Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2009, 18:52   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

I was contemplating it...now I am wondering if its worth the wait of a month and another lakh for this. I know its worth it...but if I have to end up waiting for another month I think I will end up eating my hair. Plus, I am really thinking hard on how much I will use the 4wd - especially like I said, I dont think I am going to find the time to go to exotic locations offroad. Lot of introspection.

Last edited by Red Liner : 31st March 2009 at 19:04.
Old 31st March 2009, 18:55   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I don't think you need to worry about this. ........
Would it help if I said I agree fully with what 4X4addict has said?
I'm using the 2.6 CRDe 4WD and have had near zero problems with it in 31 months of ownership.
Old 31st March 2009, 19:50   #273
Senior - BHPian

I would agree with Raj, the last row is best removed and used as a boot space. The last row (front facing) can at best accomodate kids .

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
since you dont want to seat more than 5 adults, i would recommend the 8 seater. but mind you, if at all you need to use the boot for anybody, the legroom in the third row seat is next to nothing.
Old 31st March 2009, 20:15   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I was contemplating it...now I am wondering if its worth the wait of a month and another lakh for this. I know its worth it...but if I have to end up waiting for another month I think I will end up eating my hair. Plus, I am really thinking hard on how much I will use the 4wd - especially like I said, I dont think I am going to find the time to go to exotic locations offroad. Lot of introspection.
Now that the Gods have spoken (I meant Anup and 4x4), you do need to introspect.
Just personal experience, till I didnt have Jeep Wrangler Unlimited abroad, I was thinking the same - when and where will I use it. Then once it came, magically pathways, sand dunes, dust bowls, ditches appeared to experiment and use it. What the heck, I even took the Honda Pilot 4WD on all sort of no-go areas and had great fun!
Old 31st March 2009, 20:43   #275
Senior - BHPian

LOL, adzegeek, the municipality had dug up a sewage main right outside the gate of my house, done some repair and filled up the trench with loose soil (as in earth, not turds, LOL!).
It rained at night and next morning my 4X2 Landmaster was stuck right outside the gate with her derriere not even fully out of the premises! I promised myself I'll always use a 4X4 in future in our great capital!
Old 31st March 2009, 21:15   #276
BHPian

Funny that you mention it anup, when i used to work in NCR in my previous life, the Merc which was carrying our most prestigious client got stuck in loose gravel and earth next to the Greater noida expressway. Poor guy had to push it himself ;-) otherwise would have missed his flight.

That day, my company decided to get Safaris 4x4 and it never got stuck anywhere .... except on perfectly normal paved roads
Old 1st April 2009, 22:33   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
For me it is 7 seater 2+3+2 is the best as the space is well adjusted.
Is is possible to convert as 2 + 2 + 3 or 2+ 2+2 ? The middle row with two seater's and arm rests?
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:01   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Is is possible to convert as 2 + 2 + 3 or 2+ 2+2 ? The middle row with two seater's and arm rests?
I guess it would be possible to have middle row as captain seats.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:37   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Buying the top end scorpio entitles you to Captain seats. You can even buy the SLE or the LX version and plonk those seats directly as like a factory fitment.
Old 7th April 2009, 15:48   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I would agree with Raj, the last row is best removed and used as a boot space. The last row (front facing) can at best accomodate kids .
Is there a safety issue if we have kids sitting on the last row of the Scorpio? I mean to say if there is a collision from behind are the kids in the last row most susceptable to injuries? Do we have rear/back bull guards or similar available for the Scorpio.
Thank you in advance for your valuable inputs.
Old 7th April 2009, 19:11   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionrider View Post
Is there a safety issue if we have kids sitting on the last row of the Scorpio? I mean to say if there is a collision from behind are the kids in the last row most susceptable to injuries? Do we have rear/back bull guards or similar available for the Scorpio.
Bull bars don't protect you from collisions. The mount points will shear away on impact. They are not meant to absorb an impact like bumpers are. They are primarily for looks and to be a first line of defence against autorikshaws, etc. In off-road vehicles, they help against damage to the front from branches etc..

Regarding the safety issue, yes there is a potential problem with third row vehicles since there is less body to absorb a high speed rear end collision. But you have to look at the odds of a high speed rear end collision. In my view most of the high speed collisions are like to be on the front end or the sides. For the rear to be hit at high speeds you have to be parked at the side of a highway or something and another vehicle would have to drive into to you from the rear end.
Old 7th April 2009, 19:18   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes, there is a safety issue but high speed collision from the rear is a rare thing to happen. and this is true in every other vehicle like innova, xylo, safari, tavera, etc. also, the boot does not have crumple zones, so chances of getting hurt are more. but as i said before, there is nothing to worry as the scorpio's boot door easily takes low speed impacts without affecting the passengers and high speed impact wont happen unless and until you do something crazy !!!
Old 7th April 2009, 19:26   #283
Senior - BHPian

You have a point, but in a high speed rear end collision even the bull bar will not be of any help as the rear bar would be at the bumper level and in the event of an impact by a truck with an external engine the thrust would be on the rear door and the lack of boot space / crumple zone is bound to have serious safety implications specially for the rear row passengers.

The same is true for most of the hatchbacks and SUV's.

Quote:

Last edited by m_upreti : 7th April 2009 at 19:31.
Old 8th April 2009, 10:58   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Buying the top end scorpio entitles you to Captain seats. You can even buy the SLE or the LX version and plonk those seats directly as like a factory fitment.
Yes, I found the top variant has three different seating options including Captain seats in 7 seater. It has one 8 seater and 7 seater with side facing rear seats.
Old 8th April 2009, 11:33   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
yes, there is a safety issue but high speed collision from the rear is a rare thing to happen. and high speed impact wont happen unless and until you do something crazy !!!
You don't need to do anything crazy. On a highway, if you have an emergency braking situation (can happen very often on our highways) & you have a truck or something behind you & he cannot (God forbid) stop in time, that's the end of your vehicle's rear.

Happened just last week to a group of our senior office colleagues on their way back to Mumbai from Bhuj. They were in an Endeavour, cow jumped across the road, driver braked hard but hit the cow nevertheless. Truck coming behind them rammed into them at high speed. Guys were lucky to be alive. The cow wasn't so lucky.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks