Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 15:04   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I guess the hapless employees need to take a long hard look around them & see what's happening across the world by way of recession, pay cuts & lay offs. And then wake up & smell the coffee & be thankful that they have stable jobs

Just my two cents, no offense to anyone.
See, thats the golden goose. Dont cut it!!!
Old 9th January 2009, 15:07   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess the hapless employees need to take a long hard look around them & see what's happening across the world by way of recession, pay cuts & lay offs. And then wake up & smell the coffee & be thankful that they have stable jobs

Sorry if this is going OT but the difference is that these guys get a pay revision every 5 years with minimal increments every year unlike software engineers who have a revision every six months - one year. Considering that fact, I feel it is quite unjust. Again that is my personal opinion.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:08   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

+1. To what you have said. Sometimes, I wonder if I would have been in a Govt job then there would not be any fear of recession and other things happening around as you wil get the salary at the end of the month either you perform or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Today after a long long time, I cruised to office at a humble 40kmph watching the Fuel guage rather than the speedo/rev counter.
Even me. I have stopped using A/c from y'day. I have rolled down the window which is next to the drivers seat.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:08   #139
BANNED

I wonder what is the over-staffing level. I am sure if you compare with Reliance or any other 'lean and mean' private sector organisation it would not be less than 50%.

They should indeed be grateful for having a stable and secure job.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:16   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Sorry if this is going OT but the difference is that these guys get a pay revision every 5 years with minimal increments every year unlike software engineers who have a revision every six months - one year. Considering that fact, I feel it is quite unjust. Again that is my personal opinion.
All the above is OK. But you will have a stable and paying job atleast. They get the salaries every mlonth. Whereas in software or other MNCs you never know when they issue you a pink slip. The sword will be always hanging and we never know when it will fall. Moreover, you need to perform here to get the increments otehrwise, you will be shown the door. Considering all these, though they are not good pay masters, I feel the Govt jobs may be better in long term (in terms of stability). IMO, some of them do get the "upaar ka kamaye" more than their salaries.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:16   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
... Also the truckers strike is going on. The only sensible demand of the truckers I see is one for reducing the rates for the National Permits, they are already paying cess and tolls (Long distance trucks are mostly on the GQ and other toll roads), and rationalising the servie tax structure (this will come under GST in the not too diatant future in any case).
They also have another demand. Reduce the price of diesel. And with them as I have a vested interest (Read my signature )
Old 9th January 2009, 15:17   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
reignofchaos : It seems that while the basic pay has been doubled by the new pay scale, the Daily Allowance component they used to get earlier which was nearly the same as basic has been brought down to a pittance of roughly around 20% of basic.
A case of higher basic causing them to end up in a different (lower rate) bracket of DA calculations ? And parallely, higher taxable component (basic) resulting in higher tax amount.

Inadvertent happening ?
Old 9th January 2009, 15:17   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well got off the phone with dad and heard the story from the side of the employees of oil companies. He's retired now but he spoke to some of his older subordinates.

It seems that while the basic pay has been doubled by the new pay scale, the Daily Allowance component they used to get earlier which was nearly the same as basic has been brought down to a pittance of roughly around 20% of basic. On top of the earlier allowance component was non taxable while the basic is fully taxable. In essence their pay has actually reduced after this "pay hike". Plus some of the interim relief that was given earlier now has to be returned back.

When the government does such a thing, there's not much hapless employees can do other than a strike.

PS: I have no affiliation to any oil company other than the fact that my dad is a retired oil PSU employee.
Buddy, I've worked for 2 decades in the managerial cadre of the Personnel Department of a Steel PSU, and whatever info you've given above is not fully correct.
It is a fact that whenever there is a pay revision, the DA gets entirely merged in the revised basic pay. This happened even in the 1997 pay revision.So there is nothing new to this to provoke a strike.
This apart, there is always a Pay Anamolies commitee set up to look into individual grievances. I was a member of such committees setup after 4 pay revisions that were carried out during my service in public sector. I've never come across a case where a persons net pay got reduced after the pay revision, despite the Dearness Allowance getting merged with the basic pay.
All allowances in a public sector are taxable, except Conveyance allowance, so there is no cause for hue and cry.
The strike is unjustified, more so because the oil sector has always been basking in glory on account of high profits emerging from high fuel prices, except over the past year or so.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:18   #144
Senior - BHPian

Urgent help!

We need to do some urgent work tomm. Can someone suggest which Petrol pump we can fill in the petrol?
Our route will be - faridabad - surajkund- alakhnanda market- Gk- Khan market- Cp.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:20   #145
BHPian

BPCL called off strike

Hi All,

Just seen on TOI website, the BPCL employees are taking off the Strike.
I am keeping my fingers crossed on it.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:22   #146
BHPian

Strike Ends

BPCL calls off strike, other PSU's to follow.
Link: Welcome to rediff.com
Old 9th January 2009, 15:25   #147
BHPian

Strike Update

Below is the Breaking new flashing on TOI

BPCL employees call off strike
To work overtime on Saturday, Sunday to clear backlog
BPCL controls 25% of the petro goods market in the country
HPCL accounts for 27% and IOC the rest.

Hope panick on petrol stike comes to rest.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:27   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Buddy, I've worked for 2 decades in the managerial cadre of the Personnel Department of a Steel PSU, and whatever info you've given above is not fully correct.
It is a fact that whenever there is a pay revision, the DA gets entirely merged in the revised basic pay. This happened even in the 1997 pay revision.So there is nothing new to this to provoke a strike.
This apart, there is always a Pay Anamolies commitee set up to look into individual grievances. I was a member of such committees setup after 4 pay revisions that were carried out during my service in public sector. I've never come across a case where a persons net pay got reduced after the pay revision, despite the Dearness Allowance getting merged with the basic pay.
All allowances in a public sector are taxable, except Conveyance allowance, so there is no cause for hue and cry.
The strike is unjustified, more so because the oil sector has always been basking in glory on account of high profits emerging from high fuel prices, except over the past year or so.
Maybe you are right - I'm not sure cos what I got is second or third hand information so there'll always be personal bias.

TOI reports BPCL calls off strike.
Old 9th January 2009, 15:27   #149
BHPian

Dhuala Kaun, Beleive me or not, but i was able to fill my two cars of mine without waiting for more than 5 mins, i guess i was just lucky.

If you are in delhi, Dhaula Kuan is the best place to get your cars refilled .
Old 9th January 2009, 15:31   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are industries other than software too

And I've worked in a PSU as well, way back. Even in those days, the Pay Revisions (when they came) were like a bonanza. The annual increments are based on the pay scale AFAIR. And the DA keeps getting revised upwards every few months. Nett-nett, there is quite a decent annual increase - maybe not meteoric but a hell of a lot better than what I've seen in the other sectors that I've worked in.........

Last edited by suman : 9th January 2009 at 15:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks