Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:22   #31
BANNED

@SBR. If it does not meet Euro IV then it does not.

The gist of the news was that M800 will be withdrawn from E-IV cities. The undertone is that it will still be sold in the rest. Hence withdrawing and reintroducing is out. What is obvious that there is no plan for an engine transplant into the ageing M800.
Old 1st April 2009, 18:33   #32
BHPian

Latest news from some reliable resources, Maruti wont discontinue the 800. Perhaps they are going to offer 70k price cut on Alto and 40k price cut on 800 from june. I can not disclose from where i came to know about this.
Old 1st April 2009, 18:53   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
With no offence to m800 fans i would rather say its about time!!!

I wish for a day when manufacturers would withdraw outdated products themselves than wait for govts and policies to force them

Elito
toyota has done it in India. High time Indian companies learn a lesson
Old 1st April 2009, 19:54   #34
BHPian

Next line of Victims

Next line of Victims (Engines):

Alto~Swift Petrol engines
India NA diesel engine & Zeta petrol engine.
Santro Petrol engine

Please extend the list..
Old 1st April 2009, 20:11   #35
BHPian

Yes yes yes, while companies are at it, maybe they can quietly and slyly remove outdated models like the accent *whistles*

I like it that policies are making companies remove/update cars.

For those who think the m800 is special and etc etc, it will still be available in most cites of India barring those that are Euro IV complaint.

Wasn't there the scoop of the new Swift? I don't think a new petrol engine will come before the new swift.
Old 1st April 2009, 22:27   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
You should thank the 'sarkari' oil firms. They were unable to produce E-III petrol (and possibly Diesel as well) for quite some time after the E-III norms came in. Let us see what happens with E-IV.

Can someone enlighten us as to what differences, if any, will be there in fuels pecs with Euro-IV from Euro-III.
The major difference in EuroIII and EuroIV fuels is that the levels of suphur is lower from 150 ppm to 50 ppm for petrol and 350ppm to 50 ppm in diesel. This means lower Sulphur dioxide and lower Unburnt hydrocarbin due to a more complete combustion.

If EIV diesel is not used in a EIV vehicle then most likely the emission control systems like the Catcon will get damaged and may actually lead to an increase in emissions. Also the seals and gaskets used will not be compatible with the fuel.
Old 1st April 2009, 22:30   #37

BHPians its official.
The Mahindra Scorpio mHawk is the first vehicle in India to be approved by government agencies (ARAI) as per BSIV norms.
It is also the first INDIAN company to do so leaving behind TATA's.
Old 2nd April 2009, 00:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Alto has the basically the same motor but with 16 valves. So either Maurti will also have to lose Alto or Alto might get the a new motor. If the new motor comes in Alto, its rather good news and positive outcome of these norms ( apart from reduced emissions ).
But I think, M800 and Omni still constitute of a good amount of overall sales, so they might come up with some trick, I guess.

But the withdrawal of M800 is a bad thing at any point of time. The car deserves more and may be there are people who cannot afford to go for Alto, but still want a four wheeler, for them its still M800 as their first car.
Um.. 16 valves, 3 cylinders, so that's what? 3.33 valves per cylinder? Something just doesn't seem right. Right?

About time the outdated piece of unsafe machinery went out of the market, but I have a suspicion Maruti won't let it go so easy. What's so difficult about replacing an engine? If they'll do it for an Alto, they can do it for an 800. They probably have the same mounting points anyway.
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:44   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
.... I can not disclose from where i came to know about this.
was this the source? DNA Money
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Its so ironic that new utility vehicles (from TATA, Mahindra, Piaggio) spewing poison are being introduced and the government is not toughening the diesel emission standards. They run the maximum kms compared to personal vehicles.

As I had said earlier, Mahindra is introducing its Scorpio in the U.S which will meet tier 2 bin 5 emissions (on par with petrol emissions) and this practice is not being introduced in India. Its time we stop looking at european emission standards and look at the U.S.

And Ratan Tata should realise that not just personal transportation should be made available to Indians, he needs to contribute in cleaning up the environment.

The new Volvo buses in Bengaluru are all common rail and emissions are so much lower compared to the older ones.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:14   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
was this the source? DNA Money
No, i believe this article doesnt talk about price cut on any models.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

article in TOI today stated that both maruti 800 and maruti omni would be phased out of EIV cities and wont be available for sales there, so first to phase out would be 800 and omni, rest to follow.
Also Alto and swift are likely to get new K series petrol engines which would be aplicable to new norms.

Last edited by vijaythacker : 2nd April 2009 at 11:38.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:31   #43
BANNED

Alto would most likely get the A-Stars K-series engine & comply with new emission norms comfortably.
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse View Post
Having a new engine is always welcome. Maruti has already earned the fortune on M800 sales till date. They better give it latest gen engine that it deserves
Horse i think the torch for bread butter sale s has been passed to it s stable mate Alto for quite some time the sale s no. of alto is higher than the 800 !!
The omni does a huge duty in cargo collection s and drop within city limit s and have seen few Black Yellow cab s also registered but the black yellow cab s must surely be in CNG /LPG !!! Hence it will surely be continued in the gas avtaar . As far as the 800 is it s case shall definitely be put to rest will only be available in non metro cities i understand !!
Regards
SaJAan
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:06   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Latest news from some reliable resources, Maruti wont discontinue the 800. Perhaps they are going to offer 70k price cut on Alto and 40k price cut on 800 from june. I can not disclose from where i came to know about this.
70K discount for ALTO??

April fool !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks