Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 10:51   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Guys

We are creating unwanted panic

I dont know about the actual reason for the strike..so i wont comment on it but because of this panic i can see people buying more fuel than they actually need(near my home i see people standing in queue, not vehicles) taking bottles,cans etc..

I am sure all petrol pumps have sufficiant quantity to run for few days and because of this panic, stock is depleting fast

human tendancy.. cant blame anyone

I Hope things settle over the weekend
Question is when will it get refilled? If no strick then even in panic buying, it will be refueled right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
i dont know why the govt is not taking steps on a war footing here. No matter what the grievance is, you CANNOT hold the entire country to ransom. there are ways and means for sorting out issues, but this is not one of them.

Imagine if someone were to lose their life because teh ambulance did not have diesel to reach the hospital? who will take responsibility for that . The Oil PSU officers should know better.
No point in this. We have to live as such. I dotn see any encouraging news from any govt leaders except for one news on media saying they are planning to impose ESMA on these officers.

By the time they decide something, most damage would have already happened.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:51   #92
BHPian

Couldnt find an open pump last night, went to atleast 7 pumps all of them were closed. I live in delhi and theres no shell over here :(, dont know what to do. Does anyone know of any gas stations in delhi which still has fuel ?
Old 9th January 2009, 10:53   #93
Senior - BHPian

I wasted 2+ hours of mine last night, to see the tank run dry in front of my car/eyes!
With what I had, my car will do atleast 550-600km more. The bike has another 300km of fuel. - good for two weeks minimum.

No point succumbing to this panic buying and exacerbating the shortage
- I can't do jack anyways!
Old 9th January 2009, 10:54   #94
Team-BHP Support

Shell will definitely do good business during this period. In a way, i am happy for them. Reliance lost out on opportunities such as these which are becoming rather common these days.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:59   #95
BHPian

Guys was stuck in jam today morning for almost 30mins at Kundanahalli on way to Whitefield... later realized it was jam outside petrol pump!! God!! Huge jam for almost 1/2 km... thank god i got my tank full just 2 days back... will last at least a week...
Hope all this strike problem ends very soon with a drop in fuel prices!!
Old 9th January 2009, 11:00   #96
BHPian

Update from Pune

I have to travel to Mumbai this weekend so i filled my car yesterday evening itself. Today morning one of my friend told me that he has to wait for 45 mins for petrol in his bike.

This situation might arised due to panic buying of fuels.

To overcome this crisis, From today i started tarvelling by company bus and will try to use public transport for all City Commutations.

This will not save much fuel but atlest We can do this much.
Old 9th January 2009, 11:01   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Shell will definitely do good business during this period. In a way, i am happy for them. Reliance lost out on opportunities such as these which are becoming rather common these days.
Same here. I like Shell.

Btw is the situation like this only in city pumps or the highway ones too ?
Old 9th January 2009, 11:15   #98
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Luckily, I fill my cars up every weekend, irrespective of how empty the tank is. Thus, I have 2 cars with a 3/4 tank of fuel in them and the other 2 with a 1/2 tank. That's good enough for two weeks of running at the least. The upside of this situation is lesser traffic! Last evening, it took me only 30 minutes to cover 13 kms at 7 p.m. That's a route which takes 50 - 60 minutes on a regular working day!

Slightly OT : This morning, and with supply uncertainty looming over our heads, I thought of changing my driving style & maximising FE in the Vtec. 10 minutes of driving.....NAAH! Back to high-revving, baby. I simply can't be bothered about fuel efficiency.
Old 9th January 2009, 11:15   #99
Senior - BHPian

Iam running close to empty:-(( Running car without A/C ...to squeeze every drop. I have Indica Turbo, its mileage is saving me this day.

BTW which shell pump has diesel? I stay near velachery chennai?
Old 9th January 2009, 11:17   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Luckily, I fill my cars up every weekend, irrespective of how empty the tank is. Thus, I have 2 cars with a 3/4 tank of fuel in them and the other 2 with a 1/2 tank. That's good enough for two weeks of running at the least. The upside of this situation is lesser traffic! Last evening, it took me only 30 minutes to cover 13 kms at 7 p.m. That's a route which takes 50 - 60 minutes on a regular working day!
Less traffic might be due to off in govt offices due to mauharam.
Old 9th January 2009, 11:18   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Guys was stuck in jam today morning for almost 30mins at Kundanahalli on way to Whitefield... later realized it was jam outside petrol pump!! God!! Huge jam for almost 1/2 km
I anticipated this rush and evaded this by using the route from within AECS layout to reach the Kundanahalli-ITPL main road while on my way to work.
Old 9th January 2009, 11:23   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Iam running close to empty:-(( Running car without A/C ...to squeeze every drop. I have Indica Turbo, its mileage is saving me this day.
BTW which shell pump has diesel? I stay near velachery chennai?
Hi Vinod, since you stay in Velachery your best bet is the one on Velachery Main Rd, at Palikaranai, before Balaji Dental College & Jerusalem Engg. College if you're travelling towards Medavakkam.

I'm kinda in the same boat, around 4 to 5 liters in each tank. While it could be stretched for a week tops, I'm planning to hit one of the Shell outlets very early tomorrow morning !
Old 9th January 2009, 11:26   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Vinod, since you stay in Velachery your best bet is the one on Velachery Main Rd, at Palikaranai, before Balaji Dental College & Jerusalem Engg. College if you're travelling towards Medavakkam.

I'm kinda in the same boat, around 4 to 5 liters in each tank. While it could be stretched for a week tops, I'm planning to hit one of the Shell outlets very early tomorrow morning !
Thanks srini,

Well even i will que before shell pump tomorrow. Hope to see you there
Old 9th January 2009, 11:32   #104
Senior - BHPian

Well, today morning there was only 3 pumps which had fuel in TVM city. As of now, it's reduced to none. Not even a Honda i-VTEC revvs without fuel :'(
Old 9th January 2009, 11:34   #105
Senior - BHPian

O.T. Mumbai guys, I will be travelling to Mumbai on Saturday eve. what is the situation of the cabs at the airport. what is the best way to reach Juhu tara road in case cabs are not running?

I am staying at the JW marriot and strangely enough, they do not have a shuttle service for the airport!

Most Viewed