Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2009, 11:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

WOW, so Audi has doen it yet again !! Needs a TD for sure. This if priced right should beat the hell out of the competition !

Kudos to Audi for bringing in "real choices"

Cheers
Old 25th January 2009, 12:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

I don't see all this generating volumes for Audi unless they choose the CKD route. CBUs are never going to be cost effective and I see majority of the people not paying more for the A4 3.0D over the 520D.

It could be well worth it but its still not for the Indian market yet in the segment in which it is competing.

Another major reason for the 3.0D A4 to not sell well is: By adding another 3-4 laks, one could buy the 530D, which at least theoretically is a better car for sure.

Last edited by dipen : 25th January 2009 at 12:24.
Old 25th January 2009, 12:42   #33
BHPian

I'd have to agree with dipen here. I don't see too many takers for the A4 3.0D ( barring a few enthusiasts ), as a BMW 520 would be cheaper and one could stretch to a 530d by a small margin.

This could also eat into the sales of the A6 with 2.8 FSi/ 2.7 TDi, as their pricing would be close to the new A4 3.0D.

Hope Audi wakes up and smells the coffee !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
I don't see all this generating volumes for Audi unless they choose the CKD route. CBUs are never going to be cost effective and I see majority of the people not paying more for the A4 3.0D over the 520D.

It could be well worth it but its still not for the Indian market yet in the segment in which it is competing.

Another major reason for the 3.0D A4 to not sell well is: By adding another 3-4 laks, one could buy the 530D, which at least theoretically is a better car for sure.
Old 13th March 2009, 14:43   #34
BHPian

Well the News is out. Audi has Finally CKD'ed thier A4 (2.0 TDI and TSI ). The A4 which with the WCI pack retails on Road ( outside excise) for a good 1L cheaper than the BMW 3 series 320D Highline. And the Petrol is priced at the exact same price point. So that car just got cheaper
Old 13th March 2009, 20:10   #35
BHPian

Going by the pricing of the VW Group, i would be expecting the prices of Passat to drop soon.

Also i personally now think that VW Group, will phase out "Laura" and bring in the face-lifted version of Octavia as Octavia. The car in the price range of Laura will be replaced by Jetta.

Octavia > Jetta > Superb > Passat > A4

Btw, Excellent move by Audi.

Last edited by d3adlythegame : 13th March 2009 at 20:14.
Old 17th March 2009, 09:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about the A4 3.0D in particular but I just TD'd the A6 3.0 TDI Quattro last weekend and given that the engine is the same, any of us driving an A4 3.0D is sure to get ourselves killed.....and that's a good thing

The power is so unbelievable, no turbo lag or any such hogwash, just 450NM of Satan's Fuel Kick-In-The-A** everytime you kickdown, mated to an excellent DSG box which is best left in S-automatic mode. Quattro might just save your life, it did save mine on seaface
Old 17th March 2009, 11:30   #37
BHPian

So would you rate it over your 525d?
Old 17th March 2009, 11:34   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I don't know about the A4 3.0D in particular but I just TD'd the A6 3.0 TDI Quattro last weekend and given that the engine is the same, any of us driving an A4 3.0D is sure to get ourselves killed.....and that's a good thing

The power is so unbelievable, no turbo lag or any such hogwash, just 450NM of Satan's Fuel Kick-In-The-A** everytime you kickdown, mated to an excellent DSG box which is best left in S-automatic mode. Quattro might just save your life, it did save mine on seaface
Are you changing loyalties from the 530d to the A6 3.0TDi?
Then you must replace your profile pic
Old 17th March 2009, 12:15   #39
BHPian

About time Sahil had a test drive. Lol. But then again im sad that my A4 will not have Quattro!
Old 17th March 2009, 12:28   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
About time Sahil had a test drive. Lol. But then again im sad that my A4 will not have Quattro!
I did actually get a test drive of the A6, I was all ready to put my money down on it before the 5 series was launched. Wasn't happy with the E-class so had only the A6 as my option 3 years back.
But the TD car which was brand new, failed all its electronics even before anyone sat in the car! Now even the sales guy stopped chasing us after that as there was no way a customer would put down money on a product that failed miserably in the first impression itself.
Old 17th March 2009, 12:32   #41
BHPian

That engine on the A4 should be crazy fun though. Raving about the 3.2 fsi is great, but just that the 3.0 should be so much more fun to drive! I used to be a petrol head. Till i got introduced to Diesel Torque!!
Old 17th March 2009, 14:18   #42
BHPian

No matter what new engines brought by Audi, they will never catch the BMWs & Merces in India, as they have only CBUs.

They have to wait for few years, start production / assembly here & than they put such devil engines; than only Audi can win in India.

Last edited by loving_alaap : 17th March 2009 at 14:19.
Old 17th March 2009, 14:54   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
No matter what new engines brought by Audi, they will never catch the BMWs & Merces in India, as they have only CBUs.

They have to wait for few years, start production / assembly here & than they put such devil engines; than only Audi can win in India.
Poppycock - the A4 and A6 are assembled by Skoda
Old 17th March 2009, 15:01   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Poppycock - the A4 and A6 are assembled by Skoda

OOPS!

So, even after they priced them much higher?
Old 17th March 2009, 15:44   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So would you rate it over your 525d?
I didn't drive the 525d. I drove the 530D Highline earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Are you changing loyalties from the 530d to the A6 3.0TDi?
Ummm...to be honest, the Quattro really did make a difference. Grip around the bend was phenomenal, and towards the end when I had to lift off (from kickdown!) to save a retarded biker and his woman, and then brake hard while doing it, the A6 felt better balanced than my overall experience with the 530D. Ask Dippy for his opinion as well, we did the TD together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Then you must replace your profile pic
Didn't say it looks better at night with the headlamps on And frankly the new LED strip isn't going to do much for the A6.

Quote:
That engine on the A4 should be crazy fun though. Raving about the 3.2 fsi is great, but just that the 3.0 should be so much more fun to drive! I used to be a petrol head. Till i got introduced to Diesel Torque!!
Exactly my sentiments. The same 3.0 diesel I drove in the A6 will be MENTAL to drive in the A4 I'm sure. And I'm a convert too. Wide powerbands aren't something I crave for too much. Some nice turbo kick and diesel torque does enough to put a smile on my face.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 17th March 2009 at 15:47.

Most Viewed