Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2009, 19:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sid. You're the Dude

So a decently priced AT. At around 20K less than City S AT (ex showroom around 9.2L), this is a better VFM option in auto.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 1st February 2009 at 19:44.
Old 1st February 2009, 21:18   #47
Senior - BHPian

Still no airbags??? After i20 launch i thought they would make airbags standard atleast on top end. Nice to see an auto diesel tranny. Good move by Hyundai.
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:41   #48
BHPian

Verna owners, how do you rate the rear seat space, rear comfort and ride of the Verna? Has anything been changes in these departments in this facelift?
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:37   #49
BHPian

1.6 vtvt sx abs new 2009
ex-showroom 7,12,500 3rd year extended warrenty 4235
on-road delhi (all inclusive) 7,80,374
Will it be worthwhile to go for the new Verna Petrol against the ANHC??

Diesel experts....
1.5 crdi sx abs new 2009
ex-showroom 8,02,100 3rd year extended warrenty 9035
on-road delhi (all inclusive) 8,78,005

is this a good car to be on the road for long???
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:56   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Verna owners, how do you rate the rear seat space, rear comfort and ride of the Verna? Has anything been changes in these departments in this facelift?
When compared to fiesta i think the verna rear space is far better. It is much more comfortable. The only time this takes a hit is because of the bumpy suspension which you will realize at very high speeds or on extremely bumpy roads. Nothing in regard to the car body, or suspension etc has been touched in the facelift. The changes are purely cosmetic. I have already mentioned a few of them in this thread and you can also see that sidindica has clarified them further.
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-NewCar View Post
1.6 vtvt sx abs new 2009

Diesel experts....
1.5 crdi sx abs new 2009

I personally feel the verna diesel is the best diesel sedan on the road now. I dont understand the grammar behind your sentence. I am presuming that you mean is it good for long journeys? Yes it is. I drove all the way to bangalore from chennai and back and I didnt feel an ounce of tiredness in driving and it was a more then pleasurable ride. On average i did 120-130km/hr, and unlike what many people say the ride was not bouncy or anything at those speeds. It was very very comfortable and the excellent cabin insulation makes sure that there is no outside noise disturbing you on the way. At 8.78lakhs, with the added features, the diesel verna is an amazing buy.
I havent driven the ANHC so cant compare, but from my drive of the petrol verna, it is a real dissappointment when compared to the diesel verna that I eventually bought.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:24   #52
BHPian

Ash-NewCar,
Read the posts on deciding between petrol and diesel options.
Not that it will help you decide, just gives you better idea on what are the pros and cons of owning a petrol over a diesel.
As a thumb rule if you are going to be driving ~10K KM per year Diesel is not on, petrol is a better deal. The duration that you plan to keep the car is also a factor anything like 5 years + you can still buy diesel and break even on the pricing. Do remember Diesel engine would mean clutch is going to be a tad stiffer and if you are going to be doing a lot of city driving and less highways then this could affect usability on a diesel as you might be a bit more stresses out on a stiffer clutch.

If verna is the one you are looking to buy get the diesel with ABS.

I was on this forum for about six months before getting confused then had to take a decision and bought the Fiesta S.(not that I dont like it, I'm more than happy with it.)

I almost bought the verna after reading umpteen posts on all swift, Fabia, Verna, and Fiesta.

Where the Verna missed out was not the looks, I kinda like its looks especially in the kyra earth and pearl blue that they phased out but on the rear seat thigh support and a more vertical seat back for the rear passenger.
No Airbags, comments on excessive body roll, cornering issues on higher speeds, slightly rubbery gear box, tyre to be upgraded to 185/R14 atleast and head lamps needing an upgrade were things I was willing to put up with. The CRDI's milage and power combo was so compelling.

The newer grill is not that great looking closer to the older Accent. It is just now another car in town loosing its identity somewhat.
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

here's the link for the full list of the changes to the verna, courtesy VINEET of autocar india forums, so thanks to him.

Flickr: vkbhardwaj28's Photostream
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:59   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
Ash-NewCar,
Read the posts on deciding between petrol and diesel options.
Not that it will help you decide, just gives you better idea on what are the pros and cons of owning a petrol over a diesel.
The more I read the more confused I am getting over the Diesel and Petrol....
Too much analysis is leading toparalysis..

The Diesel Cars have come out so much better than in 05 that I am tempted to go for one of it..but then I remember the pick up issues, engine problems and cost of maintenance in 3 yrs time, when it matters the most that you have less running costs, as your fascination with the new car has dwindled and you just want the car to run peacefully..

Verna Petrol: Saw it closely in Oct 08, like dit very much ( like a lay man) did not go in to details.. Interiors etc were rocking// Need to check the new Verna D & P

Fiesta: Like the Top Model....But I am also told by a friend he has issues when he goes for servicing..real poor staff and no readiness to help.. Spares are also issue and high Maint costs.. Pls provide your feedback on these points

SX4: I like the long feature list.. fits a little well to my small budget...spacious at the back for 3 ppl, Alloys,,, etc etc...
ANHC: Loved it when I first saw it.. Looks cool on the road...No Alloys...High cost..Not sure if 3 can sit at the back.. havent TD it yet...Most say If its Honda go for it...

So still confused as ever..I have the entire Feb and March to get confused before I have to book my car....
Old 3rd February 2009, 08:28   #55
BHPian

Quote:
The more I read the more confused I am getting over the Diesel and Petrol....
Too much analysis is leading toparalysis..

The Diesel Cars have come out so much better than in 05 that I am tempted to go for one of it..but then I remember the pick up issues, engine problems and cost of maintenance in 3 yrs time, when it matters the most that you have less running costs, as your fascination with the new car has dwindled and you just want the car to run peacefully..

Verna Petrol: Saw it closely in Oct 08, like dit very much ( like a lay man) did not go in to details.. Interiors etc were rocking// Need to check the new Verna D & P

Fiesta: Like the Top Model....But I am also told by a friend he has issues when he goes for servicing..real poor staff and no readiness to help.. Spares are also issue and high Maint costs.. Pls provide your feedback on these points

SX4: I like the long feature list.. fits a little well to my small budget...spacious at the back for 3 ppl, Alloys,,, etc etc...
ANHC: Loved it when I first saw it.. Looks cool on the road...No Alloys...High cost..Not sure if 3 can sit at the back.. havent TD it yet...Most say If its Honda go for it...

So still confused as ever..I have the entire Feb and March to get confused before I have to book my car....
You have just described symptoms that every new car buyer has. To be honest what your going through is nothing new. Here are 2 simple ways to help you. First choose about 4 or 5 cars that you are looking at. From your choice list i think your options are Fiesta P & D, Verna P&D, ANHC, SX4. So the list seems simple. Take a thorough TD of each car and then based on your observations make a pro and con list of your own perspective of each car. Second, have a look at the forums on tbhp and browse through the ownership reviews and see if your list of pros/cons actually match up to what owners/ test drivers have said. Considering that you have 2 months to get confused, you may as well spend it fruitfully . The only way to overcome your confusion is to do a bit more hands-on analysis of the cars you have in mind. On a more serious note, with the verna D around, the verna P is a strict no no, unless if your usage isnt that great. And bw Fiesta 1.6s and Fiesta D, the 1.6s is the winner. I dont want to confuse you more, but what about the linea??
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:41   #56
BHPian

Quote:
1.6 vtvt sx abs new 2009

Diesel experts....
1.5 crdi sx abs new 2009

Ash, i repeat my words, first decide between Petrol and Diesel, that depends on your usage. And, if its Diesel than there is nothing better than Verna CRDI SX ABS this side of 10L, and if you want to go for Petrol than narrow down your choice to SX4 and ANHC.
The issues u said about Ford service and spares is very much true, although exceptions are there. But, play a safe game and decide. What Pras said also holds true, and when you have 2 months to decide why not test drive them all?? (Personal View: Avoid Ford)
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:50   #57
BHPian

T-Lock in Auto Tranny?

Because there is a discussion going around on the automatic version of Verna, so I thought of putting my question regarding the same in this thread itself.
I am not trying to hijack this thread or start a parallel topic here.
My apologies if this is not the correct place. Mods- please feel free to move this to the appropriate location, if deemed necessary.

I do understand the ease of driving in a bumper-to-bumper traffic with an auto tranny, but one aspect of owning it in India could still be an issue - security. Yes, most of the auto companies are providing their own versions of auto security but we Indians are very much used to the idea of additional security in our cars - viz-a-viz gear lock or T-lock which although may not be absolutely fool proof in securing your car from being stolen but definitely acts as a good deterrent. Now, we do know that it is easy to fix it in a Manual tranny in any gear - preferably reverse.

So my question is - is it possible to fix a T-Lock type gear lock in any car with an auto tranny?
Old 3rd February 2009, 16:11   #58
BHPian

Apart from the above security issues, what i really fear for an automatic Verna is valet parking issues. Although most Hotels and Commercial centres have trained staff who can handle most of the expensive cars, but what about the parking at smaller areas. I am not sure if these guys can really handle auto trannies. I have myself seen one of my friend's brand new i10Auto being spoiled by a local parking guy.
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:14   #59
BHPian

Under What Car? > Sedans look up a thread on
New Honda City or Ford Fiesta 1.6S

There are @least 5 T-BHPians before me who chose the Fiesta S inspite of the perception issues with Ford A.S.S

My take is A.S.S is not too much of an issue with Ford nowadays. I did my first Oil change and I had no issues dealing with them. Just that they had lot of vehicles waiting for service in the queue as it was start of Jan and took a few more days than I would have liked.
Any new vehicle hardly would have issues in the first couple of years.there are some manufacturers who sell a higher ratio of lemons and dealing with lemons is a different ball game, just that Ford got a lot of visibility due to these and earlier issues with the Ikon's AC, Fuel pump issues with Honda are not that uncommon if you sift through this forum just that Ford gets higher visibility and there is thread on how a Tata/Fiat dealership dumped a known lemon on a unsuspecting client.

In case you need support in an emergency how does the dealer/manufacturer handle it is something you need to find out and from what I understand Ford with theier on road assistance is on par with most others. In fact one of my close friends needed late @ night and Ford's people were on the spot in an hour and handled it completely from there he is a Happy reference for Ford A.S.S and other than that instance he had not spent any more than the normal service cost of around 1.5K in the last three years. I did talk to atleast 10 different people who are Friends and Friends of friends who owned a Ford. Two were clear no more ford infact asking specifically to avoid it specifying recurring issues that they ran into and high cost of maintenance owing to that. Rest were on the same lines they have heard Ford A.S.S is bad but they found it to be good not spending on anything more than the normal service cost.Any one else I talk to were categorical that Ford =BAd A.S.S these are well meaning folks but those who dont have specific ownership experience or a first hand information of the issues that they are aware of.
I thought through what I wanted and decided that I can't discriminate against ford on A.S.S based on the inputs I had. Its not like I get a Opel or a Fiat and the manufacturer is not too involved in the after sales area.

As far as Parts price is concerned they are again within 10 % of segment average. So if you like the car there is no reason to not go for it.

The car itself does not have issues like SX4's initial First and reverse gear and door rattling issues, its High boot being a pain to figure out what on your tail like when you want to park, I also did not like the middle seat bump on the SX4, made it look practical for only four.

I had mentioned why I did not choose Verna but those are still not very compelling reasons not to go for it(the diesel ABS that is)

But where you can't go wrong is with the ANHC
1.New car on the block
2.all safely features are by default
3. Its a Honda - next full version is atleast five years away will be around for 10 more years and will hold its resale very well even otherwise and if at all they had overlooked any issues with the car they will be fixed by april including any minor upgrades or add on goodies as it would have been on sale for close to six months.

There is not a single reason to overlook it.

Simply put that is the one you need to go for in case of petrol and the price point is manageable and if Diesel is the one you need go for the Verna. Look for all the factors take your time and it will still make sense.

Ofcourse the Optra Magnum is oh so close @ that price point but its different value proposition and GM is not exactly doing well @ this time so still not on.

So petrol
Option
1- ANHC 2 - Fiesta
Diesel - option 1 - Verna 2 - Fiesta ( you get better mileage and city drivability and its not that bad on the highway till about 120 KMPH with the Diesel Fiesta but as they have plonked the same 1.4 on the Ikon not sure if 1.6 Diesel is not on cards in the next year or so. If its a second option its a distant second at that to Verna unless Airbags are a perceived need.)
Old 4th February 2009, 19:52   #60
BHPian

Hi guys,

Had been to Adviath Hyundai on ORR along with my dad to give our Getz for service. I also wanted to check out the i20. It was pretty good from outside in that nice electric blue colour. On the first floor, the Verna variants were kept for display. I was surprised to see the new look of it(not very extensive though). Its got the new Champagne colour from the i10 and new badgings as mentioned in the previous posts. Clicked some pics with my mobile. Padon me for the poor quality.

1st pic: New chrome garnish on the front grill and the new Champagne colour.

2nd pic: Side chrome strip.

3rd pic: New stereo (IMO, not very great in build quality)

4th pic: Auto badge on the 1.5 CRDi

5th pic: Crowded badgings on the CRDi

6th pic: Interior and auto box

7th pic: Alloys on the CRDi

Hope these pics gave a basic idea of how it looks. IMO, Hyundai should have upgraded/tweaked the petrol engine to match the others in the segment.

Cheers,
Srinath
Attached Thumbnails
Facelifted verna revealed. Pics on pg 4-image016.jpg  

Facelifted verna revealed. Pics on pg 4-image017.jpg  

Facelifted verna revealed. Pics on pg 4-image018.jpg  

Facelifted verna revealed. Pics on pg 4-image019.jpg  

Facelifted verna revealed. Pics on pg 4-image020.jpg  

Facelifted verna revealed. Pics on pg 4-image021.jpg  

Facelifted verna revealed. Pics on pg 4-image022.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com