Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 01:48   #61
BHPian

Should have recorded the video of Mr.Hormzad Sorabjee doing a Q & A Session For Fiat India, And this video was shown to us for the Fiat Linea Training, My exact thoughts at the moment was " The ICOTY Award Goes to None Other Than The FIAT LINEA" and it's finally happened, and why is it just a mere coincidence that the price of the Linea was available with the Autocar India people even before the guys who were supposed to sell it have a clue regarding the same,Autocar got the car for testdrive before anyone else did,So does anyone want to guess what happened at the COTY ?

In my openion The ICOTY Award was clearly based on some red Ghandi notes. The Car is totally worth the award,but this early ?
Old 9th January 2009, 16:00   #62
Senior - BHPian

On just car terms, Linea has what it takes to be a success. These include a decent engine, diesel, diesel, diesel, and a competitive price. Let us hope that they have the commitment and the resources to make it a happy long-term ownership experience.
Old 9th January 2009, 19:16   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sorry state of affairs!!! It brings shame to the COTY awards, and takes away credibility from the jury involved. IIRC, BSMotoring had awarded their COTY to the Chevy UVA prior to its launch too!

Slowly & steadily, the magazine COTY awards are going down the tubes.....just like the filmy awards. There are so many of them, and a substantial number of which are rigged, no one really cares anymore?! Think about it, we have like 4 - 5 substantial launches (volume cars) each year. Between 6 magazines, they have it all covered. And everyone's happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
We should give a COTY Award ourselves - to a car that MAY probably be launched this year. Or the next. Or sometime in the near future.
man. They might as well have chosen the yet-to-be-launched Skoda Fabia Estate. Or the new gen Superb. Everyone loves 'em Skodas, remember?
Old 9th January 2009, 19:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Like it matters to general public if FIAT LINEA is car of the year. They will still buy ANHC.
Old 9th January 2009, 19:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post

Like it matters to general public if FIAT LINEA is car of the year. They will still buy ANHC.
Guess you met the complete public in your short life to know they gonna all buy ANHC!
Old 9th January 2009, 19:44   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post

Not Exactly, the undiscerning buyers will see the COTY badge on this product and will definitely go for it.
Old 9th January 2009, 19:58   #67
Senior - BHPian

Very sorry state of affairs indeed.
Maybe they should have given TATA Nano as the car of the year. It too is going to launch in 2009.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Not Exactly, the undiscerning buyers will see the COTY badge on this product and will definitely go for it.
Once a car called Fiat Palio had that badge. And then AVEO-UVA. How many actually ended up buying them?
Old 9th January 2009, 20:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Once a car called Fiat Palio had that badge. And then AVEO-UVA. How many actually ended up buying them?

Sir, You just stole my words there.

I have no problem with Fiat. They make wonderful cars and i like them. I till this date say Palio (prior to face lift) is the best looking hatchback in INDIA.

But that doesn't change a thing for general public. If i right now go and say to my dad that FIAT's new car Linea just won the car of the year award. He will just reply "Its a FIAT don;t consider it". Not that he hates fiat or anything. He also likes Palio as much as i do, but the thing is their A.S.S., spares etc.

And that is just an example. 90% of my friends and family will say the same statement regarding FIAT INDIA.

P.S. I love FIAT as a company and Palio as a car.

Last edited by abhibh : 9th January 2009 at 20:07.
Old 9th January 2009, 20:09   #69
BHPian

I also used to love Fiat to the core and also loved our old Uno and the Palios , But now I hate Fiat as a whole not just the A S S , it's a Flawed company from every single point.
Old 9th January 2009, 20:10   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This is again a wrong decision. For a car that is powered by a motor not sufficient for its mass, its wrong. Agreed that the car has good ride quality and very linear power curve, but then going on to win the award is something not digestable.

A few negative points about Linea :
2) Poor rear seat comfort as compared to rivals, specially headroom due to that too much sloping roof.

A few more contenders that had chance and in my preference they must be
1) Maruti A-star.
Sorry Aaggo, but this is also not digestable either, and is quite contradicting your own point here.

If you are claiming the Linea's rear seat as poor compared to rivals, don't you think the A-Star is very very poor in its rear seat space, shoulder room, small rear windows and miniature boot??

How can this then qualify as a contender for ACI COTY any more than the Fiat Linea can be?? I sure agree Vista and i20 are good contenders, but the A-Star is simply ridiculous and shouldn't be considered just since it's new, its a Maruti vehicle and claims a mileage of around 19kmpl.

cheers...aK
Old 9th January 2009, 20:13   #71
Team-BHP Support

Muneem, why don't you pen down your experience in detail somewhere. Would love to listen from you for obvious reasons. I am fascinated by the forum here loves Fiat but general public hates it.
I am somewhere in between
Old 9th January 2009, 20:16   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
I also used to love Fiat to the core and also loved our old Uno and the Palios , But now I hate Fiat as a whole not just the A S S , it's a Flawed company from every single point.
Sour grapes by any chance ? (Apologies otherwise) Can you please name 3 reasons why you call Fiat a "flawed" company ? (Except A.S.S.)

Most of the people why cry about Fiat a.s.s. would have never experienced it 1st hand. They just read on forums or magazines and form opinions. Just like all those Pseudo-Chelsea fans that we have in India. They came up only after it was bought over by a Russian tycoon and they started winning.

On the other hand, people who have owned Palios/Sienas/Petras simply love the company. Because they know what it is worth. And standby even when the times are tough. These are like fans of clubs like Southampton, Real Zaragoza etc. They stand by their clubs even when they are relegated.
Old 9th January 2009, 20:19   #73
BHPian

When I inquired at Concorde, They were already taking bookings for Linea.
Estimated OTR is 10L+ for high end model

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
The criteria for nomination was not Official Launch - it was "homologation" in 2008.

Linea was available to the Press in 2008, and it was tested too.

Reports are that Fiat sold 130 Linea's in December 2008 - not too sure about the accuracy of that information.
Old 9th January 2009, 20:38   #74
BHPian

I have never faced any problem with the fiat A.S.S. Infact there are two fiat in my family one a petrol 1.2 sprots nv and another diesel multijet. I am taking about bangalore and also there is a mechanic or rather servce center (Empire Motors) in my hometown kerala (Palakkad) who knows in and out of Palio.
Old 9th January 2009, 21:07   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Sour grapes by any chance ? (Apologies otherwise) Can you please name 3 reasons why you call Fiat a "flawed" company ? (Except A.S.S.)

Most of the people why cry about Fiat a.s.s. would have never experienced it 1st hand. They just read on forums or magazines and form opinions. Just like all those Pseudo-Chelsea fans that we have in India. They came up only after it was bought over by a Russian tycoon and they started winning.

On the other hand, people who have owned Palios/Sienas/Petras simply love the company. Because they know what it is worth. And standby even when the times are tough. These are like fans of clubs like Southampton, Real Zaragoza etc. They stand by their clubs even when they are relegated.
Very nicely stated. I am myself witnesses to such Pseudo-Chelsea and MANU fans around me. We have a mentality to form opinions based on others judgement. Like many people said ANHC when it was launched its interiors are crap and leg room quiet less at the back. However when i first checked it i liked the interiors and leg room is also fine at the rear. All about perceptions.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed