punto along. The car currently has Delhi DL number and I want to retain that for sure, as I plan to return in the long term.

Whats the MH/Pune RTO ruling for migrant vehicles plying in Pune/Mumbai for less than one year ? I would appreciate if someone could guide me to weblink which has full info on this.
Unfortunately, there is no time bound road tax in MH. You will have to pay the life time tax with your Delhi number itself and may have to claim the amount back if you leave within the life of tax (which is 15y- current life of your vehicle).

But I guess you are eligible to stay in Pune jurisdiction for up to 6 months without a tax. Also, if you plan to drive to Delhi in between, then there would not be any issue. You can show the Toll receipts or PUC from Delhi to get your stay extended. Car's generally would not be stopped unless you break some law.

Last edited by anilisanil : 21st July 2011 at 14:03.
Old 22nd July 2011, 01:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

While what you have mentioned is true, the first thing that they demand is NOC unless he has a proof which states that he has arrived recently like a fuel bill.

They just accept it on the facevalue & need to see a document else be ready to pay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks