Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 10:49   #1
BHPian

Skoda Fabia COTY 2008

Overdrive has announced Skoda Fabia as COTY 2008. I believe this is first time when BS, Overdrive and Autocar has announced different models as COTY 2008.

Source: Overdrive - CNBC-TV18 Overdrive Awards 2009
Old 13th January 2009, 11:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
Overdrive has announced Skoda Fabia as COTY 2008. I believe this is first time when BS, Overdrive and Autocar has announced different models as COTY 2008.

Source: Overdrive - CNBC-TV18 Overdrive Awards 2009
Really shows the importance of these damn COTY awards.

I guess Fabia had to get some award, for redefining "overpriced cars".
Old 13th January 2009, 11:38   #3
BANNED

Congratulations to Fabia & Skoda !!!

This comment is not really in right spirit. Are you feeling bad that your favorite car didn't win? Let me tell you, key to joy in life is in celebrating success of others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
I guess Fabia had to get some award, for redefining "overpriced cars".
Old 13th January 2009, 11:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo
This comment is not really in right spirit. Are you feeling bad that your favorite car didn't win? Let me tell you, key to joy in life is in celebrating success of others.
Wondering why I did not see similar joy in you when ACI crowned the Linea as COTY or even when tbhp-ians voted the Linea as TBHP-COTY. Was it by any chance due to your favourite car (City of life) losing the COTY race in both instances ?

P.S. : Ofcourse you could argue that it was only because the Linea was not officially launched in 2008. But then again, the other side could put forth arguments like Fiat selling 130-odd Lineas in 2008 + ACI having done a full test on the car + some tbhp-ians having already booked the Linea before 31-Dec-2008 etc etc.
Old 13th January 2009, 11:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post

What happ to you Diabloo???
Old 13th January 2009, 11:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Fabia as COTY ! It car has barely been success.
I'm begining to believe that money makes the world go around even in the auto mag world.
First autocar crowned the Linea as the COTY even though its not launched. And now this !Did anyone see the autocar show on UTVi,where they were justifying why the linea is a contendender since 140 odd cars were sold and dispatched even before the launch. They fumbled and tried hard to cover up.
Old 13th January 2009, 11:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

OT :-

Zigwheels has voted 2 cars as car of the year : A-Star & New City. What sense does it make in voting 2 cars as COTY ?? What are these car mag smoking these days???
Old 13th January 2009, 11:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations to Fabia & Skoda !!!

You are saying that Diabloo ?

And what joy and all, when Fabia isnt even a success ?

Whatever made you think that I have a favourite car here. And for the Team-BHP CoTY, I'd voted for the Jetta since it wasnt getting any votes. So you get the drift ?
Old 13th January 2009, 11:53   #9
BANNED

What we need is a fair poll. Let the deserving win in a fair poll.

Note: A film was supposed to be released in 2008. Since the project was delayed, it was released only in 2009. Will it qualify for Oscars in 2009 itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
P.S. : Ofcourse you could argue that it was only because the Linea was not officially launched in 2008. But then again, the other side could put forth arguments like Fiat selling 130-odd Lineas in 2008 + ACI having done a full test on the car + some tbhp-ians having already booked the Linea before 31-Dec-2008 etc etc.
Old 13th January 2009, 11:54   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
First autocar crowned the Linea as the COTY even though its not launched. And now this !Did anyone see the autocar show on UTVi,where they were justifying why the linea is a contendender since 140 odd cars were sold and dispatched even before the launch. They fumbled and tried hard to cover up.
I had taken up the cudgels on ACI about the i20 being nominated for COTY. Then found the Linea. The argument given was that any car announced is eligible. IMHO if this is the case then the rules ought to be changed. I have said so there.
I think any car to be considered should have been on sale for at least two months.
Old 13th January 2009, 12:03   #11
BANNED

Rules to qualify for Oscars:
"a film must open in the previous calendar year, from midnight at the start of January 1 to midnight at the end of December 31, in Los Angeles County California, to qualify"

Similarly, we can make rules for COTY:
"a car must be launched in the previous calendar year, from midnight at the start of January 1 to midnight at the end of December 31, in sovereign democratic republic of India, to qualify"

Oscars are given in the end of Feb after due scrutiny. Similary COTY can be given in Feb after 2 months of sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think any car to be considered should have been on sale for at least two months.
Old 13th January 2009, 12:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rules to qualify for Oscars:
"a film must open in the previous calendar year, from midnight at the start of January 1 to midnight at the end of December 31, in Los Angeles County California, to qualify"

Similarly, we can make rules for COTY:
"a car must be launched in the previous calendar year, from midnight at the start of January 1 to midnight at the end of December 31, in sovereign democratic republic of India, to qualify"

Oscars are given in the end of Feb after due scrutiny. Similary COTY can be given in Feb after 2 months of sale.
Ah! Whatay comparision there.

You dont generally watch movies after the Oscars are awarded. Not if you a film buff atleast.

On the other hand these COTY awards convince a lot of buyers to go for the award winners. I guess there is some trading that takes place. So that new launches like Linea/i20 etc get some mileage out it.
Old 13th January 2009, 12:17   #13
BHPian

Skoda Fabia (and other) COTYs

This actually points to the fact that the "judging" few have their own agendas and own reasoning, none of which has any direct relation to the "consuming" many!
As there are more and more launches we shall see increasingly splintered verdicts, we should just continue doing what we do, namely, look to forums such as TeamBHP for the user point of view, and make our conclusions accordingly.
The right to brag about a COTY and plaster it as a marketing tool in form of a sticker on a car's backside does not in any way make the said automobile any better, cheaper, easier to run, more powerful, greener, or any other much abused parameter.
Those with the money to buy a particular car, for whatever reason, will go ahead and do so. The justifications about value and the like reside in our heads.
When you know for a fact that a fully loaded Jetta abroad with a engine displacement above 2 liters is retailing for around 13 L ( possibly without taxes), what value can we assign to the ridiculous prices we pay here, no matter how anemic or stripped down the vehicle might be?
The COTY is like the ballot paper. You don't want to vote for the garbage on offer, but you make the best of the poor choice we are stuck with.
Old 13th January 2009, 12:50   #14
BHPian

Chill folks. I wish we had more auto mags. That way every car that gets launched would get atleast one COTY.

Think about every new car spotting stickers "COTY 2xxx" - Call it level playing field
Old 13th January 2009, 12:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

The reason OD gave Fabia the COTY crown is because it opened up a new segment (as per them - as if cars like Fusion & SRV didnt exist).

I feel to some extent it is indeed justified. It might look like a failure today but it could be a torch-bearer for coming years as people will have to shift to smaller cars (as congestion is increasing day by day). Those wanting luxury will go for such cars despite their price. Its such a pity that respected brands (in Indian context) like Toyota and Honda do not have anything to offer in this segment (as of now) but there are all indications that they are also thinking hard about a presence here (Jazz might come this year though I am not so sure given the current economic climate).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks