View Poll Results: Larger step forward?
Vista 187 60.52%
Xylo 122 39.48%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2010, 18:20   #136
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jerry68,

My post if you hadn't noticed is almost a year old. I don't own a Xylo and my friend had one of the first Xylos on the road in Bangalore. Fit and finish wasn't that great in that vehicle. Maybe a one-off case or initial production troubles.

My views were purely based on what I saw and how the car handled then. My friend works on a ship and when questioned on how it rides, he mentioned it was worse than his ocean-faring days. The major plus being the space and the engine. We travelled close to 1300 kms on that trip.
Old 13th September 2010, 19:17   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Hi Jerry68,

My post if you hadn't noticed is almost a year old. I don't own a Xylo and my friend had one of the first Xylos on the road in Bangalore. Fit and finish wasn't that great in that vehicle. Maybe a one-off case or initial production troubles.

My views were purely based on what I saw and how the car handled then. My friend works on a ship and when questioned on how it rides, he mentioned it was worse than his ocean-faring days. The major plus being the space and the engine. We travelled close to 1300 kms on that trip.
Hi Suraj
Yes I know that many of the views before mine were over a long span of time. Just wanted to put in my two cents of what I felt about the present condition of things to keep people up-to-date. After all isn't that what this forum is all about.

I feel every thread should reflect on the change or even widely differing viewpoints - gives others a better perspective. I am the beneficiary as I went through literally hundreds of posts on the various vehicles before deciding on the Xylo. Believe it or not the fact that so many people put down their personal feelings experiences etc that I was able to do a 'virtual test drive' on these pages itself without going to dealer.

Hope we are good.
Cheers

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th September 2010 at 19:27. Reason: A little bit of punctuations will improve readability, please do a Preview of posts before Submitting. Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 23:54   #138
BHPian

Re: Tata Vista versus Mahindra Xylo

Vista for me, i remember see Sid Patankar on the Car & Bike show, who himself was surprised, driving a vista. This is what TM has achieved after 12 years since they started with Indica. (their share price, when Indica was launched was 37 or 38).
Old 16th September 2011, 15:58   #139

I don't think either is any leap forward.

Tata I feel have degraded their capabilities after putting out vehicles like the Estate and the Sierra. Even today if you come across any one of these, they look far superior to any of Tata's current products (if you call Aria premium, then maybe it's an upgrade).
I did not own any nor have I test driven these, but I have always heard good things from people who own(ed) them (and this is strictly in comparison to the time period they were launched).
Since then, everything from the Tata stable just looks cheap, to the extent that I have had people cringing at the suggestion of buying a comparatively premium Tata car.

Xylo, as others have pointed out, does not have much of a pure Indian heart and IMO looks ugly (even at that price point).
We have had equally competent products preceding it from other manufacturers (local/foreign) so not many points to Mahindra there either (for ground breaking product from an Indian company).

Plus as far as an Indian heart is concerned, I think the first Indica was far more Indian than any car since from any Indian company.

Finally, the only point Mahindra gets over Tata, is that with much less resources, they have managed to beat competition.
Old 17th September 2011, 20:03   #140
BHPian

I think it's a pretty even match. Engineering a small car involves a bigger challenge than an MUV, so I think that the Vista should get bonus points for that, even though the Xylo is all-Indian, heart included.

However, due to the much higher quality/finish of execution, I'd say that the Xylo wins this comparo overall. Design is not all that matters. Execution is even more important.

Most Viewed