Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2009, 11:37   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
For me it is 7 seater 2+3+2 is the best as the space is well adjusted.
But on the 8 seater, what I found great was that:

1. You can remove the last row of seats in a jiffy - in the 7 seater, you need a toolkit
2. The middle bench slides and reclines - in the 7, its fixed - no sliding and no reclinement

Now?
Old 31st March 2009, 11:52   #257
BHPian

In a 7 seater the though the middle row is fixed the leg room is the best. As the last 2 seats are side facing either one or both can be put up and used for luggage.

In the 8 seater as it is the 3rd row is only for kids with very less legroom. And if i have to adjust the second row to increase the 3rd row legroom I end up reducing the 2nd row legroom. What ever adjustments you do 8 adults is it possible?
Old 31st March 2009, 11:54   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
MHawk 4WD is already out dude...I am seriously contemplating upping my reserve price by another lakh and going for it...BUT...I am wondering if I am really going to do that Himalayan odyssey every year to warrant a 4wd on my basic daily car.
Redliner, based on your input I checked again with the local Hyd dealer - they recited the same line again - non-mhawk 4wd available but mhawk 4wd not yet out. Are you sure about it?
Incidentally, a big SUV without 4wd - no fun, mate!
Old 31st March 2009, 11:58   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
In a 7 seater the though the middle row is fixed the leg room is the best. As the last 2 seats are side facing either one or both can be put up and used for luggage.

In the 8 seater as it is the 3rd row is only for kids with very less legroom. And if i have to adjust the second row to increase the 3rd row legroom I end up reducing the 2nd row legroom. What ever adjustments you do 8 adults is it possible?
I will NEVER ever throw 8 adults in the car. The maximum I will be slotting in 5 - 2 upfront and three on the middle bench. Now? Remember reclining + sliding option on the 8 seater.
Old 31st March 2009, 12:03   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now? Remember reclining + sliding option on the 8 seater.
You'll never get to use the tailgate! Why pay for such accessories?!
Old 31st March 2009, 12:09   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Tailgate? How will I use it? What are you talking about?
Old 31st March 2009, 12:22   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tailgate? How will I use it? What are you talking about?
In the 8 seater everyone boards from the side doors. The tailgate becomes almost redundant, as there is no baggage space to speak of.
Old 31st March 2009, 13:51   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

But the tailgate can be opened - Yes? I saw that happening on a demo vehicle. Plus, in my case, I intend to do away with the last bench altogether and slide the middle bench back a little more - and add an ICE in the back. Since I will not be using the rear tailgate too often, I will just plonk the spare tyre on the tailgate and lock it up. Looks better IMO.
Old 31st March 2009, 14:10   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will just plonk the spare tyre on the tailgate and lock it up. Looks better IMO.
Of course, the classic SUV look. But it might induce rattles in the tailgate. Those hinges are probably not designed to take that kind of load under dynamic conditions.
Old 31st March 2009, 14:17   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Of course, the classic SUV look. But it might induce rattles in the tailgate. Those hinges are probably not designed to take that kind of load under dynamic conditions.
Thats an interesting point. Has anyone here done this and experienced rattles? I believe the rattle bit.
Old 31st March 2009, 14:27   #266
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats an interesting point. Has anyone here done this and experienced rattles? I believe the rattle bit.
The Safari Tailgate door is prone to rattels just because of the Tyre mounted on it, though they have designed the door to take the load. The Scorpio would face the same fate.
Old 31st March 2009, 16:09   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Redliner, based on your input I checked again with the local Hyd dealer - they recited the same line again - non-mhawk 4wd available but mhawk 4wd not yet out. Are you sure about it?
Incidentally, a big SUV without 4wd - no fun, mate!
Try to contact your Mahindra regional sales manager directly. The pictures of the new look Scorpio that Param posted when the advertisement was being made in the middle east is definitely a 4WD version. He had the pictures of the switches for the transfer case. Dealers in metros hardly sell any 4WD vehicles and they may prefer a quick sale of a 2WD vehicle rather than go through the hazzle of checking with Mahindra and ordering one etc....
Old 31st March 2009, 16:33   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Try to contact your Mahindra regional sales manager directly. The pictures of the new look Scorpio that Param posted when the advertisement was being made in the middle east is definitely a 4WD version. He had the pictures of the switches for the transfer case. Dealers in metros hardly sell any 4WD vehicles and they may prefer a quick sale of a 2WD vehicle rather than go through the hazzle of checking with Mahindra and ordering one etc....
Have a look at the brochure as well - download it off their website and where you see the technical specs, they mention specific points for the 4wd version. MHawk 4wd is available, and Sireesh motors in Bangalore has confirmed delivery in 1 month.

That said, I am not comfortable being the guinea pig for the 4wd version of this engine. No way jose. Indian manufacturers are not yet up there in terms of mating these new blown CRDE powerplants with a quality 4wd mechanism. Plus, the 4wd variant's extended warranty get hammered. Bah, I just got myself a Willy's 4wd man.
Old 31st March 2009, 18:23   #269
Senior - BHPian

since you dont want to seat more than 5 adults, i would recommend the 8 seater. but mind you, if at all you need to use the boot for anybody, the legroom in the third row seat is next to nothing.
Old 31st March 2009, 18:49   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
That said, I am not comfortable being the guinea pig for the 4wd version of this engine. No way jose. Indian manufacturers are not yet up there in terms of mating these new blown CRDE powerplants with a quality 4wd mechanism. Plus, the 4wd variant's extended warranty get hammered. Bah, I just got myself a Willy's 4wd man.
I don't think you need to worry about this. There is no rocket science to this. The 2.2 has proven itself on the V range of vehicles and the transmission is the same on both models. The only difference is the transfer case and the front diffs. These remain unchanged from the earlier models. I don't expect any issues with being a guniea pig etc and feel fully confident about getting one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks