Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 11:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

I read the article as well. I just wish they planned to get the FJ instead of LC. It would have been lot more affordable.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:02   #17
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I read the article as well. I just wish they planned to get the FJ instead of LC. It would have been lot more affordable.
Two issues that make that difficult, firstly its apparently only made in LHD and secondly its a 2 dr vehicle. Only diehard offroaders would want the car.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Two issues that make that difficult, firstly its apparently only made in LHD and secondly its a 2 dr vehicle. Only diehard offroaders would want the car.
Agree with you about the LHD part.

Actually, it has suicide doors so getting the back seat ain't that difficult (see the pic below). Besides, if Toyota could import FJ to India it would be priced at 25 odd lakhs which IMO implies that utility aspect of car would probably be less important.

ALL RISE! Toyota Landcruiser coming to India EDIT: Launched at 81 lakhs-image7.jpg

Note to Mods: I used google to get the image. i didn't find any copyrights associated with it so took the liberty of using the image.

Last edited by hondadude : 29th January 2009 at 11:12.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:19   #19
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Actually, it has suicide doors so getting the back seat ain't that difficult (see the pic below).
Thanks for clarifying. I never saw a picture showing this unique feature. You are right, it appears easy to access the rear seats without folding the front ones. Now if only its made available in RHD, then surely they will atleast offer it on order.

Last edited by DKG : 29th January 2009 at 11:21.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:21   #20
BHPian

Typically, the LC retails for about 50% to 55% more than the Prado and since the Prado is a CBU at 40L, a price point for the LC at around 65L seems feasible.

This would be decent pricing as there are plenty of people who can afford an E-Class or a 5 Series but would rather not buy a luxo-barge and pick up a LC instead because:

1) Toyota badge attracts less attention than a Merc or BMW.
2) Service needs and costs in smaller towns and B-Cities.
3) The ability to seat larger families than a saloon.
4) Can handle crappier roads better than the lower sedans.
5) Better resale in the long run.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:34   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
6) Supreme reliability compared to the Euros.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:39   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
there are plenty of people who can afford an E-Class or a 5 Series but would rather not buy a luxo-barge and pick up a LC instead because:

This is a very vital point you have raised. World over luxury sedans had started losing a small portion of their sales to SUV's (which explains the flurry of SUVs such as X5's, Q7's, Cayennes and Toureg). Here in India it definitely makes sense to have an SUV given our road conditions.

Infact I remember when I was considering the TLC I could have afforded the 5 series but opted for the LC and never regretted it on account of the whole new world that opened up. Not to mention the phenomenal comfort they afford.

Perhaps not as much in Merc and BMW's case but if I am not mistaken its the Q7's, Cayennes and Toureg that have given Audi Porsche and VW more bread than their sedans

Last edited by DKG : 29th January 2009 at 11:42.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:48   #23
BHPian

You are quite right - DKG. In a smaller industrial town like Jamshedpur, there are plenty of businessmen who can buy cars and SUVs such as the E, 5er, Cayennes, Q7's but do not becuase of:

1) Pathetic Road Conditions while driving out to their factories / ancilliaries in the outskirts.
2) The attention that luxury marques would attract. And I mean the wrong kind of attention - Taxmen, Mafia, Naxals etc.

With an option such as the LC, the can get to enjoy creature comforts and spend some of their hard earned money without fear of ramifications.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:58   #24
BHPian

Great news indeed. Alas I have booked my Touareg already. About the pricing however I guess it should be north of 65+ lakhs considering it would be a CBU. It makes a lot of sense to buy LC over premium brands esp in Tier-2/3 cities. So concur to all the points made earlier in this regard.

Perhaps 3 years down the line after touareg, this would be my next SUV (If at all we have LC here by then)
Old 29th January 2009, 11:59   #25
BHPian

Has anyone taken into account its FE? 3 per litre?
Old 29th January 2009, 12:00   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The Toyota badge by itself might not have the snob value. But the Landcruiser badge commands a lot of respect! Remember in India, the size of the car adds a lot to it's image, the bigger the better.
If anything the LC would attract a lot more attension than an E class in cities like Mumbai.
Old 29th January 2009, 12:12   #27
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The Toyota badge by itself might not have the snob value. But the Landcruiser badge commands a lot of respect!
In case of the LC I suspect people, be it politicians or businessmen with factories in rural areas, will opt for this car purely on grounds of the supreme comfort of its ride and its outstanding reliability. No other SUV is as comfy at high speeds on rough roads and feels like it was hewn from one piece. I doubt it would compete on the snob value factor. I reckon the Q7 will still rule on that front.
Old 29th January 2009, 12:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

I think at Rs. 62 to 78 lacs the Q7 is a much better aletrnative to LC unless they price it keenly for India judging by the 95 lacs for the LC if imported privately I think it is going to diffcult for Toyota to price it down as the same guys who import the LC now at 95 Lacs have offered me Q7 at almost the same price (Rs. 62 to 78 lacs) that Audi India is offering it at. But for the great recall LC has in india I don't see any value much rather go for the Q7 and save some money
Old 29th January 2009, 12:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Any idea how much BMW X3 & X5 cost in India?
Old 29th January 2009, 12:20   #30
BHPian

Can someone please confirm what is the timeline of probable launch (someone on this forum knowing the inside story). If it is say 5-6 months, I'm seriously thinking to cancel the Touareg order and go for this. What say guys ..

V8 diesel and Toyota reliability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks