Team-BHP - 2009 War of C+ Sedans- AHNC vs Linea vs Fiesta vs SX4 vs Aveo vs Verna vs Optra...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   2009 War of C+ Sedans- AHNC vs Linea vs Fiesta vs SX4 vs Aveo vs Verna vs Optra... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/52360-2009-war-c-sedans-ahnc-vs-linea-vs-fiesta-vs-sx4-vs-aveo-vs-verna-vs-optra.html)

With launch of AHNC and Linea, the C+-segment has really warmed up for competition in 2009. What are your opinions about each one?What do you think about it?

I thought of adding a poll, but more often than not, it presents a skewed picture and results are more inclined towards new entrants due to the hype surrounding it.

Let the war begin! Keep it civil, talk about car's strengths/weakness and avoid brand bashing i.e. as far as possible :-)

My Verdict
  1. ANHC - Head Turner - Amazing looks - Good Drivability - Good handling - A better Engine, unmatched efficiency ( petrol competitors), A bit over priced - Excellent Service Backup - Really Comfortable
  2. Linea - Quite good looking, Feature Packed - Renowned 1.3 MJD with added power - Good Space -Good Handling - Not too comfortable in the rear for tall people ( Low height of roof ) - Poor After Sales of Tata-Fiat ( As of now )
  3. Fiesta - Amazing Drivability - Unmatched handling in class - Linear power delivery - Excellent planted drive ( 1.6S especially ) - Frugal and Quite efficient Diesel ( though underpowered) - Interiors still no where compared to the City , Linea - After Sales improving as reported .
  4. Verna - 110bhp beast - Decent Space - Excellent Service - Poor Suspension - Petrol not upto the mark of competitors like fiesta, city, sx4 - Decent package.
  5. Aveo - An average engine, looks nothing to boast about - good maintenance package offered.
  6. SX4 - Excellent VFM. - Well featured - Excellent Pricing - High Ground Clearance - Excellent Maruti Service and low priced spares. - Excellent overall package. - Good engine - Poor Efficiency ( as heard about)

Magnum ( Won't come in the C+ segment i guess )

Quote:

Originally Posted by theragingbull (Post 1141827)
i totally agree to abhinav.gupta88

+1
Atleast on the Magnum front. It doesnt belong to this segment.

What about the Xylo ? It was supposed to kill all Sedans. :uncontrol

+1 to Abhinav. That's as close to a balanced view as we have seen in the threads recently :)

While there's something in there for everyone, for me the following cars standout:

1. ANHC - Looks are subjective but i quite like it - Good engine- FE seems to be decent for its size- H badge!!:D- Good A.S.S- Stingy Honda= lack of features- Kinda overpriced.
  2. Linea - Looks Brilliant from any angle- Good interiors- Neat features-Could have offered more powerful diesel- A.S.S. is not good compared to competition , needs loadsa improvement- Rear space could have been better for its size.
  3. Fiesta - Awesome 1.6 engine- Interior quality quite good- Extremely refined TDCI engine- Cramped interiors - A.S.S still needs some better back up.
  4. Verna - Brilliant CRDI engine- Awesome rear seat - Good A.S.S.- Lack of Airbags - Kinda overpriced- Handling is quite scary :D.
  5. Aveo - Decent looks- Neat interiors -Poor Gearbox-Not so powerful engine/ Badly needs a diesel and how could i forget GM's A.S.S.
  6. SX4 - Loaded to the brim- VFM- Decent engine-Awesome Maruti A.S.S backup- Interior plastics could be better- Rear seat not comfy for middle passenger- Badly needs a diesel since Petrol aint doing that well thanx to its cousin Dzire's DDIS.

1) G3HC : The only positive point is engine. Rear seat not as good as G2HC, good boot space ( shape could have been better ). Horribly overpriced, but selling because of Honda badge.

2) Linea : Engine could be better. A.S & S., we know about it. Looks are positive point along with the features.

3) Fiesta : Diesel is overpriced. Petrol now only 1.6 and a great buy, A.S & S. not on the list of above average. Buy this car with heart. Only the last surviving car from the era of G1HC, Baleno, Esteem and Josh machine.

4) Verna : Petrol is meaningless. Diesel is the one to buy. Turbo lag is there, but on highways, its great. IMO, the crash incidences are too much for this car. Suspension too soft ?

5) SX4 : Great mid range from engine. A car fun to drive and also satisfies mature family persons. Nice GC, space, A.S & S., etc. The best complete package.

6) Aveo : Just about average. Designed to cruise on highways, just that.

7) Optra : A great car. Space is excellent, dynamics are good, chassis is good, A.S & S. about OK. Deserves more respect. Interior build quality not the best. Diesel is the best and one to go for.

IMO, now even G3HC is not in c/c+ segment.

EDIT :
@karenraheja:
I commented on both Optra and G3HC and someone did mention Optra to be above c/c+ segment. I just added that now even G3HC, considering the pricing, goes above c/c+ segment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 1141892)
7) Optra : A great car. Space is excellent, dynamics are good, chassis is good, A.S & S. about OK. Deserves more respect. Interior build quality not the best. Diesel is the best and one to go for.

IMO, now even G3HC is not in c/c+ segment.

Then how did Optra manage to get into your list???

Does Maruti really have an license for 1.3 VGT power plant?. I am sure if they had it - they would have released it in SX4 by now. We have been talking about SX4 D, but we don't see it. Its probably most anticipated after Linea.

If they don't - probably FIAT did a wise decision :D

ANHC: I had a short test drive of the ANHC A/T with paddle shifters.
Negatives: Unexciting Acceleration (115 bhp ??), Unexciting/Confused Auto Tranny (Civic A/T felt much more responsive and accurate), Low on Standard Equipment, Rear looks odd, Expensive Spares, Very High Sticker Price.
Positives: Refined and Smooth engine, very Silent, Typical Honda Build inside-out, Nice Interiors.
Remarks: Test Reports suggest that the manual is a scorcher..maybe ! Because i drove only the A/T.

SX4: I own one !
Negatives: Unrefined Engine especially beyond 4000rpm, Average Build Quality, Noisy Front End which gives out a loose feeling, Body Roll despite a hard suspension, Skittish over mildly rutted roads due to excessively hard front suspension.
Positives: Overall the engine is a decent enough puller with a fantastic Mid-Range, Big fat tyres lend enormous grip and stance, Good Handling <despite from the body roll>, Decent Interiors with good comfy seats, high on Standard Equipment, Attractive Looks, Ground Clearance, Road Presence due to huge dimensions. Great A.S.S and Ultra-Cheap Maintenance Costs along coupled with already high VFM scores. A good overall package.
Remarks: It is rumoured that the SX4 suffers poor FE. However i feel that a 1.6L engine with no VVTi or similar tech, should be returning somewhere close to 10kmpl in delhi traffic. And i easily manage that figure, evn though my driving is not really "slow" or "smooth". And yes, the engine, although not refined, is a really good performer. I am more than satisfied with the car.

Fiesta:
have driven it quite a lot of times, both petrol and diesel.
Negatives: Small-ish dimensions inside-out < it appears a segment smaller to me !>, Boring Interiors with least interior space, the worst dashboard design, small and narrow seats, Again not too much of essential standard equipment for the price. Small dealer/ A.S.S network with extremely high spares and maintenance/repair costs. Suspension is a touch too soft.
Positives: Extremely Refined, Responsive and Smooth Engine(s) with decent FE figures, Good build inside out, Good Steering, Best Handling-Ride Combination, Smooth and Precise Gearshifting,
Remarks: The Engine, Suspension and Gearshift make it the enthusiast's choice. However, a notable point is that while extended warranty for Sx4 costs Rs.5K, the same costs 15K <3 times !> for the Fiesta. Same is the case of spares and serivicing/repairing costs. And yeah, it feels so small, especially on the inside !!!

Verna: Again, i have driven it many times, only the diesel.
Positives: Beastly Diesel with over 235Nm of much usable Torque, Refined and Resonably Silent, Good Build, Good A.S.S, Comfy Interiors, Overall a nice package for those whose top priority is space, comfort and hassle free ownership.
Negatives: Below Average Handling, Weak Brakes, Low on Standard Equipment, High-ish Sticker Price.
Remarks: The rush of the turbo diesel is heavenly, there's absolutely no substitute for that monstrous torque that throws you back into the seats !

the ANHC vs. Fiesta vs. SX4 vs.Verna comparison test was conducted by ACI.
the positions were as follows:
1)ANHC
2)Fiesta
3)SX4
4)Verna

i do agree with the comments and opinions voiced in by others but i did read that the ANHC interiors are not as good as NHC.is that true!!

@Vishesh
the interiors may seem small but after having driven all of the above said i did feel cozed up in the fiesta and the dashboard was actually real nicely laid out!! and of good finish.just telling my opinion!!

its true the A** outreach even though improving is not the best in the class
and about the suspension,yes the lower versions have softer ones than the S type!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishesh (Post 1141904)
Fiesta: Boring Interiors with least interior space, the worst dashboard design, Again not too much of essential standard equipment for the price. Suspension is a touch too soft.
Remarks: However, a notable point is that while extended warranty for Sx4 costs Rs.5K, the same costs 15K <3 times !> for the Fiesta. Same is the case of spares and serivicing/repairing costs. And yeah, it feels so small, especially on the inside !!!

I don't think it has boring interiors but it does feel small. IMHO the dashboard design is one of the best in its class. At 7.15 L ex showroom Delhi, it does offer adequate essential standard equipments along with dual airbags and ABS with EBD. Suspension on the S variant is not at all soft.

Fiesta Extended Warranty for 2 years costs Rs 8300/- (If purchased at the time of delivery).

Verna:
Comfy Interiors,
Negatives:Weak Brakes

Interiors comfy but it has the worst dashboard design.
IMHO the brakes are good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyWalker (Post 1141900)
Does Maruti really have an license for 1.3 VGT power plant?. I am sure if they had it - they would have released it in SX4 by now. We have been talking about SX4 D, but we don't see it. Its probably most anticipated after Linea.

If they don't - probably FIAT did a wise decision :D

Nope; they don't. Infact from what i hear, Fiat is playing tricks by delaying/rationing some of the critical engine parts for the MJD, which is what is causing the long waiting list for DZire-Diesel / Swift DDiS.

Going by that i doubt if Fiat will license VGT or the 1.6/1.9 diesel to Maruti unless ofcourse Linea fails to take off and Fiat ends up being just an engine supplier in India. Hope that doesn't happen, though.

My 2 cents:

ANHC: Overpriced as any car from Honda... I find the interiors terrible when compared to other cars in the segment.. I do not understand how the people who blasted SX4's interiors find the interiors of ANHC better. Positives are Average Kya Hai, H badge and the drivability. Rear is cramped compared to the NHC.

Fiesta: Cramped inside.. Great drivability. Best in class, I have to say... Let down because of poor A**.

Verna: The Diesel is a fantastic car.. Its hard to catch this beast on the highway... IMHO this car has the best interiors... Rear seat is a let down though...

SX4: Own one... Niggling issues are a big let down.. People complain about the Average but I am happy and I get anywhere between 10 and 11 always in City conditions... The ride is a bit bumpy on bad roads but I am always confident about taking on the next pothole.. Sluggish at lower RPMs... Was true definition of VFM in its segment(Linea takes that cake now)...

Linea: Has the potential to take on the ANHC because of higher Average Kya Hai. FIAT brand image could let it down. Best in class feature set on the top end variants... Good to see someone outpricing Maruti!! I think its a first...VFM

Aveo: The Era of this sedan is over...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariendj (Post 1141915)
@Vishesh
the interiors may seem small but after having driven all of the above said i did feel cozed up in the fiesta and the dashboard was actually real nicely laid out!! and of good finish.just telling my opinion!!
!

I too agree with this viewpoint. I feel the dashboard in the Verna and Linea are the worst, but that is just my opinion. Even the SX4 has lifted the dashboard scheme from the Swift, which does not bode well for a 8-lac car. Rear headroom is an issue both in the Linea and the SX4.

On the exterior side profile, I'd give full marks to the ANHC followed by the Linea , Aveo and the Fiesta. The Verna looks like its b.u.t.t. was abruptly chopped off, while the SX4 reminds me of the hunchback of Notre Dame (no offence intended).

My take,

1) ANHC & Linea : ANHC due to its dynamic and agressive styling, VTEC engine, handling,comfort and the Honda Badge(Overprcing comes along with that).Line due to it elegant styling, frugal diesel, great handling,ride quality and great pricing.

2) Fiesta : A Little cramped, but a frugal diesel(though underpowered and not the latest technological offering) and a sporty 1.6S (Handles like a dream).Is almost at the end of it product cycle.The new fiesta should be around the corner.

3) Verna : The petrol Verna is almost dead, but the diesel is a beast, good highway cruiser(unstable in very high speeds though) Overpriced without a premium badge.

4) SX4 : A very good VFM positioning, had a good sales initially, but lack of diesel option shows in sales figures.Almost took the battle to the NHC, but wasn't able to carry forward without a diesel option(Lacks the badge)

5) Aveo: A Jack of all arts, but king of none. Nothing special about this vehicle, but a good conservative sedan,failed to impress the customers even with attractive GM maintenance plans.