Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2005, 11:07   #1
BANNED

Fiat: Tata Possible Partner In India

Guys..I am not bluffing...

see this:

http://www.agi.it/english/news.pl?do...eng.bnessitaly

(AGI) - Rome, Apr. 21 - According to the Mondadori weekly "Economy", Tata Motors could be the partner with whom Sergio Marchionne, Fiat managing director, is negotiating in India for a huge industrial agreement in the automobile sector. Old friends of the Agnelli family the owners of Tata Motors are industrial tycoons at the head of a conglomerate operating in many sectors: from industrial vehicles, components, aviation software, Tata Steel steelworks up to financing of tourism facilities, energy, chemistry, food industry and much more. The holding created in 1868 entered into the automobile sector in 1945, in 2003 it reached production quota 3 million and in 2004 purchased the industrial vehicles division of Daewoo. Now the holding is preparing to launch a super-economy car for 1,600 euro. Today Tata has a turnover of 15 billion dollars and about 220,000 employees.

Old 22nd April 2005, 12:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

I hope this is not another false rumour. But yeah, Tata and Fiat may make a good partnership. Both suck equally at different things. LOL
Old 22nd April 2005, 12:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

All talk and no show, that's the way Fiat goes.
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:02   #4
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Last week, a friend of mine working in ITC-Grand Maratha had told me that a couple of people from Fiat Italy had come to visit TATA factory. It got me wondering....
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Does it make sense for TATA to enter into a partnership with FIAT? I dont think so. I think their product portfolio is quite similar and why would TATA want to create competiton for itself?
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
Does it make sense for TATA to enter into a partnership with FIAT? I dont think so. I think their product portfolio is quite similar and why would TATA want to create competiton for itself?
Prima facie I do not think they are creating competition for themselves. If they can earn money by selling Fiat cars then they might as well. Because I do not see any similarity between any of their cars. Yes the Petra Diesel might be a sore point. But otherwise the other Fiats are not in the same league as the Tata products.
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yaawn! Whats Fiat ?

Seriously, dont you guys think its time to say TATA to FIAT?
Old 22nd April 2005, 15:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Yaawn! Whats Fiat ?

Seriously, dont you guys think its time to say TATA to FIAT?
No. I disagree. I think there is a lot of potential in the cars if they are marketed and supported well. They seem to be better than a lot of their competitors.
Old 22nd April 2005, 15:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh, not another Fiat thread. Why give so much importance (bandwidth) to a manufacturer who doesn't give a damn about its customers?? Abt the topic on hand, i don't think its likely to happen. TATA are doing great as it is and probably would want to keep their distance from the bad image of Fiat.
Old 22nd April 2005, 15:27   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
TATA are doing great as it is and probably would want to keep their distance from the bad image of Fiat.
Exactly! Why would they want to associate themselves with a company that is in this much trouble?

Quote:
not another Fiat thread.
My thoughts too when I saw the title!!
Old 22nd April 2005, 15:32   #11
BHPian

Another news regarding Tata's regarding the deal with Rover - "Tata Motors to pursue Rover guarantee"
http://in.rediff.com/money/2005/apr/22tata.htm

"Tata Motors had entered into an arrangement with MG Rover in 2002 to export 100,000 Indica cars over a five-year period. The Indicas were supposed to hit European roads under the City Rover brand name.

According to the source, so far approximately 10,000 Indicas have been exported to MG Rover."

With some of parts and stock which could not be sold in UK, we might see some "Limited edition International" Indicas too...

~maniac
Old 22nd April 2005, 16:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Admin : Post Deleted. Watch your tone. Theres no need for personal attacks when a sensible issue is being discussed.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 22nd April 2005 at 17:02.
Old 22nd April 2005, 18:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

mods yet another topic to lock.

this has the potential to get out of hand like the hyundai vs honda topics(no subforums for them??), so pls kindly lock it up.

another thing my two cents, tata would benifit from fiat,with thier engine range and over all better build quality.
Old 22nd April 2005, 19:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Longterm, this deal will be good for TATA (depending on how they negotiate) because no other global major is willing to be a minority partner with them. They will get access to the latest technology from Fiat like CRDi, crash testing etc.

The other big problem is that they dont have a C/C+ segment car for Indigo customers to move up, and this could come from Fiat. (Stilo)

In the short term they have to make sure that Indica and Palio dont compete directly, by doing some clever market positioning.
Old 22nd April 2005, 19:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

TATA can be benifited by this
If they sell FIAT cars with TATA-FIAT badge with TATA's customer support there will be nothing like it! (seems highly unlikely though)

as for Indica & Palio,
TATA should discontinue Indica Petrol & replace it by FIAT Palio Petrol & disconnect Palio diesel
just my thought
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks