Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2009, 12:37   #16
BHPian

sighted a 'modded' A-Star on the Western Express Highway near Bandra, a nice metallic red with bling wheels. Looked really HOT, just like a funky 'Hot Wheels' toy! Sorry, no pics...

The looks are starting to grow on me, I must admit!
Old 24th January 2009, 19:23   #17
BHPian

Hearing a lot about the cramped rear space of the A-Star and so on. Today I sat in an A-Star for the first time, while giving my M800 for service. As a background, I tried almost every car possible before I finally bought the M800. The only reason I preferred the 800 over other cars is driver comfort. Believe me, other than the Swift, I just didnt fit into any other car(my knees hit the steering, or the steering column) even with the driver sear pushed fully back. I am 6ft, 90kilos and I think my legs are taller than they should be.

Anywayz, I've tried 800, alto, santro, wagonR, swift, indica, indigo, safari, scorpio, verna, among those I remember. And I've been the most comfortable in the 800 in terms of leg room. Of course, this is if I push the seat all the way back and someone would be nuts to try squeezing in behind me.

So, I looked at the A-Star from outside and it was toooo small. Nevertheless, after much deliberation, I decided to sit inside and get a feel for it. I found that the front leg room was way too much. I pulled myself front as much as I could before my legs hit the steering wheel. Once I felt I was comfortable, I got out and sat at the rear. I could sit comfortably behind the drivers seat which was adjusted for me.

This being the case, the A-Star has more than enough room for a family of 4. Wether the 5th person would fit in is of course debatable.
Old 24th January 2009, 20:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
The looks are starting to grow on me, I must admit!
True, true!
The only little doubt I have left is to do with the HUGE rear bumper that seems to go all the way up to half the height of the car. Can one load the boot without needing a small stepladder?!
Old 24th January 2009, 21:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

As regards the high boot, the A Star has company---the Linea too has a very high boot opening, though it is cavernous.
IMO, the rear of the A Star looks better than the i10's.
Old 25th January 2009, 21:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

I firmly believe that Swift Petrol is a true successor of the Zen. Its a "grown-up" version of the Zen.
Common attributes: Free revving engine, FTD factor, cramped rear, small boot, etc. A-star is a car that is built on the Swift attributes.
Uncommon attributes: Safety, Mileage, Kerb-weight.

I still miss our Zen. It had a light body and a powerful engine. This power to weight ratio, good handling ensured that it used to give "flying-like" feeling when revved on the highway. Especially when driven alone.
Old 26th January 2009, 00:02   #21
BANNED

Great thought!
How about shoe horning a 1.3l Esteem engine in the hood of the A-Star?
If it's possible without much trouble, then we have the real successor for our very old MH410, the mighty old Zen!

I would've definitely looked forward to a 4pot mill. But it seems like the current 3pot isn't that bad either. A good combo of a modified header and a better air filter would take care of the missing low end and better performance I assume.

MSIL! Come on! Answer our prayers!
One hot hatch on the same platform with a blitz scorcher of a 1.3 motor! Amen!
Old 26th January 2009, 02:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Hearing a lot about the cramped rear space of the A-Star and so on.
This being the case, the A-Star has more than enough room for a family of 4. Wether the 5th person would fit in is of course debatable.

I agree, if you position your front seat you ve got enough space on the rear. I havent tested the A start but realised this on the spark. I saw a video on Discovery on driving positions. I had adjusted the seats on the spark to that and the rear leg room did exist.

Considering that the Astar is also made for those taller Europeans/South Americans it does have a decent rear leg room.
Old 26th January 2009, 06:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Great thought!
How about shoe horning a 1.3l Esteem engine in the hood of the A-Star?
If it's possible without much trouble, then we have the real successor for our very old MH410, the mighty old Zen!
Amen!
Thats a good thought. A-star is very capable of taking the 1.3 engine. It drives pretty stable at high speeds with good in cabin noise damping and precise high speed steering. A-star sports 1.3 is something we are looking forward to.
Old 26th January 2009, 17:35   #24
BHPian

@breezydrive,greenhorn,blue_pulsar: I admit that I made a mistake in mentioning the A Star as the spiritual successor of the Zen. The Swift is indeed the car that deserves this honour. I got carried out by the generations of the Alto.

Maybe, just maybe if Maruti shoehorns the upcoming KB series 1.2l engine (slated for duty in the Splash/Ritz) then the A Star can stake its claim.
Old 26th January 2009, 17:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
@breezydrive,greenhorn,blue_pulsar: I admit that I made a mistake in mentioning the A Star as the spiritual successor of the Zen. The Swift is indeed the car that deserves this honour. I got carried out by the generations of the Alto.

Maybe, just maybe if Maruti shoehorns the upcoming KB series 1.2l engine (slated for duty in the Splash/Ritz) then the A Star can stake its claim.
Dude seriously, you have no reason to take back what you thought as right. Swift comes from Hyabusu bike. There is no link between zen and swift. Hence, no reason to claim swift as successor of anything. Its the first of its kind and it will have successors of its own.

On the other hand A-star as you showed in the first post shares many things with the zen.

By the way, why are you all so crazy about zen? If its a success then why would maruti take it off market while still keeping the omini/800 and other cars.
Old 26th January 2009, 19:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not at all! You are right in one way and we are right in another way! After all, everybody has his opinion, isn't it?

Quote:
You are absolutely right here.
Old 26th January 2009, 19:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Common attributes: Free revving engine, FTD factor, cramped rear, small boot, etc. A-star is a car that is built on the Swift attributes.
Uncommon attributes: Safety, Mileage, Kerb-weight.

I still miss our Zen. It had a light body and a powerful engine.
Swift is not near to Zen in FE and weight. Here is where the A-star comes in. A-star has good FE as compared to Swift and is comparable to Zen and the Kerb weight is not above 1 ton mark. Again the kerb weight is relatively less and the engine is nice one.

So A-star and Zen have the common points : Free revving engine, FTD factor, cramped rear, small boot, etc. + FE and less weight.

Uncommon points between Zen and A-star : Safety. A-star is better here.

So now IMO, a-star fits the bill " Zen Successor " better than Swift.
Also the internet surfing suggests that A-star interior feels better built than Swift ( I am talking with respect to rattles ), so this again is common with Zen.
Old 26th January 2009, 20:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

just because a car is bigger does not mean it should be ruled out as a sucessor. as cars evolve, they add more features, and might move up segments. check out the first gen civic and the current one.

on the other hand, the swift petrol occupies the price band the old zen occupied
Old 26th January 2009, 20:03   #29
BHPian

Just to add to aagoswami comments.

Astar outer body shell is very light. Infact, when you apply pressure the body actually goes in. I havnt experienced the zen, so couldnt say anything about it.

Also, the Hyundai accent has a similar kind of flimsy outer shell
Old 26th January 2009, 20:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Swift comes from Hyabusu bike.
Can you please enlighten us on this piece of information.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks