Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 09:55   #76
BHPian

Wow, I managed to get my tank filled yesterday evening at Shell in Hosur road. It was a long wait though... Not sure if it is available now. Those guys told that strike has not affected them. But the sales might result in fast stock depletion.
Old 9th January 2009, 09:58   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Hyd guys, any update on what's the situation like here?
Took an auto to work today - not willing to brave the serpentine queues all over Hyderabad!
Old 9th January 2009, 10:01   #78
BHPian

got my swift D tanked up yesterday late evening at Shell (Old Madras Road). At that time (6.30 PM), I could get the fuel in under 5 mins time. thanks to team bhp for hinting this problem early.

my only concern is that i had earlier decided not to fill premium diesel in my swift D, but i was forced to do that y'day due to my impending round trip to Coimbatore in the next couple of days.

when i reached Bagmane Tech Park today morning at 9, I saw good amount of queue in the CV Raman Nagar HP bunk and the fuel was still available. So, probably folks can try this one out.

- karthik.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:05   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Dude, beware, those tvs 50s are going to hit you with a vengeance once all this strike stuff gets out of the way!
Most of the pumps in chennai were dry today. The 2 hp petrol pumps around my locality(royapettah) had a mile long queue, while the one at my office locality(adyar) had people lining up with cans like it was some thirupathi darshanam. Crazy I tell you.
Finally managed to fill up 500 bucks of diesel at IOC. I have been using only BP from the same station since i bought my car, and today i found that the fuel that guy filled did not reset my distance to empty meter to the same value that I always get if I fill up for 500 bucks from a near empty tank. The meter showed 170 after filling, while normally I get an initial reading of over 200. Fraud? or does IOC diesel suck big time? or am I making a deal out of nothing?
That guy also claimed that by tomorrow morning they'll have supply of both diesel and petrol. Dunno how true it is though. When I went they were fresh out of petrol and had only diesel.
Also, is there only one shell petrol pump in the whole of chennai? Google map shows it on velachery main road. Is there another one? How much does a litre of diesel cost at shell in chennai?
AFAIK, there are Shell Petrol Pumps in these 3 Places in Chennai.
1. Velachery-Tambaram Main Road (Just near the Fly over in construction)
2. Porur (around 1.5Kms before the Signal)
3. Chrompet (GST Road)
Old 9th January 2009, 10:08   #80
Senior - BHPian

The Fuel shortage due to all the strikes has put a spanner in the works of a certain political party (that specializes in strikes). They were planning a major rally in our city, and I doubt if they will be able to arrange enough bodies for display -- the usual "batta", biriyani and "kuppi" (bottle) notwithstanding. Maybe it is time they got a bit of their own medicine.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:18   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
If your normal driving fetches you 18-20 kmpl, I think the diesel will last for at least 60-70 kms.

A proper tankfull lasts for more than 700 kms.
Thanks Eddy. I am getting only about 17kmpl. I was able to tank up at Shell today morning. Diesel was priced at Rs. 39.95/litre there. Peace of mind for 2 weeks when my trip to Coorg is due!

Last edited by mtnrajdeep : 9th January 2009 at 10:22.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:21   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Maddening traffic at napeansea road area in south bombay due to serpentine queues for fuel. Pumps are giving only rs. 500 worth fuel per car. I have fuel left i think for 2 more trips to office and back... after that i'm gonna have to start cycling to work!
Old 9th January 2009, 10:24   #83
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if Shell is open ?

I have one HP near my place(bagmane tech park) and trust me the queue here will put tirupati temple to shame
Old 9th January 2009, 10:26   #84
Senior - BHPian

I'd taking delivery of my new Swift today. I hope this oil strike doesnt spoil the party.

Dealer should have some jugaad ? There is a petrol pump right next to the showroom.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:29   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Any idea if Shell is open ?

I have one HP near my place(bagmane tech park) and trust me the queue here will put tirupati temple to shame
Shell on Varthur Road (Straight Road from Marathahalli Bridge towards whitefield) had fuel today morning. The queue wasnt much and I was able to fill up after a 10 minute wait. Dont know how long the diesel stocks will last there since there were many school buses that were queuing up behind me!
Old 9th January 2009, 10:35   #86
BHPian

Shell outlets in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskumar View Post
AFAIK, there are Shell Petrol Pumps in these 3 Places in Chennai.
1. Velachery-Tambaram Main Road (Just near the Fly over in construction)
2. Porur (around 1.5Kms before the Signal)
3. Chrompet (GST Road)
Hi guys, according to Shell's web-site, there are 11 Shell outlets in & around Chennai. I've been to the ones in Vadapalani, Palikaranai, Poonamallee, & Padi.

The one in Padi though couldn't be reached by road the last time I went there (a few weeks ago) due to the grade seperator being constructed there.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:39   #87
Senior - BHPian

Things are getting bad now in our city. We are in trouble. M800 has no liquid fuel and cng is just enough for a day or two. It will come back today evening from service. Baleno has fuel for a day only now.

I heard that BP is now also in strike. Shell is ready to supply fuel that is another thing I heard. I dont know accuracy of this information.

Also is there any website that would list where shell petrol pumps are located ? Is there one in Vadodara ? I am not sure about this.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:45   #88
Senior - BHPian

Guys

We are creating unwanted panic

I dont know about the actual reason for the strike..so i wont comment on it but because of this panic i can see people buying more fuel than they actually need(near my home i see people standing in queue, not vehicles) taking bottles,cans etc..

I am sure all petrol pumps have sufficiant quantity to run for few days and because of this panic, stock is depleting fast

human tendancy.. cant blame anyone

I Hope things settle over the weekend
Old 9th January 2009, 10:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

i dont know why the govt is not taking steps on a war footing here. No matter what the grievance is, you CANNOT hold the entire country to ransom. there are ways and means for sorting out issues, but this is not one of them.

Imagine if someone were to lose their life because teh ambulance did not have diesel to reach the hospital? who will take responsibility for that . The Oil PSU officers should know better.
Old 9th January 2009, 10:46   #90
Senior - BHPian

Situation in Mumbai getting worse. Queues all over for fuel. I was going to fill up this morning but did that last night itself. Had to wait for 30 min till I got petrol. Thankfully there was no rationing at that time. I think those pumps must be dry by now. I dont have much driving to do for the next few days so its fine. Other Mumbai guys fill up your tanks before everything dries up and once public transport goes off the road, only trains will be the respite but those will br crowded like hell.

Most Viewed