Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2009, 21:33   #31
BHPian

worst road

The 20 km stretch from Sattur to Sivakasi in Tamilnadu is 'Hell on Earth'
Old 18th January 2009, 09:50   #32
BHPian

Majority of the Karnataka Border roads are in worst condition. The Virajpet - Kerala border via Makutta and HD Kote - Kattikkulam Via Kabani are on top ranks. I don't believe the terrain or the climate plays a major role in the condition of these roads, its purely due to the poor workmanship, high amount of bribery and off course political negligence as there is no vote banks in these areas.
Old 18th January 2009, 09:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post

When I mentioned Kaza - Gramphu via Kunzom pass, the above would be an example of a better part of the road. A few kms out of Kaza are great tho. If I remember correctly, this stretch is outside the BROs purview.
More pics:

At the top of the Kunzom pass itself the surface is easy enough, the downhill after that and the "road" (which you sometimes have to "deduce" from extrapolations of your path and the next bend) is amazingly pretty and horrid at the same time. Bone chilling winds don't help either
we are talking about "worst roads" here and not "no roads" at all
Old 18th January 2009, 10:16   #34
BHPian

What about farmers dumping their produce and working in the middle of the road?
That would make any road the 'worst'.
Old 19th January 2009, 14:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvation View Post
we are talking about "worst roads" here and not "no roads" at all
That was a really good one, could'nt stop myself
Old 19th January 2009, 14:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
That was a really good one, could'nt stop myself
Yep, and totally appropriate At the same time, I'd almost not want those stretches to "get better" - the surroundings were soooo beautiful and the challenge of the ride was the fun part.
Old 19th January 2009, 14:18   #37
BANNED

Ty NH92 between Etawah & Bhind, or even more specifically Gohad-Mehgaon. Calling this road jeepable is wrong - the only term I can use is Tractorable. It has been like this for well over a year.

I used to drive Kanpur-Etawah-Gwalior (~170km) in about five hours. After the GQ (NH2) between Kanpur-and Etawah it is still 5 hours. Earlier Kanpur Etawah (~160km) was three hours and Etawah - Gwalior (~110km) two hours now the time distribution is the other way round.
Old 19th January 2009, 14:37   #38
Team-BHP Support

I can't believe nobody has mentioned NH-17 or National Horror 17.

The NH-17 in Karnataka during July-Dec is one of the top contender for the title.
Old 19th January 2009, 14:45   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I can't believe nobody has mentioned NH-17 or National Horror 17.

The NH-17 in Karnataka during July-Dec is one of the top contender for the title.
I have heard a lot of it from my son. Recently driving to Manipal from Bajpe (The NH stretch is from at Pendubidri (I hope I have the spelling right) to Udupi showed up the horror of this road, but I still feel that NH92 is far worse.
Old 19th January 2009, 19:12   #40
BHPian

The NH48 - Shiradi Ghat stretch certainly is a top contender for this dubious distinction. The road is simply not motorable and is currently used only by the mining trucks. The craters are so huge that cars/muv/mpv's/suv's will find it difficult to travel. Some portion of the road is also avoided by the mining trucks and as a result you can find them coming on the wrong side at full speed.

KSRTC (Volvo as well as Rajahamsa) & private buses have stopped travelling on this road. Based on the feedback provided by members on this forum, people driving their own cars use other alternative routes. This justifies the nomination to some extent.
Old 19th January 2009, 23:53   #41
BHPian

Road between Ghodbundar & virar after the rains becomes a car breaker road with massive pot holes & traffic jams. NH4 From Hubli to Bangalore was vey bad when i last travelled. NH17 from Kumta to Hubli via ankola & yellapur was very bad, & i was told NH17 from Kumta to Mangalore was also bad.
Old 21st January 2009, 14:12   #42
BHPian

Some states seem to the worst roads (Karnataka, North eastern states etc), and some have the best roads ( Rajastan, Andra Pradesh, Tamil nadu).
Is is because the road building authorities ( NHAI, State road dev corps) are more efficient in some states than others
Old 21st January 2009, 14:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Some states seem to the worst roads (Karnataka, North eastern states etc), and some have the best roads ( Rajastan, Andra Pradesh, Tamil nadu).
Is is because the road building authorities ( NHAI, State road dev corps) are more efficient in some states than others
I guess no one pays enough attention to the North East. Hence there is no development. I think State Govts should also push for better roads.

While AP has some the best roads on NH 5, the Orissa stretch is atrocious at its best. Long stretches of WIP roads with no results.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:39   #44
BHPian

kokkare bellur

The rd to Kokkare bellur after breaking away from mysore - bangalore rd.
I think its junked intentionally to keep humans away from the winged visitors.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:52   #45
BHPian

Hindupur to Madhugiri

This state highway is very good in AP till you enter Karnataka border. After that all vehicles mainly trucks and buses travel on wasteland & fields next to road.

Most Viewed