Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2014, 21:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Hatch back has all four disc brakes?

Situation is pretty much the same even after half a decade of starting this thread and the so called performance hatches and premium hatches being available in our market.

Polo GT - rear drum
Elite i20 - rear drum
Punto Evo Sport - rear drum

We have the likes of Mercedes A Class, BMW 1 series, Volvo V40, Mini Cooper etc which comes with rear disc brakes.

So in a nutshell, you can get a proper sedan with disc brakes all around starting from 10 lakhs. (Verna, Cruze, Corolla, Jetta etc) However, if you need a hatchback with all 4 disc brakes, you need to pay triple that at close to 30 lakhs for the Mercedes A-Class!

OT, This thread title reminded me of the caption of the old Brooke Bond 3 Roses tea advertisement - "which tea has these 3 qualities?"
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:53   #17
BHPian

Which Hatch back has all four disc brakes?

Old i20 crdi had rear disc brakes .... Only hatch in India to have it below rs 10 lakhs
Old 3rd November 2014, 00:02   #18
BHPian

Is XUV500 W4 the cheapest of all cars/suv's to sport disc brake for all tyres then? Or then there may he handful of sedans having it.
Old 3rd November 2014, 00:04   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
Is XUV500 W4 the cheapest of all cars/suv's to sport disc brake for all tyres then? Or then there may he handful of sedans having it.
Nop; Storme has it and the cheapest one! Then probably the Aria? But yes, NO hatch back now! The previous gen diesel i20 had it otherwise.
Old 3rd November 2014, 00:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

I am sure it has to do something with the power and weight of the car.
Verna, i20 & Linea T-Jet are few cars which come to my mind in the 10 Lac price range. I am sure if Fiat will launch Avventura with T-Jet engine, it will give all four disc brakes.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:37   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Situation is pretty much the same even after half a decade of starting this thread and the so called performance hatches and premium hatches being available in our market.

Polo GT - rear drum
Elite i20 - rear drum
Punto Evo Sport - rear drum
May be because rear disc brakes are an overkill? My 4WD Grand Vitara has drums in the rear, just saying.

If you think from the perspective of the design engineers, they are keenly aware that while braking most of the load will be on the front brakes. They would be really puzzled why customers are asking for disc brakes in the rear where there is hardly any load during braking.

On the other hand, if you are braking a lot while driving in reverse, then I see the point for rear disc brakes.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post

I am sure it has to do something with the power and weight of the car.
Verna, i20 & Linea T-Jet are few cars which come to my mind in the 10 Lac price range. I am sure if Fiat will launch Avventura with T-Jet engine, it will give all four disc brakes.
Though your statement seems quite logical carwatcher, it probably does not apply to our "Safety is a Luxury" country.

Lets consider the likes of Innova for example. Ideally, it must have all four disc brakes. Heck forget Innova, even a Big monstor like Furtuner with 3.0 Ltr engine does not get one even as an option in India.

Now I have read somewhere on this forum that one of the experts (GTO ?) mentioned that huge trucks transporting big boulders through treacherous mountain roads had only drum brakes and never had any issues with braking.

IMHO, the fully loaded versions of premium hatch-backs like ZDI (ZXi), Emotion, Highline, Asta, etc MUST HAVE All Round Disk Brakes.

P.S - At the moment, the only hatch that offers All-round Disks in India is on the other side of 20lks. Hyundai just lost one USP with the Elite in this aspect.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 3rd November 2014 at 09:45.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 10:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

OEM beancounters are loathe to provide rear discs in hatches as it will add a few more pennies to their cost sheet. Actually, cost of a disc brake system is not much higher than a drum brake system - the cost addition in rear disc brakes lies in the handbrake actuation mechanism as you got to have a "drum - in - hat" design of the hub to accomodate the mechanically actuated handbrake. hence the aversion i guess.
Old 3rd November 2014, 10:20   #24
Team-BHP Support

I really do not know if it is relevant, but a Hayabusa's rear disc brake diameter is smaller than that of Pulsar-220, says something?

Braking on a Motorcycle (road/track) is a front brake affair, so you have 4 pot + 2 huge discs upfront
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks