Xylo 122 39.48%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 13:21   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tata Vista versus Mahindra Xylo

Tata Vista versus Mahindra Xylo-r0011429.jpg

Surprised between this comparo, aren’t you? Nope, I am not asking which car you’d choose of the two. Nor do I think that too many would cross-shop between the Xylo & Vista.

My question is thus : Which of these is a bigger step forward for an Indian car? Is the Vista a bigger move forward for Tata? Or is it Xylo for Mahindra? Is the Xylo a bigger accomplishment for Mahindra? Or is it Vista for Tata?

Up until the mid-90’s, neither Tata nor Mahindra could build an acceptable modern passenger vehicle. That has obviously changed. Thus, what we have to consider is : Compared to where they were 8 – 10 years back, have they moved forward? Have they solved their weaknesses? Which of the two would have a better shot at success in a developed market with a mature customer?

Tata’s weaknesses (at the time of the Indica launch) were the lack of fit & finish, constant niggling problems and unrefined powerplants. Sit in the Vista and most won’t believe that they are in a Tata product! In fact, most comments on the forum revolved around the interior space & quality. To solve the problem of the unrefined powerplants, Tata didn’t reinvent the wheel and merely plonked the fabulous Fiat 1.3 common-rail. The Vistas ride quality is simply outstanding and amongst the best from any hatchbacks. On the flip side, Tata’s quality control hasn’t done a perfect job. Niggling problems are being reported by Vista owners. Also, the Vista looks too similar for comfort to the first gen Indica, something that could deter potential owners. Lastly, they haven't done anything to further develop their own 1.4 TDi or petrol engine.

Mahindra’s core weaknesses (at the time of the Scorpio launch) were lack of room (driver included), sloppy handling & fit / finish. The Xylo is priced exceedingly well and the interiors are very spacious too. I’d say this is the first Mahindra that is actually roomy. However, the Xylos road manners are still sloppy, and the interior quality is nothing to write home about. Compared to Tata who have outsourced their best engine, Mahindra has developed the engine themselves. And thus, receive brownie points for that. The Xylos pricing is also killer.

Irrespective of who wins the poll, in my opinion, both these cars are winners. Simply because they are cultivating talent amongst Indian engineers. Both are giant leaps ahead for their respective manufacturers. Unlike Maruti which was literally begging Suzuki for "gearbox technology" till recent time. Despite dominating the Indian market with a 50% market share, Maruti has still not designed a single car ground up in India.

Which of these is a bigger leap forward for the Indian car?

My vote goes to the Vista. I believe this car is proof that Tata is coming of age. The Xylo will surely taste success with its pricing structure. But compared to where Mahindra was at the time of the Scorpio, I don't see that much of a step forward in the Xylo. Another perspective : My garage - of a German car, a Japanese sedan & a product each from Tata & Mahindra - would welcome a Vista Quadrajet (if a hatch were required). However, even if I were looking at moving 6 people around, the Xylo wouldn't be on my shortlist at all. I'd pick the Vista over its Japanese / Korean competition, but I wouldn't choose the Xylo over its foreign alternatives.

Pics courtesy : Team-BHPians.

Last edited by GTO : 31st January 2009 at 13:40. Reason: better image for Xylo
Old 31st January 2009, 13:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Both have one more weakness in common:

Tata have tried to make the Vista look like the Indica and Mahindra have messed around with the design to make the Xylo look like the Scorpio.

Sometimes it isnt such a good idea to look like your predecessor.
Old 31st January 2009, 13:36   #3
BANNED

Actually yes, both Xylo & Vista are huge accomplishments for Indian manufacturers, but somehow I feel Indica Vista is a more compled package & a vastly improved car.
There are far less weaknesses in the Vista & the car is "Global" ready!
Xylo still has room for core improvements & fingers crossed, its next gens. might be spot on.
Vista for me "just" manages to get ahead for now. Maybe from a sales point of view, Xylo accelerates ahead, but that could be due to lack of choice in the segment.
Old 31st January 2009, 13:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Xylo as Indica Vista doesnt have an Indian heart, which is essentially a very critical if not the most important peace. Apart from the better looking exterior and interiors I am not sure what ground breaking, path breaking things Indica Vista has done. Indica too was spacious and comfortable, and near the end reliable as well. Vista's core qualities revolve around the Fiat engine.
Xylo on the other hand has an Indian heart, which can hold its own against competitors. Even though its no way as refined as its japanese counterparts, its no slouch either and Mahindra continues to improve on its powertrain. In addition they have sorted out the single biggest challenge of Scorpio, space. I still feel Scorpio handles better than Safari (body roll and scary steering), and even though I havent driven Xylo yet, all I can say is if its a step forward, than things can only begin to get better.
Lastly the pricing of Xylo make it killer. One can ingnore the interior finish (perhaps the biggest drawback) given the pricepoint of this car. Tata has chosen to go the aquisition and borrowing powertrain way and Mahindra have gone developing their own. My vote goes to the ones that develop themselves and thus promoting Indian engineering!

Edit:
If the vote was for a better vehicle I would have gone with Vista. But that vote would have been caz of the Fiat MJD engine. But since the vote is about the step forward by Indian vehicle, I think Xylo has taken a bigger step (Indianess taken into account). Indica Vista without Fiat MJD is not a huge step forward and cant match up to Xylo. Xylo is ready on its own to take on the japanese competition, but Vista can only aim to do so with a little Italian help. What say?

Last edited by aseem : 31st January 2009 at 13:41.
Old 31st January 2009, 13:38   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Tata have tried to make the Vista look like the Indica and Mahindra have messed around with the design to make the Xylo look like the Scorpio.
Good point. The Vista could do with a better rear light arrangement, if the Xylo loses its angry face....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
There are far less weaknesses in the Vista & the car is "Global" ready!
Center instruments included!
Old 31st January 2009, 13:42   #6
BHPian

well i voted for vista!! yes it has a rented heart but no manufacturer is complete in itself. all of them are interdependent in terms of technology,marketing,sales and so on. As long as i get value for money complete product i wont care from where the manufacturer is getting things developed.
Old 31st January 2009, 13:42   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Center instruments included!
A la X-Trail, though Nissan has dumped it in the newer one, but Vista can carry it for now!
Old 31st January 2009, 14:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Xylo. Its less of "copy-paste technologies from Fiat+lovely NVH+nice steering/pedals".
Old 31st January 2009, 14:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Xylo for me. I think they have fixed most issues from the past. Road mannersl - which SUV /MUV under 10 L have it perfected? Interiors are what you pay for.
Old 31st January 2009, 14:11   #10
BHPian

I have owned Indigo marina and Indica turbo (which i sold it in a month and a half time) cause it was utterly sad vehicle i am sorry for indica owners to sit through the rattles and misfits that come with it,

But never had a similar experience driving my brother's Scorpio (Initial turbo version) it has its handling problems but no more problems than that

Xylo, I have test driven both the vehicles but if one sees the price structure, technology, comfort etc i would go for xylo, above all of these it is Indian at heart and build ( personal preference)
Old 31st January 2009, 14:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
A la X-Trail, though Nissan has dumped it in the newer one, but Vista can carry it for now!

this will carry on i think for VISTA sedan, vista XL vista CS and what not maybe even a VISTA convertible and a COUPE.. or even an SUV.. u never know..
Old 31st January 2009, 15:01   #12
Team-BHP Support

I can live with a car that has ok ok interiors and to a certain extent, poor road manners. But a thing i will not compromise on is reliability.

Tata loses out here since the niggling problems with their cars, Vista included, continue.
Old 31st January 2009, 15:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

both have done well. Even though its too early, (after seeing one and sitting inside one) i would expect Xylo has a better all around quality. My vote goes for it, by a narrow margin.
Old 31st January 2009, 15:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Both have one more weakness in common:

Sometimes it isnt such a good idea to look like your predecessor.
Steer, its looks way different in real life.

Have heard about quality problems with Vista.

Mahindra has a winner here for sure.
Old 31st January 2009, 15:12   #15
srh
BHPian

My vote goes to Xylo or should I say M&M?. This is on account of two things: first is that the entire vehicle has been put up in-house. The second is that compared to Tata, the resources with M&M are limited and M&M has used its limited resources in a better manner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks