Team-BHP - Registration expiry and re-registration/renewal process
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Registration expiry and re-registration/renewal process (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/52689-registration-expiry-re-registration-renewal-process.html)

Mod Note: Please continue the discussion in the new thread. Thanks!

Hi,

My Rx100 is completing it's 15 years of registered life. Current registration is expiring in mid-Feb.

What is the process for re-registration/renewal of registration?
Do I need to take the vehicle to the RTO?
Will I get a new registration number or the current one will remain?
What are the charges and complications, if any, involved?

Any help, inputs, guidance, experience-sharing is appreciated.

Regards
Rex

Ofcourse you would need to take the bike to RTO. The current regn number remains.
Official charges are less, but depending on corruption level in your area, the unofficial charges would vary.

BTW, what is the condition of your bike ? The whole idea behind this is that the government-decided life of a bike/car is 15 years and if it needs to be renewed by another 5 years, the vehicle has to be in road-worthy condition. Ofcourse, the RTO guys decide what is road-worthy and what is not, which is where the bribe part comes in.

We did this in 2000 for our M800 that had done 15 years. It was at Chennai and on the advice of some friends I went via a driving school. Total cost to me was Rs800 and the whole thing was over in 2 hours. Ofcourse the inspector did drive my car and do a cursory road-worthiness check.

P.S.: My bike is going to be 14 years in a few months and next year I would be in the same situation you are in now. Keep mulling whether the whole thing is worth it or if it is better to trade-in my bike and get a new one. Ofcourse sentiment does not permit the latter option.

Quote:

My bike is going to be 14 years in a few months and next year I would be in the same situation you are in now.
Likewise. My Jeep is in her 13th year. Is the maximum renewal period only 5 years?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1151194)
Likewise. My Jeep is in her 13th year. Is the maximum renewal period only 5 years?

AFAIK- yes. I tried asking the same thing when I went for my bike's fitness check at 15 and 20 years. Guess RTO needs to verify periodically whether its still roadworthy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
Is the maximum renewal period only 5 years?

Yeah, the renewal is for a 5-year period each time.

There is also a green tax which is applicable now for vehicles over 15 years old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeBaleno (Post 1150769)
BTW, what is the condition of your bike ?

My RX is in great condition. These days, it's used more as a weekend vehicle and it runs great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 1151290)
There is also a green tax which is applicable now for vehicles over 15 years old.

This link (Organisation Chart) gives the process and fees involved in renewal of registration. Renewal is Rs. 60/- and green tax is Rs. 250/- for two wheelers.

Now, what we need to know is the unspecified/unwritten fee part.

Regards
Rex

Quote:

Originally Posted by rex_varghese (Post 1151371)

Now, what we need to know is the unspecified/unwritten fee part.

Gave Rs 300 to agent @ trivandrum when I got it done. Not sure what portion of it went to the RTO.

guys ,
what are the temp and permanent registration charges applicable in kerala .
the dealer is asking to pay rs 3000 for both (temp 1500 + perm 1500) .
I think this is too high.

I made my much awaited and at the same time much-dreaded RTO trip on Tuesday. I left a note at work saying I might come in late due to some RTO work and if it really takes time, I might take first half off. I would realize very soon that I was very naive at that.

After collecting my new battery from KR Road, I reached the RTO premises around 11:15am. Entering the RTO complex is like coming out of a train platform or leaving the departure gate of an airport. Every other person asks you 'Sir, can I help you?', 'What do you want, Sir?', 'Any work with RTO, Sir?'. How helpful people are?

I had downloaded Form 25 for renewal of registration and had filled it up already. After some asking around, I reached the right room and based on the series of my vehicle registration number, I reached the right counter. The person at the counter looked at the application and marked few things on the first sheet and asked me to go and pay the fees of Rs. 310/- (Rs. 60/- renewal fees and Rs. 250/- green tax). I paid the fees and the counter person asked me to produce the vehicle for inspection. Now, I was not sure where to take the vehicle and where is the inspector. The help desk at the entrance of the 2nd floor told me to go and wait at the parking lot on the north side of the RTO complex (the side facing Old Madras Road). I went down and brought by vehicle to that side and parked. No sign of any inspector. I asked the parking attendant and he told me that the inspector will come at 12Noon. I could see a large number of auto rickshaws lining up, people checking the lights, dusting the seats, re-painting the number plates, etc. I waited. 12Noon, 12:30pm, 1:00pm. No sign of any inspector. Then, a man in civilian dress came out of the Philips Driving School office door and I thought he is an agent. Later I realized that he is the assistant to the Motor Vehicle Inspector(MVI). He said the inspector who was supposed to inspect private vehicles has gone for a court hearing on Hosur road and is expected any time. Another inspector started inspection of auto rickshaws and taxi cabs and another one started inspecting big vehicles parked outside the RTO compound. No sign of the private vehicle inspector. It was 1:30 and then 2:00pm. Then, the MVI, who was inspecting the big vehicles outside, finished his work and came in. The assistant went and had some chat with him and he came to inspect the private vehicles. He said he will see only new vehicles because otherwise they will have to go and come back again (as if others do not have to do that). By this time, there were a huge number of new two wheelers brought in and lined up by dealers for registration. The agents from dealers handed over big bunch of application forms to the MVI and he started shouting 'red honda activa' and an agent will read out the engine number and chassis number. The MVI will initial on the application form against the engine and chassis numbers and few other places and inspection is over for that vehicles. This continues for a sometime and in between, seeing me and few other guys hanging around him with the forms, kept on saying that he will not see any old vehicles.

Later, as he finished with his super fast inspection of the new vehicles, he expressed some generosity and started seeing some old vehicles brought in for re-certification, transfer, re-registration, etc. He started asking to switch-on the vehicle, play the indicators, apply front and rear breaks, put on and off head lights, high beam, low beam, etc. Then, my turn came and he came near my vehicle. He looked at it and said 'Yamaha?'. He said 'you will have to either remove this saree guard or repaint it. Otherwise all looks good.' The saree guard was little rusted and was not definitely looking good. Suddenly, this inspector got an idea. He asked me to start the vehicles and asked me to rev up the accelerator, He started shaking his head. Then he played the accelerator to the full extend possible, visibly shaking his head vigorously and said 'this vehicle is making lot of noise. Rectify it and bring it again'. I was shocked and so do many others waiting there. I told him this is standard two-stroke Yamaha noise and there is no rectification that can be done. He said this cannot be certified like this and walked away. Few folks standing around also supported me, but it's his kingdom and he ruled there.

By this time, the inspector who was away on court hearing came and I told him the whole story. He said 'you will have to rectify what he has asked for and then I will see it". Ok, so that's it. I was disappointed even though I was expecting something to go wrong; I never expected the noise of the engine could blow my dreams of getting my bike certified in a single trip to the RTO.

Now, I started pondering the option of 'seeing' whoever I've to 'see' in the right sense. Then, another person who came for a vehicle transfer suggested that I see the assistant after 3:00pm in hall number 6. I had another 30 minutes left. So, finished my lunch from one of the dhaba style eateries in the complex and went up to meet the assistant. He came in and started updating and stamping the inspected forms. I met him and told him the story and indicated that this vehicle is not modified in any way and got a full service done last Saturday and whatever sound you hear is the standard two-stroke Yamaha sound. He appeared to be convinced but was not an authority to decide. He wanted me to meet the MVI who rejected the bike in the morning and explain. So, I went in side his office and explained the same thing to him. I also mentioned that if I have to change the noise in anyway I may have to modify the exhaust/silencer system, which may not be acceptable to the RTO. Then, after thinking a little longer and chewing some more pan (which was spread out in a platter on his table) he said 'ok, I will send my assistant with a noise level meter (Deccan Herald - Lower noise levels auto-matically). If the noise is with in the limits, we'll certify'. I felt good as I was sure that it will definitely with in the limits. Then, I waited for his assistant to turn up and went with him to the vehicle. He went and collected a 'noise level meter' from somewhere and wanted me to start the vehicle. Meantime, I got the impression of the chassis and engine numbers on the application form. This looks like a mandatory process. If you go through an agent/broker, he will do this for you. Otherwise, you'll have to do this by yourself.

I started the vehicle and in the idling stage the meter showed 72 dB. Then he wanted me to rev up the engine and the meter went up to 85 dB. Then, the assistant himself started revving the engine up to the fullest and it touched 90 dB. Then, he called up the inspector and apprised him of the measurements. Then I heard him saying, 'yes, all checked, indicators, break lights, everything'. Then he asked me to go and meet him and tell that all is checked. He was a very nice person, unlike many other folks I've come across in RTO. I wanted to pay him something out of my happiness, if I ever wanted to pay anybody. But, he said you can meet the inspector. I met the inspector, he initialed at the engine number and chassis number. Then, he wanted me to meet the other assistant and get the forms stamped. I got the stamps and went to inspector again. The MIVI signed on the inspection form and asked me to submit at the counter.

The counter person accepted the form and asked me to punch everything together and submit. She gave me an acknowledgement and asked me to come and collect the document the next day between 4:30pm and 5:30pm. It was around 4:00pm and I was done with major part of the work for that day. And, I my plan to get back to work after finishing have now become meaningless and I was so tired and stressed out of all the days' events. But, felt very satisfied inside me for completing the task in a day as planned and for not paying any extra money to anybody to get things done. When I had called up Philips Driving School on Monday to enquire about the charges for the registration renewal they said their charge is Rs. 1200/- all inclusive. Very exorbitant considering the actual charge of Rs. 310/-. But, I would realize the next day that Rs. 310/- was not enough to get my renewal done.

Next day, I reached the counter at 5:00pm. As usual I was send up and down and finally locked on to a counter based on the registration series of my RX. Then, the person at the counter started searching for my documents, murmuring something. He is unable to locate it. He is turning everything around and looking all over his desk, with no luck. Then, gets up and goes to another place and comes back with my documents. Now, he starts writing the Fitness Certificate and sends the documents with a big ledger to the Superindent. I could hear him muttering to the attendant 'party is waiting'. The Superindent had almost got up and was about to leave. To my luck, he looked at the papers and signed the certificate. The attendant brought the documents to the counter. The counter person stamped the certificate and started the struggle to remove the RC book and other documents from the bunch which was all tied together through a punch hole. He showed me how difficult and time consuming the whole job is. I asked him 'can I help you?' to which he grinned and looked at me with a look saying 'you can help me with this?' Then, he started saying, 'you vehicle has become like new', 'it's got another life for five years', 'Yamaha? oh! It's a very good vehicle', etc, etc. Then he handed over the RC, insurance, tax card, registration card, and emission certificate to me with a sign/body language that I should appreciate his job. I was not willing to understand his actions, so he showed his forefinger in a way to show me that I have to pay him something. I decided to pay him any way, since I was feeling good to have got the whole stuff completed with out much trouble. Paid him a 100 rupee note and he appeared very happy. After looking at the certificate I went back to clarify something and he appeared to be more than happy to help and he was not the person I've seen him 10 minutes back.

So, the registration renewal is done and the experience has given me enough stuff to write such a long story like this. I thought I will pen down the whole stuff here so that it will be helpful to somebody, sometime.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the experience and I really want to highlight that there are few very good people in this place. I think that is the story wherever we go, however 'tainted' that place may be. The willingness of the MVI to give it a shot with a 'noise level meter' was the turning point for my winning the day. I'm thankful to him for that decision.

Registration renewal - requirements
1. RC Book
2. Registration card - a single sheet with registration details
3. Tax card - where the LTT amount is mentioned
4. Insurance certificate
5. Emission Control certificate

You can download the form (Form 25) from the RTO website Organisation Chart.

Process
1. Submit the form with all the documents to the counter in Hall number 8. The person will verify the form and mark the fees to be paid
2. Pay the fees (Rs. 310/- (Rs. 60/- renewal fees and Rs. 250/- green tax)) at the cash counter.
3. Produce the vehicle for inspection. Inspection happens after 12Noon till lunch time. So, you can come in time for the inspection, there is no need to hang around. Make sure all lights and horn are in good condition. Also, the vehicle should look neat and clean
4. Once the inspection is through, the inspector will verify the engine and chassis numbers and initial the form
5. After 3pm, you can go to Hall No. 6 and get the form stamped by the assistant
6. Take the form to the MVI and get it signed, if it's not already signed
7. Once the signature is done, please submit the form with all documents to the right counter in Hall 8.
8. You will get an Acknowledgement slip with which can you can collect the updated documents next day or the day mentioned in the slip, between 4:30 and 5:30pm.

That's it for now. I already started worrying about the next renewal in 2014 :-)

Some experience, Rex. You sure are one persistent fella! Job well done. A standard issue at every government office : Frustrating WAITS. Honestly, I would've just gotten hold of an agent.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Very informative indeed. I too would have gotten hold of a agent. I gave my RC to the dealer along with 300 bucks for HP cancellation and got it back in 2 weeks. I would not have the same level of patience as you.

Do I need to pay the Tax again at the time of renewal of RC.My Motorcycles has life time tax paid, the RC has expired.What is the tax and amount required to be paid?

Folks,

I need to get registration of my brother's RX100 renewed. 15 year date was sometime in June and the vehicle was in non-running condition.

It's currently getting rebuilt (cosmetically, no engine work) to original specs - so the requirement of functioning/working vehicle is met.

The issue is that my brother is overseas. What forms/additional documentation is required that I can complete this process.

This is for Pune MH14. Help from someone who has done this recently would be appreciated.

It seems it is mandatory to re register a 15 year vehicle at least one day before the date of expiry of the RC. For registering a vehicle after the completion of 15 years (with expired RC) we have to pay a fine of Rs 2000/- for a two wheeler ? If so safely how early we can re register such a vehicle ?