Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 13:42   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Hi, are shell bunks open 24 hrs? What is the cost of diesel there? is it the normal one or with additives?

tnx
Shell bunks will close late in evening. The cot of normal fuel of shell in Bangalore is Rs.52.42/ltr. But there is a loooong queue of cars near the bunk.
Old 9th January 2009, 13:45   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Hi, are shell bunks open 24 hrs? What is the cost of diesel there? is it the normal one or with additives?

tnx
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Shell bunks will close late in evening. The cot of normal fuel of shell in Bangalore is Rs.52.42/ltr. But there is a loooong queue of cars near the bunk.
man you are scaring him away from Shell pump

he was asking for normal Diesel.

I guess they don't have normal diesel, only premium which is almost 40rs. Right?
Old 9th January 2009, 13:48   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
I think this is the right time to buy that bicycle I was planning to buy. Any idea if we can buy tandem bicycles in India?
All the cities where there are the manual cycle ricks will be little saved from more misery if this strike continues. The cyclerick guys would be laughing all the way to the bank!

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 9th January 2009 at 13:49.
Old 9th January 2009, 13:48   #124
Senior - BHPian

Here are some of the common sights of Shell petrol bunk near my office. There are around 10 cops including traffic cops to moniter the situation.

Oil Companies strike.. Most pumps running dry, Flights Delayed!-image_031.jpg

Oil Companies strike.. Most pumps running dry, Flights Delayed!-image_032.jpg

Oil Companies strike.. Most pumps running dry, Flights Delayed!-image_033.jpg

Oil Companies strike.. Most pumps running dry, Flights Delayed!-image_034.jpg

Don't understand when the situation will improve. It will be worse by tomorrow.
Old 9th January 2009, 14:31   #125
Senior - BHPian

rediff.com: Strike: India runs out of fuel; Army to help move oil cargo

Strike: India runs out of fuel; Army to help move oil cargo

January 9, 2009

India is running out of fuel. Fast.
The strike by the oil company executives under the umbrella of the Oil Sector Officers Association has brought the country to a grinding halt with over 90 per cent of petrol pumps across the country running dry.
The nation is reeling under the impact of the oil strike, compounded by the truckers' stir. The striking oil officers have said that their demand of higher wages should be immediately met otherwise the strike will continue indefinitely.
And while India is held to ransom by the striking oil sector officers and truckers, Oil Secretary R S Pandey said that the country has petrol stocks for only 20 days, diesel stocks for only 14 days, and LPG stocks for just 12 days!

Source: rediff
Old 9th January 2009, 14:42   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
And while India is held to ransom by the striking oil sector officers and truckers, Oil Secretary R S Pandey said that the country has petrol stocks for only 20 days, diesel stocks for only 14 days, and LPG stocks for just 12 days!
OMG . This is shocking news. I thought the strike might get called off during net week and if this continues then it will have a catastrophic effect on everything in India. Hope the better sense prevails on both Govt and the Oil sector companies and of course the truckers also.
Old 9th January 2009, 14:43   #127
BHPian

These guys should be shot for holding the country to ransom,

MERA BHARATH MAHAN
Old 9th January 2009, 14:47   #128
Senior - BHPian

Our PC has requested the officers to close the strike by today. What if they don't do? No, he has not mentioned it

What stops the govt. from using the ESMA on these fellows?

Forget the public transport or cars. What will happen to the fire services, ambulances etc? is it not the duty of govt. to take care of these situation? I don't see any talk going on.

What on earth is happening to our country?

On the other hand, govt thinks of using Army guys to mobilize the oil cargo. That too when the pak has put all the troops on the border.

When are these guys going to learn how to rule!!!!
Old 9th January 2009, 14:48   #129
BHPian

I did read somewhere that ESMA has been invoked with regard to this situation. Unbelievable state of things.

On top of it the Indian Army is in the act as well. The number of things an Army man has to do, internal insurgency, frontline battles, policing , flood relief and now this .
Old 9th January 2009, 14:53   #130
Senior - BHPian

Well got off the phone with dad and heard the story from the side of the employees of oil companies. He's retired now but he spoke to some of his older subordinates.

It seems that while the basic pay has been doubled by the new pay scale, the Daily Allowance component they used to get earlier which was nearly the same as basic has been brought down to a pittance of roughly around 20% of basic. On top of the earlier allowance component was non taxable while the basic is fully taxable. In essence their pay has actually reduced after this "pay hike". Plus some of the interim relief that was given earlier now has to be returned back.

When the government does such a thing, there's not much hapless employees can do other than a strike.

PS: I have no affiliation to any oil company other than the fact that my dad is a retired oil PSU employee.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 9th January 2009 at 14:55.
Old 9th January 2009, 14:54   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
I did read somewhere that ESMA has been invoked with regard to this situation. Unbelievable state of things.
ESMA has been invoked in Delhi and it is of no use to anyone. Oil company officials are not listening to anybody but to their demands. I'am not sure whether they are so much underpaid so that they can hold the country for such a ransom and added to it the Govt's apathy for not resolving this boiling issue.
Old 9th January 2009, 14:56   #132
Senior - BHPian

Today after a long long time, I cruised to office at a humble 40kmph watching the Fuel guage rather than the speedo/rev counter.

Once in a way, such strikes makes one realise the preciousness of fuel and how to exercise prudence while using the same
Old 9th January 2009, 14:58   #133
BANNED

I think both the oil officials are the rulers need to be put in their place. Also the truckers strike is going on. The only sensible demand of the truckers I see is one for reducing the rates for the National Permits, they are already paying cess and tolls (Long distance trucks are mostly on the GQ and other toll roads), and rationalising the servie tax structure (this will come under GST in the not too diatant future in any case).
Old 9th January 2009, 15:01   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
rediff.com: Strike: India runs out of fuel; Army to help move oil cargo

Strike: India runs out of fuel; Army to help move oil cargo

January 9, 2009

India is running out of fuel. Fast.
The strike by the oil company executives under the umbrella of the Oil Sector Officers Association has brought the country to a grinding halt with over 90 per cent of petrol pumps across the country running dry.
The nation is reeling under the impact of the oil strike, compounded by the truckers' stir. The striking oil officers have said that their demand of higher wages should be immediately met otherwise the strike will continue indefinitely.

Source: rediff
Sorry to speaking politics, these politician are taking things very lightly, by now all the employees should have been sacked who ever participating in strike , but donno why they are not taking these steps, but these poor military ppl are the one who suffers every time , be it flood, be it terrorists, be it protecting our nation, etc etc, on my opinion all the PSU shud be privatised, or they shud create huge competetion, like how they did in telecom sector, look @ the BSNL how they work now a days.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th January 2009 at 15:13. Reason: sms and excessive smilies
Old 9th January 2009, 15:02   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
When the government does such a thing, there's not much hapless employees can do other than a strike.
I guess the hapless employees need to take a long hard look around them & see what's happening across the world by way of recession, pay cuts & lay offs. And then wake up & smell the coffee & be thankful that they have stable jobs

Just my two cents, no offense to anyone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks