Team-BHP - Openable windows for 3rd row seats
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Openable windows for 3rd row seats (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/52774-openable-windows-3rd-row-seats.html)

Hello !

Wanted to invite people's comments on :

Considering some Indian vehicles have a 3rd row seat that is intended to be used frequently; why is it that their manufacturers do not offer roll-down windows for 3rd row seat occupants ?

In my opinion, usually the 3rd row seat is the least comfortable (as compared to other seating positions) from a leg room / knee room / seat back angle / head room point of view.

While these interior space issues may be constraints of the vehicle size (length, width, height), if only manufacturers would keep ventilation plentiful, it would ease the comfort situation.

I know a lot of people might say :

a. usually air-con is used, in which case roll-down windows are not necessary. But have a look at vehicles on the road ... most drive with their windows open
OR
b. most vehicles offer a tilt-openable or sliding window for the 3rd row ... but I don't think these are as effective as roll-down ones.
OR
c. the body profile of the vehicle does not allow fitment of roll-down windows ... but this can be designed-in by the manufacturer.

So, what's your take on the matter ?

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

May be it's got to do with the extra cost involved.

Makes sense but there would'nt be any space for it to roll down. If you've noticed the fender humps inside the car next to the seats in the third row.

Intriguing question:

1. The fuel filler is generally on one side, just below the rear window. The filler pipe will post a hindrance.

2. Lack of space due to suspension components.

3. No room for the winding mechanism? You need more space than just for the size of the glass.

4. The third glass is generally a forward-inclined cut, thus it can't be made to roll down?

4. I don't think its due to the cost factor since there are hardly any (expensive included) SUVs / minivans that offer a third row roll-down window.

Quote:

c. the body profile of the vehicle does not allow fitment of roll-down windows ... but this can be designed-in by the manufacturer.
Possibly. My points are mere guesses, I'd love to be corrected.

adding on..

driver will then be at a incovenience to inform third row passengers to roll up when he switches on a/c OR power windows have to be provided WHICH DEFINETLY INCREASES COST and imagine 3 rows of buttons at the driver arm rest !!

i dont think this is a feature that is required because, generally vehicles like MUV, SUV which have such 3rd row are as such built in such a way that the cabin has an airy feel and the front 2 rows windows can offer plenty of wind to the 3rd row passenger also

Lastly i wonder how it would look to provide a roll down window in a place where there is NO DOOR !!

Regardless of the possibility, the lack of ventilation is one reason I get nauseated every time I end up in the third row wether it is Innova, Tavera, Qualis or Sumo.

I for one was clearly against the Innova even when family was more inclined to an MPV and thier reasoning was for the same price you can get a vehicle that can work for a two family outing, two reasons other than the fact that its an MPV and I wanted a Car. One its too large for a vehicle that will largely be my office commute and the other is IF I need to have more people travel I dont want anyone to complain of the cramped third row.

Now a Roll down option for the glass in the third row would have fixed the issue atleast partially, with the current Butterfly opening or whatever it is a definite no..no..

Xylo seems to have enough space and shape would still allow a roll down option, with all the little tidbits that they have added like a lockable draw under the driver seat and easy access to the third row which feels far less claustrophobic once they fix the body roll and improve it over the next three generations it may just make the cut as an option.

I think its not cost matter, but matter engineering the manufacturer wants to put in. Its not impossible to design roll down windows. May be the windows cannot roll down entirely, but the windows can be designed such that they can be rolled down 80% and only 20% window cannot roll down. This is possible as we can in sedans like Baleno and in earlier cars like Premier Padmini.

The external design does not mean that the roll down mechanism cannot be installed. Similarly, the fuel line can be re-routed for this purpose. Yes, may be it will cut in a a couple of centimeters from the shoulder room, but this will overall be more helpful for comfort.

@GTO: What do you mean by Forward-Inclined Cut ?

While I have no idea why they don't provide roll-down windows for 3rd row, it sure is a very claustrophobic experience sitting in that row. Once had to sit in the last row in a Tavera which had the rear seat modified - ie. instead of 2 small side-facing seats, they had installed a long bench facing front, like the 2nd row. And it sure was a crazy feeling sitting in the last row with 2 more adults - I felt I would suffocate or something. :Shockked:

And another disadvantage is you can't wave out to a passing car that you know belongs to a known person. During the Tavera ride from Tvm to Kollam mentioned above, I could see from very far off, a red Verna coming towards us with the big Team-BHP stickering on the windshield, which I know belongs to ram_hyundai. But with the windows not openable, there is no way to wave out at him. :)

Quote:

i dont think this is a feature that is required because, generally vehicles like MUV, SUV which have such 3rd row are as such built in such a way that the cabin has an airy feel and the front 2 rows windows can offer plenty of wind to the 3rd row passenger also
Not to mention, those who sit on the 3rd row seat are right at the bottom of the priority list : Servants, Friends of friends, in-laws etc. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 1154403)
@GTO: What do you mean by Forward-Inclined Cut ?

Sorry, should have been clearer. I meant at an angle greater than a flat 90.

Agree with narayan thirds row's ventilation need can be very well served by first & second row window.

Tilt opening window,like one on Qualis can also serve the purpose

Quote:

Originally Posted by siedo (Post 1154672)
Agree with narayan thirds row's ventilation need can be very well served by first & second row window.

Tilt opening window,like one on Qualis can also serve the purpose

Well Trax, Sumo & Bolero range has side opening windows which is something better than butterfly windows.

Once while travelling from Pune to Mumbai had to sit at last bench due to my height... that experience was very bad from that till today I have avoided to sit in such vehicles.