Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2010, 14:03   #91
BHPian

1999: Kinetic Marvel - NO !!! It sucks

2003: Honda Activa - Yes. It was the best bet.

2005: Esteem Lx carb with LPG - Yes. Since i got it from my bro.

2008: Verna crdi - Yes. Fiesta was only other choice.

2009: Safari Ex 4*2 - NO, should have brought gx4*4. But in either case, i'm abroad. so investment wasted
Old 28th September 2010, 14:14   #92
Senior - BHPian

My 1995 Suzuki Shogun (Delivery date July 4th) served me 10 whole years and never ever marooned me on roads. Apart from couple of few skidding we never met with any serious accidents. One interesting fall which I still LOL was just starting the bike from front of my home (we have a huge courtyard filled with river sand)shifting to 1st gear, releasing the clutch and u thrown away fall flat, just getting up with sand sticking all over the body, face and head, for few seconds can't understand what happened, then realized that I forgot to unlock the handle lock.

From my old abum

If you could go back in time, will you buy the same car ?-1996.jpg

If you could go back in time, will you buy the same car ?-2000.jpg

I miss my Shogun. If they launch it now, I will buy it again and again.

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 28th September 2010 at 14:27.
Old 28th September 2010, 21:48   #93
BHPian

Original jap M800 : marvel of a car, 14 yrs & 118k (can u beat that). YES!
1994 M800: the most frugal car ever. Yes
1997 Zen : served me well for 5+yrs & 90k kms. Yes
2001 Opel Astra: the confidence inspiring machine. What a waste it went down on account of poor A$$. will I buy it again - not certain ( love the car, hate the poor A$$)
2004 Indigo: made me understand the use of every single spare part that goes into the making of a car (frequent repairs). DEFINITELY NO.
2005 NHC : welcome to the experience of hassle free ownership. Underpowered, braking leaves much more to be desired for (NON-ABS) , too light for the highways! Yes
2008 Altis AT: just two words 'sheer bliss'. Driven almost 40k, and damn...... its feels like new. COMPLETE PEACE OF MIND. miles ahead of Honda in A$$ & customer management!!! If only I had known earlier..... all my set of wheels would have been a Toyota. Well... atleast all the future ones will be.

Cheers
Old 29th September 2010, 03:42   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

We have owned various cars in our family. I am starting with 1999:
1999 - Fiat Siena TD60 EL PS: Yes! A superb car, very reliable and started the Fiat love story! Was driven from Mumbai to Jaipur and back. The only thing though would be to get an ELX SP instead. Apart from the looks, there was nothing else that could be flawed.

1999 - Tata Indica Petrol: Yes! This was bought used, a pre-V2, pre-indica2000. Surprisingly fast and reliable. Loved the space too. It came with alloys and seat covers and was red in color. Every 10yr old boys dream.

2000 - Daewoo Nexia Deluxe: Yes! Sure there were much better cars out there such as the OHC, etc. However, as a chauffeur driven car, this seemed to be the perfect choice! Interiors were superb, and I was very pleased the day the car was passed on to me. Was finally sold to a T-BHPian from Bangalore, and I hope she is still running well.

2000 - Ikon 1.6 ZXi: Yes!
2001 - Ikon 1.6 ZXi: Yes! Loved the car so much, we got another one the following year. Both were super reliable and amazing to drive. Miss them terribly.

2001 - Honda Accord 2.3 VTi M/T: Yes and No! Bought used in 2002, from the initial batch that was supposedly imported. Superb to drive, and very spacious and comfortable. Miss the car a lot! Bet she would still be running reliably today, and would love to drive her and do her up a bit. However, I also said no as we could get a 2002 Ford Mondeo in our budget, a true drivers car.

2002 - Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX: Yes and No! yes because the car was superb! No because I couldn't drive, and the last time I saw her (just before selling her off) she was in a horrible condition due to some faulty repairs.

2003 - Toyota Corolla 1.8 H2: Yes and No! It was a nice car no doubt, and seemed perfect. However, ours seemed to have bad luck and a weak suspension that would eat through tyres due to faulty alignment which occured during a small accident, and took ages to correct! However, would still buy another one.

2003 - Hyundai Sonata Gold: Yes! Was bought and used by the company. We got hand of it later on in 2006-2007. Was a nice car, and at the discounts that were going on then, the car made a lot of sense.

2004 - Mercedes Benz E270: Yes and No! Yes because there were no other choices. No because reliability wasn't the best and if there were choices, we might have looked around.

2005 - Mitsubishi Lancer LX: No! The car was bought because I loved the lancer to drive, and this was supposed to be my daily drive. Got a spoiler, aluminum pedals, and bigger tyres put in. However, the suspension was non existent, and the car's quality was atrocious! Would have gotten a Maruti Suzuki Baleno VXi instead. The car is still there, and over the years the issues have been sorted out and she is performing well. Performance is seriously lacking though.

2006 - Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi ZXi: Yes, Yes, and YES! In fact, if I were to buy a car today, i would go and buy another Fiesta. The feeling when I drive her is superb! Only thing though would be to change the variant from a TDCi to the 1.6P SXi with ABS.

2007 Skoda Octavia Combi 1.9 TDi L&K: Maybe! While the car is nice to drive: spares are expensive, a bit of body roll, and NO SPACE! In fact, if the car was just bigger from inside, it would be a yes! Features, practicality, everything! She does her airport trips and outstation trips well, and I still love taking her out for a spin. Back in 2007, I would have tried hard to get the new CR-V A/T though.

2008 - BMW 525d: Yes! the car has been very reliable, and is superb to drive! Looks menacing as well. Just wish I could get regular tubeless tyres instead.
Old 29th September 2010, 05:46   #95
BHPian

I will talk about the latest car that I have. It's the Logan 1.6 GLS. If I could go back in time, I would definitely buy this car again. It fitted my budget nicely and the VFM factor is awesome. So no regrets (so far :-))
Old 29th September 2010, 09:16   #96
Senior - BHPian

2003 Alto Lxi - No We had three choices, Alto Lxi, Vxi and the Zen Lxi. I desperately wanted either the Alto Vxi or the Zen Lxi, but due to financial constraints we got only the Alto Lxi. Though it was a reasonably good performer in cities, with great mileage, we did miss the Vxi / Zen Lxi in highways. Also, the A/C was more like Nitroboost. Only difference is that you need to switch off to get the boost

2007 Swift Vxi - Yes and No. I wanted to get the Palio 1.6, infact got some great discounts on it, as it was a outgoing model. But we decided against it as A.S.S and Spares were suspect. Disastrous mileage figures were also one reason. However, the Swift at that time a an undisputed champion in almost all factors like performance, handling, mileage, less maintenance, A.S.S etc..
And i still get the kick that it gave me the first time when i crossed 4K rpm with her.

2009 i10 1.2 magna - No. I booked her for two wrong reasons. 1. My wife liked it (I hope she is not reading this) 2. Because she liked it, i never took the TD. And because of that last one year has been hell for me, my wife and the car as well. Oscillations never stopped. Heart never listened to Mind. 5 attempts to sell the car before an year says it all. Although the car as such is not bad, it never suited my style of driving. Body roll ran amok, Fuel efficiency for a 1.2L was not very impressive. Coupled with my ICE spree the car never suited me. But overall its a good car, just that it didn't suit me.

2010 Fiesta 1.6S - S, S and Yes, I had my eyes set on her from the time i saw her in flesh in a Tbhp meet. Must be sometime in Nov 2009. and its almost a year now, we had lot of cars that stirred up the excitement, first it was the Beat, then the Polo 1.6, Figo, Vento, but nothing made me take my eyes of her. I was so impressed with the TD, that my total km spent in TD was close to 10 km. The other major factor for booking, is its robust build that could take my ICEing with ease. Also the location of Midbass location halfway through the door, made it an extremely ease choice to select.
Old 29th September 2010, 12:37   #97
BHPian

1994 - M800 - YES. There is a famous saying that 'itne paise main itnaich hee milega'. That was exactly the case way back then. We didn't have many choices and M800 suited us the best.

2000 - Maruti Esteem Vxi - YES. It was a perfect purchase; at 5.2L on-road, the car was simply amazing. The car was lot more fun to drive after using the M800 for long.

2005 - NHC Gxi - YES. This was supposed to be my first car to drive to college. I fell in love with OHC, but by the time, I managed to get my license NHC was in market. Though I always loved NHC, but OHC still remained up high in my desire list.

2005 - Alto Lxi - NO. I never liked this car, and I always felt Lxi model was a big rip-off and santro made more sense. But dad was blinded by Maruti's tag and bought it, though he agrees now that it was bad.

2009 - i10 1.2 Sportz - YES. The car was primarily meant to be driven by dad, and taking into consideration that he would be driving them in narrow roads (places like paharganj) and he being a fast driver, my preference was smallest car with best engine. i10 kappa sportz fitted the bill almost perfectly.
Old 5th October 2010, 18:21   #98
Senior - BHPian

1994 Maruti 1000-Yup

1996 Maruti Zen-Yup

1999 Maruti Esteem Lx-Na Should have bought the VX version

2000 Ford Ikon 1.6-Yup loved it to the core

2002 OHC 1.5-Yup But should have bought the vtec instead.

2002 Maruti Esteem VXI-Yup

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer-Nope should have either bought the SFXI or a baleno

2007 Toyota Innova-Yup completely trouble free ownership

2007 NHC gxi-Yup,it was a better alternative to the SX4

2009 ANHC-Yup

2010 Honda Civic-Yup.My 1st crush.Cant even think of leaving her.
Old 5th October 2010, 18:41   #99
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Me -

2000 - Maruti Zen VX
Not many choices back then. Probably if I had waited for a year or two, would have bought a new Palio GTX. So, yes, no regrets.

2008 - FIAT Palio 1.6 GTX
You bet . Absolutely no regrets. Would buy this again and again.

Parents -

1998 - Maruti 800
Again, not many choices in hatchbacks for our small humble family. Very happy ownership of 6 years. Sold in 2004. Probably Uno was a good contender but we were in Belgaum city, where at that time, the only dealership was Maruti. So it was a no brainer

2004 - Maruti Alto LXI
Could have been avoided. Somehow the car was accident prone in everybody's hands. Wasn't very reliable with frequent AC issues, horrible rattles and poor pick up with 4 adults. In Hindsight, we should have probably chosen a Hyundai since a new dealership had opened up in the city

2007 - Maruti Suzuki Swift VDI
This car was purchased against my wishes. Parents wanted a diesel and my choice was a frugal Ford IKON. Somehow my parents are against Sedans and this choice by them was a no brainer. Again dealership in the city, contacts with the service folks and decent previous ownerships made us repeat customers. Given a choice, I would have gone for a Ford IKON TDCi
Old 5th October 2010, 18:46   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
My 1995 Suzuki Shogun (Delivery date July 4th) served me 10 whole years and never ever marooned me on roads. Apart from couple of few skidding we never met with any serious accidents. One interesting fall which I still LOL was just starting the bike from front of my home (we have a huge courtyard filled with river sand)shifting to 1st gear, releasing the clutch and u thrown away fall flat, just getting up with sand sticking all over the body, face and head, for few seconds can't understand what happened, then realized that I forgot to unlock the handle lock.

From my old abum

Attachment 431439

Attachment 431440

I miss my Shogun. If they launch it now, I will buy it again and again.

Cheers!

Vinu
The exactly same thing happened to me too on my Shogun. There was no sand and I was on the ramp of a friend's place. But, Shogun any day dude. It just rocked.

By the way, given an opportunity, I'd like to buy a new (not refurbished) RD 350 again.
Old 6th October 2010, 08:35   #101

My Alto

2007 Maruti Alto LX I love it for economy, comfort. still with me like to not part with it in future, but my dream Alto is More roomier( head room push by 1~2 inch) more power by 10 BHP (to compensate AC power drop note I am not for 67 BHP of Alto K10 engine) adjustable driver seat, and >23km/lt economy by ARAI standard.

My feeling is that recent K10 engine is more than extra power and price. maruti Alto K10 is not match with i10.
Old 6th October 2010, 11:10   #102
BANNED

Hariya is a Scorpio CRDe SLX born in late 2007. Would I have bought him? Yes, but in a 4WD guise and an 8 seater version with some more space in the middle row.

OT: Would I have bought Don(RE Electra)? Yes, yes and yes.
Old 6th October 2010, 11:19   #103
Senior - BHPian

Our family bought the Santro Xing in 2003, & it was me who was instrumental in buying the same.

At that time, the only competitors were Wagon R (cramped rear seat for healthy people), Alto (small car altogether), Palio (Fiat A.S.S.) & Indica (Diesel was out of consideration & so the car as well).

Even today if I were to go back in the period I would buy the Santro Xing, with Wagon R as the backup choice for (in case of delivery lag).
Old 6th October 2010, 11:21   #104
BHPian

Tata Safari 3L

Would I have bought the 2007 Tata Safari 3L?

Yes and No:

Yes: because this car has absolutely no problems, buying a Safari is like a lottery, you get a gem or a lemon!

No: because the 2.2L was released in Oct while I bought the 3L in May. I wished and felt bad that I should have waited a few months before taking the dive, but in hindsight, I am having a wonderful, noisy, rattly car that has no problems to go anywhere I want it to!
Old 6th October 2010, 14:39   #105

RE Thunderbird: Yes, hands down

Indica xeta: Hmmm 50-50. Its VFM for sure. But does have its fair share of issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks