Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 12:21   #31
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I don't see any value much rather go for the Q7 and save some money
The LC is a traditional body on ladder frame chassis designed for harsh offroad environments (atleast been so traditionally, not checked the specs on the latest one yet). The Q7 is more of a tarmac SUV with limited offroad capability

Then you have the issue of the lower costs of maintenance. My friend who runs a Toureg and now has the LC was shocked to find a set of brake pads cost him only Rs 3500/-

Lastly I feel the LC will hold its value a lot better than an Audi making it the preferred choice for someone who attaches importance to the over all cost of ownership

You also have a wider network of Toyota dealers in the districts as compared to the Audi network who are non existent in such areas.

The Q7 does win in terms of the overall appeal and style. More of the bling factor

The LC is a workhorse, the Q7 is a style statement/accessory. The Q7 you fall in love with and buy, the LC you buy and fall in love with for life!!

Last edited by DKG : 29th January 2009 at 12:30.
Old 29th January 2009, 12:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Can someone please confirm what is the timeline of probable launch (someone on this forum knowing the inside story). If it is say 5-6 months, I'm seriously thinking to cancel the Touareg order and go for this. What say guys ..

V8 diesel and Toyota reliability.
I would stick with the Touareg if i was you entropy. Atleast i know when my car is coming home. Waiting for Toyota to bring these cars in, i would guess you would have saved enough money to buy a Ferrari or a Rolls.

I had a word with the guys at toyota and they mentioned it is going to be the LandCruiser Prado that is coming with a Diesel heart and not the original LC. Many here miss that the Prado also is called the Land Cruiser in India. He also mentioned that the Fortuner would be Launched soon. I really dont get Toyota here. They dont stick by dates and just say soon. The Prado in Diesel would be a boon too, as the petrol one is fantastic except for the F.E. it returns.
Old 29th January 2009, 13:19   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Can someone please confirm what is the timeline of probable launch (someone on this forum knowing the inside story). If it is say 5-6 months, I'm seriously thinking to cancel the Touareg order and go for this. What say guys ..

V8 diesel and Toyota reliability.
Don't confuse yourself further, you have made a great choice already. Toyota's timeline is anyones guess ! They never stick by anything, besides the LC will be much more expensive too.
Old 29th January 2009, 14:28   #34
BHPian

Thanks Sahil, speedy.

If it is LC Prado in diesel, then sure I'm out. However new LC V8 seems to be worth spending several lakhs more. Anyway, since timeline is not yet certain I'm going ahead with my current choice. At least this car Touareg I have experienced in person and know the approx time when I should be getting it (April End) as speedy mentioned.

My evil hope is that Toyota doesn't launches this just after I get my Touareg
Old 29th January 2009, 14:33   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

OT but related : The Mitsubishi Montero is a phenomenal SUV as well. It has the looks, reliability, heritage, offroadability, torquey diesel, impressive equipment level and balanced ride & handling combo. Yup, I am a self-confessed fan of the Montero.

Our only grudge so far? That it's woefully overpriced right? It was over-priced @ 36 lakhs (OTR Mumbai) in 2006. And then, HM raised the price to 41 lakhs (once the common-rail came in) in 2007. Guess what. While everyone from Mercedes to BMW is offering discounts, keeping the staid economic conditions in mind, the HM numbskulls raise prices again. The Monteros price as of today : 47.54 lakhs

I think the Montero department is receiving a monthly packet from the good ol' Prado dudes.
Old 29th January 2009, 14:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
. While everyone from Mercedes to BMW is offering discounts, keeping the staid economic conditions in mind, the HM numbskulls raise prices again. The Monteros price as of today : 47.54 lakhs
Someone had posted it on the Outlander thread. Mitsubishi has been increasing prices arbitly every month. The figures were mentioned for the Outlander.. what started at around 19L exshowroom quickly turned out to be something close to 21L in 1 month or so.
Old 29th January 2009, 17:17   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OT but related : The Mitsubishi Montero is a phenomenal SUV as well. It has the looks, reliability, heritage, offroadability, torquey diesel, impressive equipment level and balanced ride & handling combo. Yup, I am a self-confessed fan of the Montero.

Our only grudge so far? That it's woefully overpriced right? It was over-priced @ 36 lakhs (OTR Mumbai) in 2006. And then, HM raised the price to 41 lakhs (once the common-rail came in) in 2007. Guess what. While everyone from Mercedes to BMW is offering discounts, keeping the staid economic conditions in mind, the HM numbskulls raise prices again. The Monteros price as of today : 47.54 lakhs

I think the Montero department is receiving a monthly packet from the good ol' Prado dudes.
Thanks for the info. I was pondering over the idea of getting the Montero over the 5 series for a family member since they prefer an SUV. I felt stupid for getting almost convinced due to no choices available to put down 40 lakhs OTR max for the Montero(as thats what I thought the price was) But at close to 50, forget it ! I cant even begin to convince myself to pay that kind of money, I felt ripped off even at 40.
Old 29th January 2009, 17:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is not a purposeful SUV anymore but a glorified soccer-mom-wagon with all those skirts and stuff.

Looks - Good
Reliability - Good
Heritage - Lets not kid ourselves the only thing it shares with the Paris Dakkar version is the name.
Offroadability - Compromised of late with lower GC and plastic skirts all around.
Torquey Diesel - yes, but others provide better diesels
Impressive Equipment Levels - for that price, NO
Balanced Ride and Handling Combo - Errr...where did this come from?

As they say, there isnt much wrong with the Pajero as a vehicle except the owners expectation of it being the Paris Dakkar winner. And rear seat comfort.

Last edited by Steeroid : 29th January 2009 at 17:27.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:22   #39
BANNED

*Standing up in attention*
Honour! Honour! Honour!

A very welcome move by Toyota. If people can spend money on Biggies like M class, X5 and Q7, Land cruiser will be the class leader in it's segment.

Prado should definitely go out of fashion now. It's price should be dropped to 25L or so.

Regarding Camry going to be locally made is another great move. This was long pending. If it comes down to the Accord prices, I'm putting in my cheque now! This is one car I always want to own from last 12 years or more.

Seems like the japanese giant is slowly making it's moves appear in our country! Hail Toyota!

Guys! I'm a shameless Toyota fan. Bash me up.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:48   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
but a glorified soccer-mom-wagon with all those skirts and stuff.
What skirts? Plus, the body style of the currently sold 4th gen is 99% identical to the legendary 3rd gen (launched in '99). It is a mere facelift.

Quote:
Heritage - Lets not kid ourselves the only thing it shares with the Paris Dakkar version is the name.
The Pajero heritage, not necessarily the Paris Dakkar accomplishments. The Pajero badge has built itself a solid reputation over the last 4 decades....a reputation of a solid, reliable, go anywhere workhorse.

Quote:
Offroadability - Compromised of late with lower GC and plastic skirts all around.
Lower GC? C'mon. @ 225 mm, it is more than that of the Landcruiser 100 series.

What plastic skirts? Running boards? Sure. All SUVs have them, but they can be removed.

ALL RISE! Toyota Landcruiser coming to India EDIT: Launched at 81 lakhs-3wall800.jpg

The Pajero's superselect 4WD has rave reviews from forum'ers around the world. Plus, there is a diff lock too. I'd say the Pajero (Montero) can go to 9.9 of the 10 places a landcruiser 100 would go. But if you want to really go off-roading, take the older 80 series landcruiser which will kill them both.

Quote:
Torquey Diesel - yes, but others provide better diesels
Agreed. The Fortuner matches the power output of the new common-rail. That's not to say that 383 NM of torque or 165 horses are insufficient, but for the price (50 lakhs ), you'd surely want more.

Quote:
Impressive Equipment Levels - for that price, NO
Apart from the obvious lack of a sunroof, the Montero pretty much has it all. ABS, traction control, EBD, 6 airbags, 12 speaker 5.1 rockford sound system, full leather, Digital MID display (including compass etc. etc.) headlamp washers, Power seat + power lumbar, keyless entry, rear air-con, auto-dimming rear view mirror, seat heater, cruise control (pointless in the Indian context, I know) and more. It makes the 45 lakh Prado look naked. I'd say worth a 33 lakh tag, but no way in hell 50 lakh rupees!

Quote:
Balanced Ride and Handling Combo - Errr...where did this come from?
In line with my driving impressions posted elsewhere on the forum. The Montero has awesome ride quality. In fact, ever since the common-rail version came about, the suspension was softened a wee bit for ride. It has a bit more body roll than the previous one with the DI-D engine & stiffer suspension, but well-controlled and still very stable. Drive it, Steer. You will be impressed.

Quote:
And rear seat comfort.
Agreed. The middle benchers have room, though not the right posture.

Last edited by GTO : 29th January 2009 at 20:04.
Old 29th January 2009, 20:03   #41
BHPian

If people are seeking a true offroader, then may be TATA should do something about Land Rover.

Having grown up in Africa, i shall trust Land Rover anyday when it comes to offroading.
(have gotten stuck often in Land Cruiser and have seen others getting stuck too, Cruiser seems more like a status symbol)

Land Cruisers were more visible in the cities, but as you enter the Serengeti or Botswana national park, Land Rovers ruled the jungle, along with the Lions (simba).

Not dissing the Land Cruiser though. It is good.

Who knows, Land Rover may launch the Classic or Range Rover as a competition to Land Cruiser in India!

Regardless of what i said above, i doubt Land Cruiser will come to India anytime soon. (considering no-name unconfirmed sources)

Last edited by aerohit : 29th January 2009 at 20:04.
Old 29th January 2009, 22:14   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My bet is that it will be directly positioned against the Range Rover.

Instead of wasting time on the Camry, they should just leave that segment to Accord and localize the Prado and plonk in the 3.0L D4D engine.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 29th January 2009 at 22:16.
Old 29th January 2009, 22:44   #43
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
localize the Prado and plonk in the 3.0L D4D engine.
The Fortuner with the 3l diesel engine and 4x4 should be a terrific buy at under 25.
Old 29th January 2009, 23:16   #44
BHPian

Quote:
The Monteros price as of today : 47.54 lakhs
I am not sure if they updated the price later in the night. The OTR price as of now is Rs. 38.31 lakhs

May be they are preparing for LT
Old 29th January 2009, 23:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd say worth a 33 lakh tag, but no way in hell 50 lakh rupees!
50% more than its worth in this segment is stupid. Montero for the same price of a Tourag OTR ( difference of just about 5-6 laks OTR) is plain crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
My friend just bought the V8 diesel at 92 lakhs. I reckon it would be closer to 75 for the same if imported directly by Toyota
Why do you think so, I think the same model if brought in officially as CBU should cost more than through importers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks