Team-BHP - A-star Vs the Zen (not the ESTILO)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   A-star Vs the Zen (not the ESTILO) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/52384-star-vs-zen-not-estilo.html)

hey everybody,
now we all know that when maruti introduced the Estilo in 2006 as a replacement for the Zen, it had taken a legendary hatch that had become a cult favorite for enthusiasts and tuners alike and replaced it with...........i really don't know what to say (maruti wasn’t really THINKING OUT OF THE BOX). So i'll leave it to your imagination to fill in the blanks.

Coming to the A-star, this little hatch has had mixed reviews, regarding its styling, space/interiors and engine. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone’s entitled to an opinion. So putting that aside, I had been wondering if anyone had thoughts on comparison’s between our favorite old Zen and the new member in the family. Car magazines compare newer models with each other and I’ve read various small car shoot outs, but this ones a bit different, separated by over a decade, I’ve put up some info on both and am left wondering if the new A-star has what it takes to replace the old favorite and become the next, tuners canvas. Here’s something to munch on, but excuse and correct me if I’m wrong.

A-Star (Vxi)
ENGINE
Displacement: 998cc, 3 cyl, MPFi, KB-series
DOHC, 4valves/cyl
Maximum Power: 67 Bhp @ 6200 rpm
Maximum Torque: 90 Nm @ 3500 rpm
Power to weight 75 Bhp/Tonne
Bore/stroke 73/79.5mm
Compression 10.1:1
GEAR RATIOS (5 speed manual)
1st 3.454/7.01
2nd 1.904/12.72
3rd 1.28/18.92
4th 0.966/25.08
5th 0.815/29.72
Final Drive 4.388:1
SUSPENSION/STEERING & BODY
Kerb weight 860kg (Vxi)
Front suspension Ind McPherson Strut
Rear suspension Non independent, trailing arm,Torsion beam, Coil spring & gas filled shocks
Steering/type Rack & Pinion, Electric assist
Turning circle 4.5m
BRAKES
Front Ventilated Discs
Rear Drums
DIMENSIONS (in mm)
Length 3500
Width 1600
Height 1490
Wheel base 2360
Track front 1405
Track rear 1400
PERFORMANCE (info from varied sources)
0-100kmph 15.3s

Zen (Lx/Lxi)
ENGINE
Displacement: 993cc, 4cyl, Carb/Mpfi G10B series
SOHC 2valves/4valves/cyl
Maximum Power: 60 Bhp @6000rpm
Maximum Torque: 78.48Nm@4500rpm
Power to weight 79.6 Bhp/tonne
Bore/stroke 72/61 mm
Compression 9.4:1
GEAR RATIOS(5 speed manual)
1st 3.416/6.98
2nd 1.894/12.60
3rd 1.28/18.64
4th 0.914/26.10
5th 0.757/31.52
Final Drive 4.388:1
SUSPENSION/STEERING & BODY
Kerb weight 765kg
Front suspension Ind McPherson Strut
Rear suspension 3 link rigid axle w/isolated trailing arms, Coil springs & gas filled shocks
Steering/type Rack & Pinion, Electric assist
Turning circle 3.9m
BRAKES
Front Disc
Rear Drums
DIMENSIONS (in mm)
Length 3465
Width 1494
Height 1405
Wheel base 1190
Track front 1335
Track rear 1305
PERFORMANCE(info from varied sources)
0-100kmph 15.58s

Hmmmmmm, what can I say. The A-Star is all new, with its tear drop design and funky but cramped interiors. The engine could have done with 4 pots instead of 3. Maybe you can add new headers and an exhaust system, maybe performance plugs and an air filter, even an upgraded ECU. Slim sports seats, 2 tone interiors and a flat bottom steering wheel and best of all 195/50 15’s on the outside with a nicely styled add on kit. What do you think? Any takers?

Nice comparison - the suspension and build seems to be improved over the Zen, but slightly more power would have been nice to round off the package. Another question is whether the K series engine free-revving enough to use all of that 67 HP?

Amit.

I drive a A-star.

One things is the 2nd gear doesnt pull enough at 20kmph, I have to downshift to 1st gear to get the momentum going. But in highways, it rocks. Highway mileage is good. City mileage very much depends on the traffic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritz830 (Post 1142948)
I drive a A-star.

One things is the 2nd gear doesnt pull enough at 20kmph, I have to downshift to 1st gear to get the momentum going. But in highways, it rocks. Highway mileage is good. City mileage very much depends on the traffic

Does look like a High revving engine. Will be interesting to know the mileage you are getting in city driving alone. Can you please share them please. I am eager to know the gap between the Mileage certified by ARAI and the actual one.

they should have launched it as a 2 door, then it would have made more sense
Quote:

I drive a A-star.
Er, who are you and what are you doing in ritz's ID ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritz830 (Post 1142948)
I drive a A-star.

:Shockked::Shockked:
I am shocked because i remember sometime back you had started threads on why people should not buy Maruti hatchbacks, and why Spark is a much better buy than the A-Star.
What then made you buy the A-Star? Please do let us know your thought process, it will help the prospective buyers.

To me, the A-star is new Zen ( obviously not the Zen Estilo ). Both have free revving engines, both have less space when the world is going behind comfort in cars, both have good handling, both are low slung when the world thinks the other way round, both are relatively more fun to drive. Even the rear end of A-star is some what looking similar to Zen, only that the tail lamps and bumper have grown bigger.

The powertrain of both the cars are nice and both are nice to drive on highways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 1143040)
I am shocked because i remember sometime back you had started threads on why people should not buy Maruti hatchbacks, and why Spark is a much better buy than the A-Star.
What then made you buy the A-Star? Please do let us know your thought process, it will help the prospective buyers.

+1. Even I want to hear your thoughts, especially on a 4 wheeled whatever (remember its not a car).

Junta, is visibility for a short driver (who was not comfortable with the height of dashboard in Spark) a problem in A-star ? Is it similar / better / worse than spark ?

@riziali - good you posted this here - BUT this comparison has been made in BSMOTORING DEC issue i think.

i wonder whether this is really the case of just a planned marketing stunt to promote the A-STAR as a worthy successor to the ZEN

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 1143040)

oh comon - please DONT open the PANDORA'S box again :Frustrati

Indeed the A Star looks like the spiritual sucessor to the Zen (if you discount the Swift that is). The A Star is a newer generation Alto and Maruti should have named this car the Zen, instead of the Estilo. Wouldnt have done any harm to the Estilo :), but would have helped the A Star for sure.

I do believe in the two being similar as both are fun to drive and low on space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt (Post 1143163)
Indeed the A Star looks like the spiritual sucessor to the Zen (if you discount the Swift that is). The A Star is a newer generation Alto and Maruti should have named this car the Zen, instead of the Estilo. Wouldnt have done any harm to the Estilo :), but would have helped the A Star for sure.

Wrong! A-star is a crap compared to old zen. Wow, such a smooth & free revving engine, this car can put best of the zippers off the blocks :)

Everything (except the engine)for A-star has been designed by Indian engineers. MUL hadn't thought of such a flop show from Estilo, now they can't use the name ZEN w/out discontinuing ESTILO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by riziali (Post 1142609)

Zen ( Lx/Lxi)
wheel base 1190

Pl get your facts right! :Shockked:
Nakal ki liye akal chhayie

the first post states that the zen has a turning radius of 3.9m? That is even better than the 800...

i think the swift is the spiritual sucessor of the zen, despite being a bigger car.