Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:01   #196
Joy
BHPian

Thanks Jebs. If you get any pricing infomation, do post here.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:16   #197
BHPian

The Beat will be launched with only petrol engine first. A later diesel Engine will follow later as per Autocar India.

The M300 will initially come with only a 1.2-litre petrol engine for the Indian market. It’s essentially the same 1206cc motor currently used in the face-lifted Aveo in international markets. However, for India the engine capacity will be reduced to 1199cc by slightly reducing the bore (the stroke remains unchanged). This 1.2 litre is from GM’s ‘Family B’ which is the company’s latest engine family. The all-aluminium twin-cam, 16-valve motor produces an estimated 82bhp - impressive output for a 1.2 motor.

However, the M300’s trump card that is yet-to-be-seen is the 936cc three-cylinder diesel engine. Autocar India first broke the news of this brand-new motor in the July 2007 issue when it was still in its development stage. This three-cylinder diesel is essentially the 1.3-litre Multi-jet with one cylinder chopped off. It’s not that simple though and an engineering source informed us that the entire block needed to be stiffened and counter-balancer shafts added to the crank to iron out the inherent imbalance of a three-cylinder motor. The same source confirmed that the power and torque figures can safely be estimated to be 75 percent of the Fiat engine. Hence, expect this sub-1-litre diesel to produce 57bhp and 14.52kgm of torque, which should be sufficient for a car weighing under a tonne.

The talking point of this compact diesel engine is its class leading fuel efficiency. Unfortunately, the diesel M300 is not expected until end-2010 as the company’s diesel engine plant at Talegaon near Pune won’t be ready until then. The pricing of the M300 will be the key the car’s success in India and a high level of localisation will ensure that the M300 is very competitively priced to take on rivals like the i10 and the A-star. The worry is that the M300 with aggressive pricing could undercut the existing Spark. However, GM has something up its sleeve for that model too!

:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:30   #198
BANNED

i love the way the rear doors open. no handles on door but near the windows. wicked move. guessing no one here noticed that.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:49   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
i love the way the rear doors open. no handles on door but near the windows. wicked move. guessing no one here noticed that.

This styling is being used by Nissan in its SUV's since long time in other markets. Its new for our market though .
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:41   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess you have not seen the previous post carefully.
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:56   #201
BHPian

damn what a bad driver these guys have. look at the bumper at the back both sides hit!!???? wow!!

looks.... smashing

Quote:
yeah i noticed just thought everyone know it! amazing isn't.

if we can have suicide doors like phantom. or scissor doors like the lambo.

atleast we can have these doors guys any name for them??

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd September 2009 at 18:09. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:05   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
yeah i noticed just thought everyone know it! amazing isn't.
Looks like you guys haven't read earlier posts . It's been mentioned zillion times in this thread.
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:33   #203
Senior - BHPian

The front looks smashing and blue color is really awesome in all these new launches.
However the back imo looks kind of first gen santroish and should have been a bit more simple and stylish.
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:06   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Me thinks that it doesn't look nice. Will be a hassle to use as well,. feels like opening a fridge door.
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:22   #205
BANNED

i think its cool. not that i will ever buy this car since i have one small car and i hate manual cars now. but all supercars and sportscars have wicked door handles. they must be doing research itself way before they put it in production right. i liked it definately. too bad ill be taking delivery of my gf's spark tomorrow morning itself.
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:35   #206
Senior - BHPian

Was just watching Transformers 2 (revenge of the fallen). Did anyone notice those twin autobots (the good robots)? I am quite sure they transform into the Chevy Beat.
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:26   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I am quite sure they transform into the Chevy Beat.
Yes they do. But only one of them - the Skids.

GM 2009 Chicago Auto Show

Quote:
SKIDS and MUDFLAP – twin AUTOBOTS® based on Chevy’s Beat (a concept that will go into production as the Chevy Spark in 2011) and Trax concepts.
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:22   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Have some scoop pics of Chevy Beat , spot @ chennai service centre
Maruti a-star + ritzs + chevy spark = chevrolet beat...
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:30   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool_Red View Post
Me thinks that it doesn't look nice. Will be a hassle to use as well,. feels like opening a fridge door.
Lol! But its one small wow factor that ups the uniqueness of the car even if it serves no purpose.
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:09   #210
BHPian

Been seeing this car for last 4-5 days in chinchwad area - got an opportunity of clicking today.

New GM Chevrolet Beat- Scoop pics on Pg 6, 12,18 & 22 - Details on Pg 16-beat.jpg

And frankly speaking, I liked what i saw.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks