Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 12:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Damn!

We should give a COTY Award ourselves - to a car that MAY probably be launched this year. Or the next. Or sometime in the near future.

How about the Mahindra Ingenio / Xylo? Or the i30?
Old 8th January 2009, 12:34   #17

I dont see the whole point of Autocar Bashing here. The Linea is a brilliant car and it deserved to win. I can personally vouch for it having already driven it. So, instead of just mounting on the bashing, i think we should be looking at the bigger picture...The Revival of Fiat India.
Old 8th January 2009, 12:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This is again a wrong decision. For a car that is powered by a motor not sufficient for its mass, its wrong.
A few negative points about Linea :
1) Engine. Larger and more powerful motors are expected.

A few more contenders that had chance and in my preference they must be

Hyundai I20.
The reason you mentioned against the Linea applies to the i20 too doesn't it?
Old 8th January 2009, 12:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Including Linea for the competition was a bad idea.

Interestingly enough, Overdrive and Top Gear have also included Linea for the competition. But, BSM did not.

The only interesting thing to come out of this was the head-head competition of ANHC and Linea, which is bound to happen in this segment. ACI Viewers' Choice award went to ANHC, whereas the jury chose Linea. Says a lot I guess.
Old 8th January 2009, 12:38   #20
BANNED

Maybe it deserved to win, but surely not in 2008.
FYI, COTY 2009 belongs to car launched in 2008.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
The Linea is a brilliant car and it deserved to win.
Looks like Fiat has worked out a deal with ACI:
ACI COTY 2009 is Linea
ACI COTY 2010 is Grande Punto
Old 8th January 2009, 12:47   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Come on, All automobile mags had gotten a TD of the Linea in December.
In fact, even the prices were out and production had begun by then and hence, it can be counted as a 2008 vehicle.

I am sure if the Xylo was given to the mags for a TD and if they had started production, it would have counted in the polls.

I am glad the Linea won, and I don't see any reason as to why the ANHC or any other car should have done better.
It is more comfortable than the city, has better detailing than the city, more features than the city, a diesel engine and all this for a lower price.
Sure it will be underpowered, but only in the 0-100, and if someone is looking for a performance diesel, they have the Verna.
This engines trump card is not its 0-100 timings, but its drive ability in traffic. Nothing else.
So can we please stop this fiat bashing and doubtful attitude once again. Lets base our judgments once we all have driven the car.
ACI isn't dumb to have chosen the car, and neither are all the people who voted for it in the T-BHP poll. There is a reason and to each his own. We can't criticize someone or a company for doing something we didn't like. If they chose the Linea, it is for a reason. Even if they included the Linea, it is because of a reason such as I have mentioned above or something similar.

Kudos to the Linea!

Last edited by lamborghini : 8th January 2009 at 12:48.
Old 8th January 2009, 12:55   #22
BANNED

Prices are not yet out. You can call any Fiat showroom for that.

Nano was homologated and its production has begun too. Why was that not considered by ACI?

Linea cannot be counted as a car launched in 2008, for simple & sensible reason that it was not launched in 2008.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
In fact, even the prices were out and production had begun by then and hence, it can be counted as a 2008 vehicle.
Nobody is bashing Fiat. We are questioning ACI's blind logic.
Quote:
So can we please stop this fiat bashing and doubtful attitude once again.
People voted for Linea in the poll based on the badge.
Quote:
ACI isn't dumb to have chosen the car, and neither are all the people who voted for it in the T-BHP poll.

Last edited by diabloo : 8th January 2009 at 12:57.
Old 8th January 2009, 12:57   #23
BHPian

i was at the award function last night.. at the time when the award was announced there was no cheer or immediate response from the fiat team.. plus the car is nearing its launch date, MAYBE it was rigged, i mean what better launch could theyve worked out other than this, after all ACI COTY awards are known to be the ultimate awards for cars in india..
but the fact of the matter is that, it is an extremely good car and no matter if it was rigged or not it was always high on the contenders list..
sure the car was not officially launched but the production was started much before even the i20..
about the issue of the tata nano not being included even after it was homologated in 2008 - there has to be willingness from the manufacturers side as well to include the car in the award, maybe tata motors wanted to give preference to the Vista for the COTY to boost sales and brand value and avoid conflict, surely nano being in the picture wouldve resulted in some sibling rivalry.. plus maybe it would have affected the tata - fiat partnership too..
Old 8th January 2009, 12:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Fiat for making such an awesome car!

Congrats to Fiat-Tata for making it available in India!
Old 8th January 2009, 12:59   #25

@lambo, i agree with you on all the above points except one. The Xylo wasnt given to any Auto mags in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Looks like Fiat has worked out a deal with ACI:
ACI COTY 2009 is Linea
ACI COTY 2010 is Grande Punto
@diabloo, You seem to have some sort of vendetta against ACI. If not, please do not have any sorts of baseless alegations against it. No offence meant. And BTW, the Linea is the Car of the year for 2008, not 2009. as you have put it in your post.

Quote:

Nano was homologated and its production has begun too. Why was that not considered by ACI?
NAno production has definately not begun.

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 8th January 2009 at 13:01.
Old 8th January 2009, 13:01   #26
BHPian

Very happy for fiat, it truly needed it, even if it did not deserve. Hope they pull up their socks. With truly tested and good products compared to its 'value for money' contender, it does not deserve this.
Old 8th January 2009, 13:03   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

@diabloo: maybe production has begun (I haven't heard anything about that yet though) but the prices of the Nano aren't out. Neither has any magazine got a proper TD of it. I think another reason is the fact that it was meant to be launched in Dec '08 and due to a last minute change, the magazine might not have been able to change their shortlist. Also, other magazines also had the Linea as one of the choices and for ACI to not have it would have seemed wierd.

BTW, the Linea prices are out and have been mentioned on the other Linea thread (the only one that isn't locked, lol!)

Also, regarding the fiat bashing, I didn't mean it completely in that sense. I meant that people are expressing their dislike for ACI as it chose the fiat. I meant it in a more indirect sense. However, there have been a few posts by people complaining about the A.S.S. and calling the vehicle underpowered without even driving it.

I doubt people voted based on the badge. Most of them liked what they saw and hence voted. We just can't generalize based on what we perceive the situation to be.

@Cyrus: That is exactly what I said. I said that IF the Xylo was given the ACI and OD etc., it too would have been one of the contenders.

Last edited by lamborghini : 8th January 2009 at 13:07.
Old 8th January 2009, 13:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pls call up ACI and find out why.
Quote:
Linea cannot be counted as a car launched in 2008, for simple & sensible reason that it was not launched in 2008.
Oops, I didn't know that.
Quote:
Nobody is bashing Fiat. We are questioning ACI's blind logic.
Pls call up ACI and question them.
Quote:
People voted for Linea in the poll based on the badge.
That means majority of BHPians are Fiat owners/fans, right?
And for the badge thing, it is also applicable to you my friend.

Last edited by finneyp : 8th January 2009 at 13:05.
Old 8th January 2009, 13:11   #29

@lambo, even if the Xylo was given in dec, it cannot be a part of the contenders until it is actually shown o the public na!!

Anywyas, coming back to the linea, i dont think it is that underpowered. Also, the way it handles is just mind blowing. Also, how many "normal people" actually care if their car i a little underpowered!! The linea is a brilliant package for its value and i would choose it over an ANHC anyday.
Old 8th January 2009, 13:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
the way it handles is just mind blowing.
If you have driven the Fiesta 1.6S how would you compare the Linea to it? I am asking this because the Fiesta S is supposed to be the best handling C segment sedan today by auto experts.

I really hope Fiat is working on bringing out the T-Jet and bigger and more powerful diesel engines for the Linea. Coming by initial TD reports, handling wise, the car is pretty fun to drive. A better engine would make it really exciting.

Last edited by amit : 8th January 2009 at 13:19.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed