Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2009, 00:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't the 4Runner be a better bet to bring to India. It might not have the same name draw as that of the LC, but then utility vs price at which it might be offered could be much better for Toyota in India. Or is it that, Fortuner, if launched, might clash with it.

Last edited by 1100D : 30th January 2009 at 00:31.
Old 30th January 2009, 01:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Wouldn't the 4Runner be a better bet to bring to India. It might not have the same name draw as that of the LC, but then utility vs price at which it might be offered could be much better for Toyota in India. Or is it that, Fortuner, if launched, might clash with it.
The 4runner's body double is the Prado. The 4runner is the US version designed for a younger customer. Lexus GX470 is on teh same platform as well.
Old 30th January 2009, 02:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Now the politicians have no excuse to access the rural areas
Sir,

The politicians access the rural areas in hot shot vehicles, prado/tuareg/ML320/Scorpio etc.

Just visit the areas where the MLA's have done good work on the roads in their consitutency. I can for one name a dozen in north India

Toyota is wetting their feet in the market known as India, they are not very sure of what the outcome is going to be, I for sure am very sure that the rural + urban segment is going to chomp in excess of 2000 Land Cruisers a year pan India.

Beginning to save up for a lifelong vehicle

Cheers
M M

Last edited by mmmjgm : 30th January 2009 at 02:29.
Old 30th January 2009, 05:32   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Just a moment - I understand in Oz/ NZ in the outback the radically opposite is true. LC reliability/ indestructibility is legendary when compared with LR.
Possibly could be also influenced by the amazingly extensive service/ spares network that LC has in comparison to LR in Oz/ NZ.
This is what a good friend of mine says - he is a total car enthusiast and lives in Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Having grown up in Africa, i shall trust Land Rover anyday when it comes to offroading.
(have gotten stuck often in Land Cruiser and have seen others getting stuck too, Cruiser seems more like a status symbol)

Land Cruisers were more visible in the cities, but as you enter the Serengeti or Botswana national park, Land Rovers ruled the jungle, along with the Lions (simba).

Not dissing the Land Cruiser though. It is good.

Who knows, Land Rover may launch the Classic or Range Rover as a competition to Land Cruiser in India!

Regardless of what i said above, i doubt Land Cruiser will come to India anytime soon. (considering no-name unconfirmed sources)
Old 30th January 2009, 06:08   #50
Senior - BHPian

I spent 2 days with a Landcruiser in Muscat and was sold on it. This was a new gen LC, with a manual gearbox(sold only in the middle east) and central differential lock. Until I finished driving it, I didn't realise that it was a full time 4x4 !! I was foolishly engaging the differential lock in the desert, thinking that I am activating 4x4. I had a li'l bit of fun in the sand with this thing and it was an amazing experience.

The only bummer was that this was a PDO(Petroleum development Oman) spec vehicle, meaning it would cut off fuel supply/ignition the moment road speed went above 120~5 kph(it also had a roll cage - I would have jumped a lot of sand dunes, but family was in the car, so....). Driving at 120 kph all day long, it returned close to 10 kpl and the comfort was to die for. It handled well at high speed on turns, though body roll is there, as with any ladder-frame vehicles.

When we encountered bad patches of road, I slowed down initially, then decided to see how it would be if I just zoomed. That was the moment I was sold on the LC. There was no appreciable difference. The Kinetic Dynamic Suspension works !!! And brilliantly at that.

My Dad was saying that the Pajero is as good, if not better, but I wouldn't know as I never sat in one.

The LC though, IMO, would be THE luxury car one should have in India, for it's go anywhere(well, almost - Please don't bring short WB 4x4 here) capability, while offering maximum comfort to it's occupants.

Bring it on, TOYOTA !!
Old 30th January 2009, 07:10   #51
BHPian

hey i have seen this car in chennai next to maverick,adyar and the number is 99.guess someone has imported it.
Old 30th January 2009, 10:43   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd say the Pajero (Montero) can go to 9.9 of the 10 places a landcruiser 100 would go. But if you want to really go off-roading, take the older 80 series landcruiser which will kill them both.
Just wanted to add a thought to this point : Stock versus stock....the Pajero can match 90% of the LCs terrain capability. However, after-market support for the Landcruiser is phenomenal while that for the Pajero is negligible. No surprise since the LC is so much more successful in the market. You could mod an LC to offroading championship league and thus, an entirely different level (with a truckload of moolah of course). Not so with the Pajero, I remember reading that there is a lack of lift kits too. And performance axles are only available in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
If people are seeking a true offroader, then may be TATA should do something about Land Rover.
I have good news for you! ACI reports that Tata has finalised a property at Worli for Indias first Land Rover + Jaguar showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
I am not sure if they updated the price later in the night. The OTR price as of now is Rs. 38.31 lakhs
47.54 lakhs as of yesterday afternoon at Metro Motors (HM owned showroom).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Wouldn't the 4Runner be a better bet to bring to India.
The 4Runner is a sweet ride and the all-new generation is scheduled for launch in this year. But please don't give them ideas. Bring the LC on, Toyota!!
Old 30th January 2009, 10:57   #53
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Why do you think so, I think the same model if brought in officially as CBU should cost more than through importers.
Possibly coz the importers buy the car off showrooms abroad and bring it in. Those cars would have a local tax component. If Toyota is importing it directly then the local taxes would be avoided and only the import duties at India entry would apply, hence the savings
Old 30th January 2009, 11:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT:

I think that 4Runner is based on Hilux and present Hilux is based on IMV platform on which the Innova is based. Is this true ?
If yes, then why cant Toyota bring in 4runner here as they can now have platform sharing ?

LX470, 4Runner and Prado are based on same platform, but wikipedia mentions that 4runner is based on hilux. Its really confusing.
Old 30th January 2009, 12:05   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just wanted to add a thought to this point : Stock versus stock....the Pajero can match 90% of the LCs terrain capability. However, after-market support for the Landcruiser is phenomenal while that for the Pajero is negligible.
When you say Pajero, you are referring to Indian Pajero or Indian Montero?
Old 30th January 2009, 12:07   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Slightly OT:

I think that 4Runner is based on Hilux and present Hilux is based on IMV platform on which the Innova is based. Is this true ?
If yes, then why cant Toyota bring in 4runner here as they can now have platform sharing ?

LX470, 4Runner and Prado are based on same platform, but wikipedia mentions that 4runner is based on hilux. Its really confusing.
As far as I know, 4runner and hilux are the same vehicle, its called 4 runner in the US and hilux surf elsewhere.

@GTO - Any idea when they are launching rangies in India and any idea of the price? I heard from someone that they were planning the range rover hse in the 40-50L segment, I dont get how that will work because they are being sold at 95 lakhs right now ex-showroom.
Old 30th January 2009, 14:02   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
LX470, 4Runner and Prado are based on same platform
Nope, the LX470 is based on the big-daddy Landcruiser. It is the GX470 & 4Runner which are based on the same Prado platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When you say Pajero, you are referring to Indian Pajero or Indian Montero?
Hahaha! Blame all this confusion on HM. Okay, the Indian Pajero as well as the Landcruiser 80 (2 generations old) are discontinued in all developed markets. They were king in the mid-nineties. It is these two which are more hardcore than the Indian Montero (rebadged latest gen Pajero) & the Landcruiser 100 or the current gen 200 series. For rock-crawling and hard core offroading, the LC 80 is supreme, though nowhere near the current Rubicon etc. Where the LC's excel is in combining comfort with offroadability + reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
@GTO - Any idea when they are launching rangies in India and any idea of the price?
They will be CBU, initially atleast, and won't be cheap. Lets hope Tata pulls off another move by offering these beauties at great prices. According to ACI, the showroom work has already begun. I'd say launch in 2009 itself.
Old 30th January 2009, 15:38   #58
Senior - BHPian

strongly doubt if the big daddy's coming to India for now atleast.. few years ago dads friends imported a LC and sold it for around 50 lakhs (2nd hand v8 petrol) so bringing it in for 40 lakhs is out of the Q..
TOI is a crappy news paper..
what toyota meant was prob that the prado is in for a model change in 2009 when they release it in india it will be available with an option for diesel..
Big daddy will cost you close to 70 -75 On Road Close to that of an x5 or a Q7.
We personally had the pleasure of owning the Big daddy.. even in Dubai where you see supercars and hummers zipping across this baby commands respect among them...
well that was 3-4 years ago after this vehicle my dad fell in love with toyota.. all his vehicles have been toyota's since then..

Last edited by vinaydas : 30th January 2009 at 15:43.
Old 30th January 2009, 18:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but wikipedia mentions that 4runner is based on hilux. Its really confusing.
google with caution. It was the old 4runner from the 90s that was based on the old hi-lux, not anymore.
Old 30th January 2009, 20:41   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Possibly coz the importers buy the car off showrooms abroad and bring it in. Those cars would have a local tax component. If Toyota is importing it directly then the local taxes would be avoided and only the import duties at India entry would apply, hence the savings
When a car is meant to be exported, one does not have to pay any local tax , VAT in the country from where the car is exported. Eg : You dont pay VAT for MB C63 in Germany when you import the car to India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks