Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2009, 01:07   #76
Senior - BHPian

Toyota to Launch The Big Daddy(LC 200) in June

Toyota will formally launch its big SUV, the Land Cruiser in June 2009.

The big daddy of all SUVs is finally making its way to India - Toyota will be launching the Land Cruiser earlier than you might think! Come June 2009 and interested buyers will be able to drive home from Toyota showrooms across the country in what is regarded as one of the best SUVs ever made.
Though details are still sketchy, the Land Cruiser will be brought to India as a CBU and will be priced close to Rs 80 lakh - pitching it bang against quite an eloquent German competition. Under the hood is most likely going to be the 4.5 litre V8 diesel engine that Toyota has on sale abroad. The monster of an oil burner is good for 286PS @ 3600rpm. If you think that's a big number, wait till the 650Nm of torque kicks in at 1600rpm all the way through to 2800rpm! Coupled with a 6-speed automatic gearbox and 4 wheel drive, the 4461cc twin-turbo equipped diesel mill can propel the 2555kg Land Cruiser to 100 km/h in a claimed 8.2 seconds.
Also in Toyota's international Land Cruiser arsenal is a massive 5.7 litre DOHC VVT-I V8 petrol engine capable of close to 400 PS of power. Sadly, Toyota might not be getting this powerplant to India when it takes the wraps off the Land Cruiser in June 2009. Following closely on the Land Cruiser's heels will be another SUV, albeit smaller - the Fortuner which should be launched sometime in August this year.

Source:zigwheels
Toyota Land Cruiser to be launched in June!- News- Zigwheels

To mods : please close so if similar thread exists.
Old 9th May 2009, 01:26   #77
Senior - BHPian

That's great news. Finally the best SUV in the world (IMO) to be sold directly in India.
Another launch date for the fortuner ?

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 9th May 2009 at 01:28.
Old 9th May 2009, 08:44   #78
BHPian

Great news! IMHO, the LC200 in Diesel guise shall not only compete with Q7 and X5, but also eat into S class and 7 series sales, at least in markets like Kerala. It is perhaps the best vehicle in the 70lac- 1crore category in terms of practicality, comfort, build, and easy maintenance. Its forerunner, the 100-101 series was an excellent vehicle, and the 200 series builds upon that. I have driven it and it would be my choice if I were shopping in that price band. The only slightly worrying thing is tat the 200 series has some complicated electronics compared to 100 series, but since Toyota is selling it via official dealer channel, that angle is also covered. Wonder what took Toyota this long, though.

[BTW, this news was seen first on Vickys, and I had mentioned it in the "New Launches 2009" thread earlier.]
Old 9th May 2009, 10:29   #79
BHPian

80 lakhs is too much, even for the landcruiser!it's a toyota...
Old 9th May 2009, 10:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

80 lakhs is too much. No one would buy an 80 lakh rupee car for offroading, but for status. I cant see how Toyota can take the might of the german big three.
Old 9th May 2009, 11:22   #81
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Toyota will formally launch its big SUV, the Land Cruiser in June 2009.
Bring the beast on, Toyota! It's about time.

Quote:
Sadly, Toyota might not be getting this powerplant to India
Has zigwheels gone nuts? Nothing sad in skipping the petrol. Big SUV = Diesel! The 5.7 petrol will hardly give 2 kpl in the city, and limit the beasts range on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Great news! IMHO, the LC200 in Diesel guise shall not only compete with Q7 and X5, but also eat into S class and 7 series sales, at least in markets like Kerala. It is perhaps the best vehicle in the 70lac- 1crore category in terms of practicality, comfort, build, and easy maintenance.
Said it like it is. The LC has its own following; till date, the only deterrent was buying an LC from the grey market. The DRI has taken a fancy for LC's and seems to be confiscating every LC that they can find (Fardeen Khans being the latest).

No such worries with an official import.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Don't underestimate the brand loyalty / aspirational value attached to the Landcruiser. I'd say, realistically, it will be in the 70 lakh range. In many countries, the Landcruiser is priced bang across the S-Class. No different in India then.
Old 9th May 2009, 12:03   #82
Senior - BHPian

If i had 80 lakhs to spend i would definately get the LC. Once you live with it for a couple of days you get hooked. The most practical luxury vehicle for India.
Old 9th May 2009, 12:14   #83
Senior - BHPian

The LC is by far the most reliable suv in the world. And now it also is the best premium offroading suv in the world in its class. It packs unmatched reliability with all the features that one can expect from any top end luxury sedan.
Howevr 80 lakhs is a total rip off. Thanks to the stupid import duties.
Most people buying this LC will only use it as a poser. I doubt there qill be many who will bother taking it offroad. What a pity - crawl control et al.
Old 9th May 2009, 12:29   #84
Senior - BHPian

80 lakhs maybe a bit high.. But then it has all the luxuries you would want for that price. Sometimes called the 8 seater camry with best in class offroad abilities! Its a perennial favourite in the middle east. Whoever has gone dune bashing in Dubai would know. Add to that the brilliant toyota reliability, it might just smoke the german biggies out of India. Considering the fact that you don't have to worry about ground clearance, bad roads etc., it has the potential to be the best your money can get for 80l in India.
Old 9th May 2009, 12:32   #85
Senior - BHPian

finally! the big daddy of toyota's is making it's way to india
Event at 80L it will have plenty of takers.

cheers
Old 9th May 2009, 13:51   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
why not when they Own the Lexus brand and are capable of and produce one of the most hi tech and sophisticated vehicles.
the LC has been loved world over and has a very very good image in India as most film stars own one and so do many politicians.

Land cruisers reliability is so high that The United nations has bought over 12000 land cruisers in the past 5 years.
even Fifth gear quoted that The Land cruiser is an anywhere go vehicle and even bullets cannot stop it
+ arabs absolutely love the vehicle and prefer it over range rovers and the hummers.

I remember in one of the other threads that the people who do a lot of dessert offroading prefer LC's over Hummers and Range Rovers as their ECU gets fried due to the scorching heat.
even a million words cannot describe my love for the Land cruiser
Old 9th May 2009, 15:33   #87
BHPian

I don't know...for that money, I'd rather have an X5 or a Q7...But then again, I'm not much of an off-roader.

I'm really curious to see how the LC will do amidst such strong competition in that price bracket..
Old 9th May 2009, 22:57   #88
BHPian

ok so i know. but if they price LC at 80 lac. then what will be the price of the Lexus LX 470 when they launch it here. as part of Lexus brand.

i think these are the same cars but lexus suv is more luxurious and has generous goodies. (am i right)?
Old 10th May 2009, 20:17   #89
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The respect the LC commands worldwide is not on account of any appeal as a luxury SUV. It has been, it is, and will always remain the finest workhorse money can buy. No other SUV can do hard labour reliably, without ever letting you doing over and over for years as the LC does. If someone pointed me into the world's most hostile environment and asked me to choose one vehicle to depend on for the journey, it will always be the LC. Its only when you use that car daily that you begin to be awed by its sheer depth and range of abilities.

Its a pity our duty structure for CBU makes it so expensive. I hope Toyota does the CKD route for this car and bring it in sub 60 lacs, ideally around 50-55
Old 9th June 2009, 15:10   #90
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Land Cruise Diesel Launched! Shock Pricing!

Toyota has launched the Land Cruiser Diesel in India with a 4.5 Litre twin turbo diesel generating 282 bhp and 66 kgm of torque at barely idle, 1600 rpm!
All this aside, the top spec model has been priced at an unbelievable Rs 83.1 Lakhs while the lower spec model comes for Rs. 81.64 Lakhs which gives a new dimension to being overpriced.

Frankly I dont see anyone in his right mind to choose a Toyota over Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes M-Class, BMW X5 and the Audi Q7 and the recently launched Q5, no matter how good it is offroad.
How many people would take their almost 1 crore rupee car for an offroad excursion?

Shocking pricing... Toyota shouldnt have launched it at all!

Source: cubic capacity

Last edited by extreme_torque : 9th June 2009 at 15:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks