Team-BHP - Iveco Massif
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Iveco Massif (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/52698-iveco-massif.html)

Iveco trucks are/used to be sold in association with ALL. I was just checking the IVECO website and do you all think that the company should launch the Massif in India? It'll serve the defense well plus will have decent sales in the normal market as well.

Yes, it'll be expensive. No doubts about it.

Can Fiat bring it here?

Edit: Pics courtesy, Google Baba!

Isn't massif based on defender?? Wouldn't tata launch defender rather than let fiat launch massif??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comrade (Post 1150965)
Isn't massif based on defender?? Wouldn't tata launch defender rather than let fiat launch massif??

As far as I know, it is not based on the defender.

Correction now:

Yes. It is based on the defender.

Source: Iveco Massif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The relevant portion:

"The Massif is essentially a revamped and restyled version of the Santana Motor Company’s PS-10, itself a derivative of the Land Rover Defender which Santana formerly built under licence."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comrade (Post 1150965)

I always had that question myself. It appears to be based on that. I am sure Massif would be cheaper than the Defender??

It is based on the Defender. IVECO took over Land Rover SANTANA - a unit which assembled Land Rvers in Spain. Current LR Defender has coil suspension all round. The IVECO has leaf springs

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1151002)
It is based on the Defender. IVECO took over Land Rover SANTANA - a unit which assembled Land Rvers in Spain. Current LR Defender has coil suspension all round. The IVECO has leaf springs

Can taking over a unit allow another company to model the car and launch its own product? No licenses required?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amtak (Post 1150947)
Iveco trucks are/used to be sold in association with ALL. I was just checking the IVECO website and do you all think that the company should launch the Massif in India? It'll serve the defense well plus will have decent sales in the normal market as well.

Yes, it'll be expensive. No doubts about it.

Can Fiat bring it here?

Edit: Pics courtesy, Google Baba!

There doesn't seems to be a need of this in India, we have our desi Mahindra making such products at reasonable prices. At higher price, who is going to buy these against likes of CRV, Endy, Captiva and Fortuner someday.

Instead India needs great SUVs in price range of 6 to10 Lakhs. Not for rural market but for urban market, specially an ultra mordern one which the younger gemeration would love to have.

This vehicle had come to india as a support vehicle for the Ferrari's tour of India which had 2 612s..

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 1151002)

Ajmat is right. Santana motor company of spain got a license to produce the a vehicle based on the Landrover Series 110. Not the defender. These were sold as Santana PS10 by Iveco dealers in UK. The Massiff is the latest iteration of this vehicle. Iveco and Santana have a tie up now.

Read more about it on:
Santana Motor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regarding the licensing it is no different from the way Mahindra got a licence to produce the earlier version of the CJ which they launched as the the MM540.

Based on how well the Pajero has been accepted in India, I would say that there is not much of a market for this thing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by amtak (Post 1151013)
Can taking over a unit allow another company to model the car and launch its own product? No licenses required?

Depends on how they wrote the agreement but usually no. For eg, the Indian Cielo was a rebodied Opel Kadett. The Terracan was a rebodied 90s Pajero.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1151664)
Ajmat is right. Santana motor company of spain got a license to produce the a vehicle based on the Landrover Series 110. Not the defender.

The series 90/110 is the predecessor to the Defender. Defender is evolved from it with minor improvement.

Defender apes 1960's Chrysler 300. I would prefer the defender over the IVECO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 1151736)
The series 90/110 is the predecessor to the Defender. Defender is evolved from it with minor improvement.

I think it is more than minor improvements. Basic look remained the same, but major changes to power train and suspension and chasis.

hey amtak - any chance that you were impressed with the snaps in autocar india feb issue?

but seriously why dose'nt m&m make a mm540 with around 90bhp and a good suspension system, like independent front and dead axle rear with springs -

obviously it would have it own niche market