Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Larger step forward?
Vista 187 60.52%
Xylo 122 39.48%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 20:06   #31
BHPian

I dont think both, Tata & Mahindra have done anything exceptional or a marked improvement over their previous products.
But, still my vote goes to Xylo, neither for its design , price or space at offer, only for the sense of security that this vehicle wont fail you when asked to deliver. Mahindra is way ahead of Tata in this aspect, and the reliability of its cars can not be doubted.
Old 31st January 2009, 20:10   #32
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
you guys talk about indian and other stuff . but do you know the mahindras use so many suppliers who are not indian that i wouldnt use the term fully built indian stuff as such.

Regarding the engine , I still feel that mahindra has outsourced the engine rather than manufactured it .
Mahindra manufactures its engines. The design gets inputs most probably from AVL, but still it is an in-house effort.

Regarding suppliers, every OEM now relies on sourcing complete systems from their Tier 1 suppliers. There are Indian suppliers (e.g. Kalyani Brakes) as well as JV's (e.g. Motherson Sumi or Sanden Vikas). However, few of these systems are off the shelf proprietary products. The OEM is involved in some way or the other in the customizing the design. Finally the integration of these disparate systems is done by the OEM.
Old 31st January 2009, 20:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Mahindra is way ahead of Tata in this aspect, and the reliability of its cars can not be doubted.

Not much to choose between the two, actually. One has issues with peripheral components such as a/c, plastics and brake bias, the other has core issues like transmission and differentials.

They're equally bad or equally good, depending on your point of view.

All this talk of Mahindra reliability is ridiculous.
Old 31st January 2009, 20:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

I would vote for the Mahindra Xylo, because if you take the MJD out of a Vista then there is not much to it. The Mahindra CRDI engine/s have always been a cracker of a powerplant.
Old 31st January 2009, 20:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

i have voted for the xylo. the amazing interiors coupled with such an attractive price is a shocker. mahindra vehicles are usually priced quite high.
i dont care about the looks, its an MUV... a family mover & it serves that purpose excedingly well.

@ steeroid: mahindras are very reliable my friend, unlike tatas. these comments maybe from personal experiences but you cant term them 'ridiculous'!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 31st January 2009 at 20:48.
Old 31st January 2009, 20:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Will refrain from voting simply because I believe that both vehicles have moved the game forward for their respective companies.

Honda and Toyota took decades to get their quality to where it is now. With that as reference, M&M and Tata are certainly getting better with every new product offering.
Old 31st January 2009, 21:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to Vista. Xylo may have slain the sedans, but it forgot the hatchbacks.

Having lived with vista for sometime now, I believe its among the best overall packages
Old 31st January 2009, 22:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

If you ask which is the better Indian product, then it definitely has to be the Vista.
Old 31st January 2009, 22:27   #39
BHPian

I vote for Xylo but some additional Safety feature could have make perfect... Wish M&M will do in next release.
Old 31st January 2009, 23:01   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Both have one more weakness in common:

Tata have tried to make the Vista look like the Indica and Mahindra have messed around with the design to make the Xylo look like the Scorpio.

Sometimes it isnt such a good idea to look like your predecessor.
so what?

I didnt see you complaining about the face of Q5 and A4 or A6
Old 31st January 2009, 23:53   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

My question is thus : Which of these is a bigger step forward for an Indian car?

Which of these is a bigger leap forward for the Indian car?

I'd pick the Vista over its Japanese / Korean competition, but I wouldn't choose the Xylo over its foreign alternatives.
Bigger Step? Bigger Leap? It's got to be the Indica Vista.

IMHO I feel that a fair count of people would not be choosing the Vista JUST because it's cheaper than it's foreign competition. It's not fighting with the competition just with the price trump card alone.The product as a whole package has evolved for the better

This can truly take the product and the Indian Brand global!

After all these years of development and testing, is PRICE the only scoring point of the Xylo? Definetly not a giant leap.

And can someone please shed light on the development time for both the cars?

I never knew that Tata was working on a MPV. The Xylo is launched and we already see Tata testing the Indicruz! Some brownie points please for Product development time

But Tata leaves a part of the testing to the poor public though
Old 1st February 2009, 00:10   #42
BHPian

[quote=GTO;1152521]The Innova, Tavera (yup, believe me) and the discontinued Qualis.

road manners under 10 lacs- innova i agree , but tavera and Qualis you must be joking right?
i have driven qualis and it always felt like while braking that rear was going in different direction then the front part and it had worst back seats followed by tavera .. sorry but i dont agree with you on these two muv's but as far as innova is concerned its best in its segment , may be in a segment higher too,
it is a sedan killer in its segment imho? given a choice i would buy innova in sub 10 lac category but would definitely buy a sedan instead of tavera or qualis..
Old 1st February 2009, 00:41   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
If and when the tata launches the ingenio, this achievement too will be matched by them
A self-confessed Tata fan, but you didnt know Tata doesnt have a project called Ingenio?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Innova, Tavera (yup, believe me) and the discontinued Qualis.
Talking of road manners, and the very points people complain about the Xylo, doesnt the Qualis also dip and dive upon braking? Then why herald it for good road manners?
Old 1st February 2009, 01:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
A self-confessed Tata fan, but you didnt know Tata doesnt have a project called Ingenio?!
I meant the indicruz . the ingenio is the xylo - got it mixed up in a hurry
Old 1st February 2009, 02:13   #45
BHPian

Well the bigger step would be Xylo. because first time an Indian car is breaking into MPV segment.

Actually you should compare Tata Indica (the first version) with Mahindra Xylo. Because then both of them would have been the first indigenous products in their respective segments.

But I will vote for Vista, reason being the refinement (in design and design choices) and the fact that the whole package seems to be a real competition (not in terms of price) to its counterparts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks