Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 16:29   #106
D-Man

their best pricing has always been on the boring corolla. who would have thought some of the nice wheels like supras, celicas were once manufactured by them. LC is a waste no one is buying these gas guzzlers. More over they have always been over priced in SUV section. Think what they did to Highlander!

Old 9th June 2009, 16:37   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Fortuner should be 20L plus for sure. I won't be surprised if they tag it at 25L. How many they'll sell is another question.
Going by CRV Prices, they will price it in the 26-27L ex-showroom range, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Considering the LC200 is a CBU, and even the petrol version costs around US$70,000 C&F from Japan, I don't think Toyota's pricing is high. And it comes fully equipped, with very few options to jack up its base price by another 50% unlike the Q7 which is the only comparable vehicle . Further, the Diesel version you'll have to get from Australia, South Africa or the UK, as it is not sold in Japan. And, it's not a showcase vehicle- you can use it everyday and clock high mileages like the S Class, unlike some other SUV's in its price bracket. And maintenance & service should be a breeze.

Hope Mercedes will bring in the GL soon!
Dude, the LC in Dubai cost my cousin 145,000 Dirhams ex-showroom, don't know the specs but it comes to approximately 18.5L. I doubt there will be buyers for this car. Get a Land Rover for 40-45L like someone mentioned or get a diesel stonker Cayenne for 65L. Totally messed up by Toyota i dare say.
Old 9th June 2009, 17:05   #108
BHPian

Why would I spend 83L on something that is so common? I can get the cayenne with the Porsche named attached to it(brand brand brand) and I'm sure it's going to turn many more heads than a toyota. Not to forget the money I save! Also isn't the FE higher in the cayenne, not that it matters at that price but hey

Indians don't off road with something so expensive. We only use it to show off and I hate to say it but the LC is getting boring with every rich person having one.

Last edited by Gagan.js : 9th June 2009 at 17:07.
Old 9th June 2009, 17:13   #109
Senior - BHPian

crazy pricing from toyota India continues. Since they have been hammered to gain some market share in India, they are doing new launches but without doing any study.

Bringing LC as CBU - Why cant they just do CKD for the timebeing and reduce the costs ? Camry still is coming as CBU. Fortuner coming as CKD at 20L Ex Showroom -- Though it still is costly comparing to thai pricing.

Seems they are more than content with Corolla + Innova sales - dont even think of launching an AT version of Innova. Cant think of Toyota as a company being so lethargic for Indian market.
Old 9th June 2009, 17:14   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota is not looking for volumes here. The pricing is high in comparison to the German marquees, but we must bare in mind that the brand image of "Landcruiser" is far bigger/superior than "Toyota". Buyers of this car would probably already own a premium german sedan and pick landcruiser as their ultimate SUV.
Old 9th June 2009, 17:16   #111
Senior - BHPian

No doubt this car is quite nice. Autoblog tested it alongside other SUV and its proven that LandCruiser remains the ultimate offroader. The underpinnings are excellent and apart from being improved in off roading, the on road performance is also well mannered as compared to earlier models. Its the ultimate car I would say. Strong, reliable and everthing one can ask for.

But then in India Rs. 80 lakh is too high a price. This is extreme luxury segment that includes S-class too. Those who just want class will go for S-Class. Those who want luxury SUV have access to luxury brands SUV, namely M-Class, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne and BMW X5. Who would then go for Toyota brand ? None of the above manufacturers have cars priced below Rs. 20 lakh. They are well known luxury brands all over the world where Toyota is ocnsidered a regular manufacturer like what Maruti is in India.

Landcruiser does have advantage of having a V8 diesel, but then the weight is also 2.5 ton, as much as Audi Q7. Audi has brand image here and it can be seen that Q7 is doing relatively well. I am able to spot Cayenne and Q7 in my city which is not very big. Speaks volumes about the luxury image.

Even if this car is lexus the price tag of Rs. 80 lakh is not justified at all. Not more than Rs. 60 lakh, may be Rs. 65 lakh, but then thats it.

A very capable machine spoiled by Toyota's now ridiculious strategy.
Old 9th June 2009, 17:17   #112
Senior - BHPian

I guess the price is a fair conversion of the dollar price and CBU Import costs added. But then it does appear high in comparison to the competition (around 150k USD it would come for CBU inclusive of import duties etc.). I'm not so sure if the Total cost of ownership would be lesser for a Toyota in comparison to Porshce, BMW or Audi (remember reading a 1.5 lakh rupees worth rear view mirror on a Q7!)
Old 9th June 2009, 17:18   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
I think they are banking/targeting on rich people looking for the 'exclusive' vehicle.
How exclusive is a LC when taliban and bedouins use it ?
Old 9th June 2009, 17:21   #114
Senior - BHPian

It may be the ultimate offroader but that doesnt really matter in the overall scheme of things. No matter how goo, its still has a Toyota badge which stands nowhere comparred to Germans.
As far as capability goes, Cayenne for me is more capable, lightyears ahead on the road, on par if not better off it. After all how many SUV have you seen that can drift on a track!
Old 9th June 2009, 18:31   #115
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Ouch. They probably want to make the Cayenne, X5, Q7, ML look like poor man's SUVs ! And it's not even a Lexus.
The Landcruiser is priced on par with the S Class in the United States. Now, in India, the S Class retails for in the region of 80 lakhs....same as the Landcruiser.

I don't think it's overpriced for a CBU. But yet, Toyota ought to build it here and get the rate down to 60ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
No matter how goo, its still has a Toyota badge which stands nowhere comparred to Germans.
The Landcruiser has a massive fan following, yours truly included. And they will pick the Landcruiser over a Cayenne or Q7.

Quote:
As far as capability goes, Cayenne for me is more capable, lightyears ahead on the road, on par if not better off it.
On the road, Cayenne is superior. However, off the road, fat chance. Plus, the inherent appeal of a Landcruiser is in its unreal reliabilility & durability.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:31   #116
Senior - BHPian

actually a good move by toyota to curb the gray market imports.
I read some company charging close to 1.1 crores for a LC.. i think it was magnus motors.
Now it comes with official support although toyota dealers never had a problem servicing imports which were not available in india.
but 83 lacs i think they went slightly overboard with the pricing.
if has to sell here have to change to the ckd route which wont be happening atleast till the next model change im guessing.
Its pointless here people ,lifting fingers on the capability of this vehicle. It has been tried and tested Everywhere.Id say there surely will be a dip in the sales of the S and the 7.
cayenne is just more of a sporty suv which goes "crazy fast" atleast for an suv.
But for offroading i dare wouldn't take a cayenne for rock climbing. On the other thread i read the cayenne exhaust setup if damaged costing more than 2 lacs(i think).You would want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere do you? Not that im questioning the reliability of the germans but there are exceptions with electronics etc messing up.
Sure they look very very attractive on paper but those features will be tested only in real world situations.. for example transporting supply's through a war zone .

Man the toyota india website sucks.. They need to make the interface somewhat like the american or even the thai website which imo is much better.

Last edited by vinaydas : 9th June 2009 at 18:43.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:38   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Plus, the inherent appeal of a Landcruiser is in its unreal reliabilility & durability.
+1

You really need to use the landcruiser to love it. I read somwhere that brake pads of the LC cost about 3500 bucks. Thats damn cheap. I am sure the spares also will not be expensive compared to the audis bmws porches etc. (just in case something does go wrong)
Old 9th June 2009, 18:40   #118
Senior - BHPian

83 lakhs...for a TLC..Toyota will get it all wrong,if they price it so high.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:44   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On the road, Cayenne is superior. However, off the road, fat chance. Plus, the inherent appeal of a Landcruiser is in its unreal reliabilility & durability.
Just 'superior' is an understatement. As far as durability and toughness goes, Clarkson in his own words, thrashed Cayenne like there is no tomorrow on a tank proving ground and all that fell after a day's thrashing was a wheel weight!
Cayenne has the same offroad kit as the Land Cruiser and the some. I know it has a reputation but Porsche pull is hard to resist especially when its considerably cheaper and a better vehicle overall.
No LC for me atleast, I will be happy with a Cayenne Diesel.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 9th June 2009 at 18:45.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:45   #120
Senior - BHPian

btw is the pricing ex showroom or on road. If ex the price onroad especially in high tax area's like Bangalore and mumbai will touch 90-95.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks