View Poll Results: Larger step forward?
Vista 187 60.52%
Xylo 122 39.48%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:22   #61

My vote is for Vista

Quote:
I'd pick the Vista over its Japanese / Korean competition, but I wouldn't choose the Xylo over its foreign alternatives.
This one line wraps it all...Xylo still lacks the looks.comfort of innova but Indica Vista scores over its competitors...

Nice review.
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:27   #62
BHPian

Vista!..

I think tata is trying to fix the problems one by one on priority basis. First fix is the fir & finish quality which is visible in Vista ( & may be in new indigo ) .& who knows they will come up with true indigenous heart in next three- five years

I sincerely hope that in next 10 years the true Indian auto companies will be worldwide Auto Giants and people across the world will by Indian cars for the luxury/ prestigious status
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:09   #63
Senior - BHPian

Tough one, this. I voted for the Vista.

However, drive the Vista TDi and you will be under-whelmed. It needs that cracker of an engine, the Multijet.

While the Xylo does lose out on the Ride and Handling Front, I think it should have a better overall reliability going by the Scorpio's history. It's too early.

Voted for the Vista simply because this is the first from Tata's small car stable that can match up to its competitors on all departments (instead of primarily pricing, space and diesel economy as earlier) and win in quite a few!

Last edited by architect : 2nd February 2009 at 15:10.
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:53   #64
BHPian

The biggest thing that goes in favour of Tata Motors is the fact that they have been in this business for the last 10 years only. M&M on the other hand has been there since ages. I believe 1945 was when it was established. The co. took its own sweet time in getting a vehicle like the Scorpio. The Xylo no doubt is a huge improvement, but it’s come so so very late in history. On the other hand Tata’s have come out with the Vista with-in 10 years of being established. This is an achievement that should not go unnoticed.
I am sure Tata’s will have a much better product down the line as compared to M&M. Also look at the number of iterations that TMIL have done as compared to M&M.

Slightly off-topic - Maruti Suzuki has been thriving on the popularity of its models & the unfortunate laid back attitude of most buyers in the country who buy anything thrown at them. I am not trying to insult any one over. Case in point:
In 1 of my recent visits to a Maruti showroom, I walked over to a family looking at the A-Star. I whispered in the ears of the one of the men in the group that the space at the back was horrible especially when the front seats are pushed back completely. To my utter surprise he replied - 'How can you get everything in a car which costs this much? Anyway the ladies will sit at the back & I am sure they will not complain.' I just laughed & wondered if he would say the same thing in case of a Indica or a Scorpio? Don’t think so...
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:23   #65
Senior - BHPian

My Vote for Vista.
Reasons- You sit in it and drive it - don't feel old TATA indica (i was very surprised with the TD).
Xylo- Not driven so no comments about that. Didn't liked the looks in person.(Scorpio and safari are better looking any day or i may add Innova as well)

See quiet a few people mentioning its quiet the same looks as the old Indica. Makes me wonder why doesn't people say so for a Sonata Embera or a new BMW 7 series as i cant find many changes in there looks as well. Few more premium cars are there as well in the same way.

In the end M&M and TATA both are trying hard to raise the standard of there car making which is appreciable by all means.

Also i don't see any harm in TATA borrowing 1.3mjd from FIAT - didn't Maruti did the same? Whats the harm if i get a good product which is assembled.
M&M has also consulted foreign people as mentioned by GTO earlier.
Learning and adapting is a good thing and specially in this recession period if company's are borrowing few things from each other to make a good product i see no harm in that. Just my opinion.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:09   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Will refrain from voting simply because I believe that both vehicles have moved the game forward for their respective companies.
I couldn't agree anymore. This is a tight poll, and as written in the opening post, either car is a giant leap ahead for the Indian auto industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvation View Post
but tavera and Qualis you must be joking right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
doesnt the Qualis also dip and dive upon braking? Then why herald it for good road manners?
The Qualis : Not by todays Innova standards, but for its time, it was far better behaved than the competing Armada Grande or the Tata Sumo.

The Tavera : Of course. I find the body roll - an MUVs cancer - very well controlled and overall behaviour pretty predictable (by UV standards).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
I feel , Tata's should have marketed Vista as new brand and not clubbed in the Indica group. It might have carried a much better brand value in the market.
Head straight here, Ram Linky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkavthekar View Post
The refinement that Mahindra has brought upon its engine is tremendous. On the other hand, Xylo has its own engine developed by M&M may not be the top of the line, but compared to refinement that has come up with the engine is amazing.
Agreed, Mahindra does a pretty good job with its engines. The original Scorpio unit was awesome in its own right, while the new Mhawk unit is darn competent too. Definitely brownie points for developing their own engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
2. Both are quantam evolution on earlier design ( Sumo for Tata and Bolero for Mahindra)
The Grande is hardly a quantum leap ahead of the Sumo.
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:39   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Qualis : Not by todays Innova standards, but for its time, it was far better behaved than the competing Armada Grande or the Tata Sumo.

The Tavera : Of course. I find the body roll - an MUVs cancer - very well controlled and overall behaviour pretty predictable (by UV standards).
GTO, your observations are correct, but the dilemma for the manufacturers is what to optimize for. While body roll was well controlled in the Qualis, the ride quality was much better in the Sumo.
Similarly, the Tavera has less body roll but a harsher ride than the Scorpio.

What is it that the market wants? That is where makers get confused. Can't blame them!
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:01   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
The biggest thing that goes in favour of Tata Motors is the fact that they have been in this business for the last 10 years only. M&M on the other hand has been there since ages. I believe 1945 was when it was established.
Totally agree with Maverick on this one. Its a big leap for Tata to have come out with the Vista in just a decade of being in business.

Voted for the Vista!
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:40   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Totally agree with Maverick on this one. Its a big leap for Tata to have come out with the Vista in just a decade of being in business.

Voted for the Vista!
but M&M was only into making crude but competent 4x4 jeeps, absolutely not for families. their first foray into the private sector would be the armada according to me. is that in 1994? or better still the bolero, the first ever mahindra product largely considered by families.

even TATA used to make commercial vehicles, they entered this arena with the indica. i think that is in 1998.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:00   #70
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Vista

Voted for Vista:

Felt it is ahead of international competetion in almost all aspects and have been achieved in a smaller time frame for TATA as a company since it entered the Car Segment.

Xylo, is still a compromise in various areas, and M&M has been in the UV / People Carrier mode for much longer. Also even today though it has been a fixed target for long the Inova trumps the Xylo in many areas including quality leaving aside the VFM parameter.

Finally I believe TATA too has a Safari adaptation similar to the Inova that is comming up and that should better the Xylo within this year itself.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:15   #71
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
even TATA used to make commercial vehicles, they entered this arena with the indica. i think that is in 1998.
Tata made passenger vehicles in the early nineties as well. More specifically, the Estate, Sierra & the Sumo.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:22   #72
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread GTO - voted for the Vista. By the way, they've launched a "Limited" edition of the Vista in white with Black & Silver alloys (apart from other stuff) - looked nice.
Old 4th February 2009, 12:19   #73
BHPian

Xylo

Good poser GTO! Excellent improvements here. The philosophy behind both the cars have been really well thought out and modified from earlier standard philosophies.

My vote for XYLO - simply because it seems to be better VFM.
Old 4th February 2009, 12:44   #74
BHPian

I loved the Vista QJD when i TDed with respect to ride, handling and improvement over its sibling Indica. However it would had been much better if they had upgraded to a new edition design from the rear and excluding Indica name from the TATA station!

Hence my vote goes to Xylo!

I haven't driven this car but from the reviews and feedbacks, I can say its well designed for its engine, exterior and interiors solely with no copy paste and sticking to Scorpio Jr name like!

Its a big leap for a M&M brand in the sedan segment with a killer price!
Old 4th February 2009, 13:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

I would go for the Vista. I have sat in the Xylo and I really liked it in terms of space but I think that Tata Motors have put one step forward by improving the quality much more in order to attack the global market tomorrow. Mahindra on the other hand have thought of new things, but on a regional scale.

In my personal opinion, the Tata Indica started its life as a car for India. It nearly had everything that the commom Indian man needed. Mahindra did the same thing with the Scorpio.
Now though, Tata Motors have taken their Indica to a higher level and have tried to make it a competitor in the global market, where as the Xylo still seems to have tried its best to satisfy the Indian customer.

Most Viewed