Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2009, 22:52   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
The S-class and 7-series have this option in which the headlights have adaptive adjustment, so if u turn left (right), the lights turn left(right). I'm not sure how they work with height though...
this feature starts from as low as passat range. height-leveling is a legal requirement for these lights, cornering is optional.
Old 1st February 2009, 23:10   #17
BHPian

We are talking lots on the Beam Angle. But many of us dont know the Basic lighting rule in the city. In Bangalore many vehicle u can see with a high beam. And add on to that its a HID. Recently I almost hit a HID fitted vehicle. That stupid was a normal FOG light and suddenly he switched on the HID which almost blind me...
Old 1st February 2009, 23:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Like Immortalz has explained correctly, HIDs in reflectors will blind on-coming traffic for sure. People here in delhi get it just for the Cool factor. HIDs in Reflector also leads to decrease in visibility as compared to halogens, because reflectors cant focus HID light properly, I have noticed many people fitting HIDs, but the light is highly un-focused going in all directions except the road.

What worse is when people get HIDs, in cars like Civic and Corolla, Three pairs of HIDs, High+Low+Fog coming at high speeds in front of you.
Old 1st February 2009, 23:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
Like Immortalz has explained correctly, HIDs in reflectors will blind on-coming traffic for sure. People here in delhi get it just for the Cool factor. HIDs in Reflector also leads to decrease in visibility as compared to halogens, because reflectors cant focus HID light properly, I have noticed many people fitting HIDs, but the light is highly un-focused going in all directions except the road.

What worse is when people get HIDs, in cars like Civic and Corolla, Three pairs of HIDs, High+Low+Fog coming at high speeds in front of you.
+1
and then they just cant drive without all the lights on. such crazy people shouldnt be allowed to drive. somebody plz tell them HIDs are not only about the bling factor.

Last edited by white_vdi : 1st February 2009 at 23:37.
Old 1st February 2009, 23:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
+1
and then they just cant drive without all the lights on. such crazy people shouldnt be allowed to drive. somebody plz tell them HIDs are not only about the bling factor.
And backstage, we were discussing about angels and HIDs. Hehe

I've ordered 2 pairs of H1 4300K HIDs. Supposedly for the yet-to-come Angels for my Swift. But I've given up on using both of them for the angels. Most prolly its going to be HID on the projector and Halogen on the high beam. And as Immortalz has rightly mentioned, HIDs in reflectors is the biggest pain on Indian roads!
Old 1st February 2009, 23:49   #21
BHPian

FH HID with projectors no problem mate

OT : i am waiting for 13th feb

Last edited by white_vdi : 1st February 2009 at 23:55.
Old 2nd February 2009, 00:33   #22
BHPian

Guys! I guess no one has noticed this or it has simply managed to slip, Toyota were advertising HIDs on the Altis, but when i saw the car for the first time i was shocked to find no projectors and that made me think how can Toyota do this. I waited for some time to spot an Altis at night and it felt very good to find that the Altis uses 4300K HIDs in low beam only without projectors and its a very effective but mild light in the sense that its not blinding at all.

The problem is that 4300K HIDs came only factory fitted as OE for most cars with projectors but still were rare thus expensive but until now that i have heard that Phillips are offering them at approx 9K INR for a set of bi-xenons(complete with ballasts etc).

So the only other options for others was getting 6000K which was brighter and some even went for 8000K, only because there are lots of Chinese brands available in the market at a very cheap price.
For example Phillips a year ago was offering 4300K HIDs for approx 23-24K INR and P4 HIDs for approx. 15-16K. So obviously people preffered the Chinese ones at 6-9K INR.

Second culprit was the lack of knowledge. People failed to understand that more not everytime means better, people thought 8000K was better than 6000K which would obviously would be better than 4300K. But actually its the other way around.
K means Kelvin which denotes color temperature of the light and not brightness or power.
6000K emits a bright blueish light but the actual visibility from that light is low. 8000K and 10000K move towards the purple shade and again if viewed from the front is very VERY bright but the usage of the light for a driver is next to nothing as visibility from that light diminishes further as you go up the spectrum of color of light.
4300K comes closest to sunlight color thus its whitish and gives good visibility.
Old 2nd February 2009, 00:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

I have a 8000K BI-Xenon HID on my bike.
I avoid using the headlight 80% of the times when in city(streets are well lighted in chandigarh).
I use my bike extensively for touring on Highways and stock halogens and replacement bulbs dont work even upto 100W.
SO HID was the only option,and when I got it that was around 2 years ago,only Bling Bling were available,so had to settle for 8000K,that was the lowest i could opt for.

Yes its very very bright,and beam spread is amazing and I ride on low beam and highbeam is used for oncoming traffic which never bothers to switch from high to low beam.
I am using it as I had no option for my bike
Old 2nd February 2009, 01:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I have a 8000K BI-Xenon HID on my bike.
I avoid using the headlight 80% of the times when in city(streets are well lighted in chandigarh).
Mate, I have to tell you that's a very dangerous thing to do. One of my friends used to do that too thinking that streets were well lit, but a truck driver somehow dint know he was there because his headlight was off and banged straight into him. Luckily he survived. You may think you're a safe driver, so having the headlight off won't affect you, but think about other drivers on the road. If you have a headlight on, they'll know you're there from a safe distance. Whereas if it's off, they might not notice you till the last minute and then they may either hit you or swerve suddenly and hit something else...
Old 2nd February 2009, 01:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

My Question now is since there is no projector setup in the altis.. the Hid comes only in the top end right so is it possible to fit it in the base version..
nd yes some times lauras lights are blinding n some with modified lights w/o projectors on highbeam (or even low beam for that matter) is extremely irritating to the eyes.
Old 2nd February 2009, 01:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
Mate, I have to tell you that's a very dangerous thing to do. One of my friends used to do that too thinking that streets were well lit, but a truck driver somehow dint know he was there because his headlight was off and banged straight into him. Luckily he survived. You may think you're a safe driver, so having the headlight off won't affect you, but think about other drivers on the road. If you have a headlight on, they'll know you're there from a safe distance. Whereas if it's off, they might not notice you till the last minute and then they may either hit you or swerve suddenly and hit something else...
I guess thats why the Pilot lamps are there in the headlight assembly. And I guess akshay uses them instead of the main headlamps. Know quite a few of the HID Bikers who do city riding on Pilot lamps.
Old 2nd February 2009, 01:16   #27
BHPian

vinay i have never felt low beam (stock) on laura to be disturbing. infact i like the bluish purlish tinge add HID to high beam or fog lamp on laura and it will be irritating.
for you i guess, go for 4300k HID for low beam. it will be the same as top end altis.

Last edited by white_vdi : 2nd February 2009 at 01:17.
Old 2nd February 2009, 01:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
I guess thats why the Pilot lamps are there in the headlight assembly. And I guess akshay uses them instead of the main headlamps. Know quite a few of the HID Bikers who do city riding on Pilot lamps.
Yup I use pilot lamps,and they are quite bright to be noticed.
and chandigarh has 90% 4 lane roads within the city apart from internal roads.
And streets are so well lit,that most of the time headlamps have no affect due to the bright light from Sodium street lights.
Old 2nd February 2009, 01:24   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Yup I use pilot lamps,and they are quite bright to be noticed.
and chandigarh has 90% 4 lane roads within the city apart from internal roads.
And streets are so well lit,that most of the time headlamps have no affect due to the bright light from Sodium street lights.

Chandigarh sounds like an awesome place to live!

Anyway, I'm glad you use the pilots..
Old 2nd February 2009, 01:27   #30
BHPian

f450 chandigarh is one nice place and generally people are well behaved on the roads. not like hyd or delhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks