Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Larger step forward?
Vista 187 60.52%
Xylo 122 39.48%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2009, 04:10   #46
BHPian

My vote is for Vista. The improvement of Vista (from Indica) as compared to Xylo (from Scorpio) is much higher, specially in terms of fit & finish of interiors, gear shift and engine performance.

I feel , Tata's should have marketed Vista as new brand and not clubbed in the Indica group. It might have carried a much better brand value in the market.

It seems Tata is going to follow the same with New Indigo also.
Old 1st February 2009, 06:53   #47
BHPian

I wish 'both' would have been an option, but since it isnt, my vote goes to the Vista by a very narrow margin.

I do hope Tata offer more engine choices in the Vista. The Xeta's 1.2 would have made the petrol more affordable. Also plonking the 100 bhp twincam from the XL would be a great idea.

Both the manufacturers have indeed made great progress over the past decade, but one would have liked to see them more focused on safety. Hopefully both the Vista and the Xylo will offer ABS/ Airbags soon.
Old 1st February 2009, 09:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Xylo.
Both Indica Vista and Xylo are evolutions rather than revolutions I expected, given the time frame they had, specially for Indica.

But out the two, I think Xylo is a much better effort than Indica Vista. Scorpio was one big in house design achievement. Tata went to I.DE.A for the exterior design of Indica ( close resemblance with Palio and reason cited by Fiat for bringing in Palio late ), Mahindra did all inhouse. The present Xylo is still carrying over that tractor derived motor and again that it mounted high and the main reason for poor handling.
Xylo is a real improvement over Scorpio. Scorpio had space issue from day one. It was not very refined and was on cruder side. Xylo has ample space, good interiors and apart from looks, handling is the only thing it carrires forward. This will be solved once the 2.2 fits under the hood of Xylo. I am sure the results would good as compared to Scropio ( and they can add anti roll bar ).

Coming to Indica Vista, the improvements are rather limited. Cabin space has gone up considerably. But boot remains bad. The range of engines are rather limited with two motors coming from Fiat. The diesel Fiat motor is the gem of all the motors available. The 1.2 ( 1172cc ) petrol with VVT from Fiat is not good for such a heavy car. Indica Vista also loses out on IRS. And they had opporutnity to provide a more individualistic looks to Vista.

In short, IMO as compared to Indica, Indica Vista is not a very, very big leap forward, in some areas its big leap, but not in all. But Xylo comes as a real surprise, and the improvements are significant in most of the areas as compared to Scorpio. The pricing means Innova is now sure to get hit.

But if I am in the market for buying cars, I would never choose Vista over Japanese cars and I will not pick Xylo over Japanese.
But here, for me Xylo is the winner.
Old 1st February 2009, 10:57   #49
BANNED

I agree!
If there was a BOTH option in this poll, many would've opted to vote for that. But then it takes out the real intention of the poll in my opinion.
Now, one has to think thru all the achievements these products have managed to bag in and therefore, votes very carefully. And this is what a poll should do.

Kudos, GTO!
Old 1st February 2009, 11:25   #50
BHPian

To me, Xylo is far more step forward than Indica for simply one reason being the engine under the hood. The refinement that Mahindra has brought upon its engine is tremendous. I would have voted for Tata had Indica Vista boasted its own in house developed engine. WIth Fiat engine running inside, which is world's renowned MultiJet small diesel, the refinement in Indica was but obviously to go up.
On the other hand, Xylo has its own engine developed by M&M may not be the top of the line, but compared to refinement that has come up with the engine is amazing.

My Vote - Xylo

I now, proceed to read other's opinion on this thread

take care and drive safely
Old 1st February 2009, 11:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
But out the two, I think Xylo is a much better effort than Indica Vista. Scorpio was one big in house design achievement. Tata went to I.DE.A for the exterior design of Indica ( close resemblance with Palio and reason cited by Fiat for bringing in Palio late ), Mahindra did all inhouse.
Dude , i dont get your point. the last gen indica was an I.DE.A . The new vista is all new, except perhaps for the overall styling theme, everything was done in house by tata, so where exactly is tata lacking
Old 1st February 2009, 11:47   #52
BHPian

My vote goes to Vista

Vote goes to Vista. ( Not for I own one, We seriously considered waiting for Xylo while purchasing our second Indigo XL )

I think Vista is a big step forward for Tata. Mahindra has already done that with Scorpio. So from Manufacturer's point of view, Xylo is a carrying it forward from Scorpio. But Vista is miles ahead from Indica / Indigo range. ( I personally prefer to be in Vista's driving seat than Indigo XL's )

Also, I second what greenhorn has said for design part.
Old 1st February 2009, 14:35   #53
BHPian

I voted for Vista. IMO, irrespective of whether the Vista looks similar to the previous gen Indica, it does not jar from any angle and looks more balanced, unlike the Xylo, which seems to have different designers for different body panels.

Long term quality remains to be seen with both the Vista and Xylo. In fact this has been my primary grouse with Indian manufacturers - After they spend so much money developing new products, why give up when its 90% complete? Is this the std Indian - Chalta Hai in play? For ex: Power window switches - just compare the switches from a Santro with a old gen Indica or Scorpio (Sorry - havent seen either Vista or Xylo, so cant comment) and you'll know the difference. Why cant they spend the extra Rs10 or so to get better quality switches?
Old 1st February 2009, 19:06   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Dude , i dont get your point. the last gen indica was an I.DE.A . The new vista is all new, except perhaps for the overall styling theme, everything was done in house by tata, so where exactly is tata lacking
What TATA lacks is that Vista is very deeply resembling Indica. They could have easily made it better and given it a better look. Tata had more resources at its disposal and a car better looking and having an individual character was expected ( atleast by me ).

In case of Xylo, they have tried to make it look like Scorpio, but not entirely. Also from the rear, Xylo and Scorpio are very different, same cannot be said by Tata.

Vista did not make a good improvement over Indica for boot space, but Xylo is a huge improvement over Scorpio over comfort and space.
Earlier tata, citing sagging did not give IRS, but somewhere I read that Indica Vista is not allowed passing as tourist vehicle, so the sagging problem wont be such a huge issue. Still tata replcaed that struts rear suspension with torsion beam.

Xylo has reworked motor from Scorpio, but Tata lacks a reworked or better motor and instead goes on with help from Fiat.
Old 2nd February 2009, 05:46   #55
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

these vehicles belong to two different segments entirely and the choice depends largely on the usage planned
IMO, for small families with primarily in-city usage, the Vista is a logical choice, but for larger families who like to do out-station/ highway road trips / pilgrimages/ holidays with luggage, then the Xylo it is!
same with taxi operators - vista would be an excellent in city cab - also for 2 persons with normal luggage for airport-city-airport hauls. The Xylo will serve very well for 2-3 persons with more luggage on the airport-city-airport hauls.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd February 2009 at 05:48.
Old 2nd February 2009, 07:37   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
these vehicles belong to two different segments entirely and the choice depends largely
Buddy, you should read the first post!

Yet to feel/see or experience Vista. By reading the reviews, seems like the fit & finish has improved. No need to talk much about engine/gear as it is sourced one. I would not say this is a great leap for a company like TM. Expected a car beating atleast Koreans if not Japanese. Expected a 100% perfect hatch, as Tata should have learnt a lot in these 8 or so years.

Xylo : As an existing M&M owner, I would put my money in a 2.2 mHawk rather than this Xylo. I do not like the name first of all. Then the design also seems to be debatable. Scorpio's success is greatly attributed to its responsive engine and its overall easily serviceable mechanics and spares. Reliability part can be commented only after some time.

So for me both, nothing to boast about.
Old 2nd February 2009, 09:20   #57
BHPian

Both vehicles are a major step forward , but if i have to choose between the two it has to be the XYLO ,as i feel engine is a very important aspect of a package .Although even Mahindra has taken inputs from outside,its still very much a Mahindra engine.Vista is a great package no doubt but the multijet engine is a borrowed one from fiat. The important fact to note here is that both tatas and mahindra should be given credit for coming out with such good products keeping in mind the fact that one was a truck manufacturer while the other one was basically a tractor manufacturer.
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:12   #58
BHPian

Vistah!

The Vista will do nicely for me. Love it's styling. Those windows give it such a roomy and sunshiny feel!

I recall an episode from Top Gear where they had trashed it as the 'City Rover'. Would like to see them try and do it now

Not a big fan of the centre console though. Everyhting else is just so kewl!

As regards the Xylo... No thanks.
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Voting for Xylo, as I would count its leap from Bolero and other Mahindra's people carriers and not Scorpio.
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:59   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Actually the launch of the Xylo makes one rethink about the Sumo Grande.
True , Grande was earlier compared either to Scorpio / Safari / innova and was loosing out or was being compared to Sumo Victa / Bolero and loosing on price points. I wonder how Xylo will fare once Initial Euphoria dies out.

I wonder why thread is not on Grande vs Xylo on same parameters the question is asked for vista.

1. Both are reusing a detuned / modified tried and tested engine.
2.2 VTT Dicor and 2.6 liter Scorpio with modifed displacement of 2.5 Liters.

2. Both are quantam evolution on earlier design ( Sumo for Tata and Bolero for Mahindra)

3. Grande reuses Chasis from Sumo Victa but Do not know about Xylo.

The only mistake Tatas did was to reuse the Sumo tag

Last edited by amitk26 : 2nd February 2009 at 14:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks