Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2005, 18:16   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand
By performance, I dont mean engine power alone.

1. Innova is bulky and I think bhp/ton ratio is definitely lesser than Corolla (I still need to verify the exact figures)..
WEll all i can say that its real very small time difference between them in gear acceleration. e.g Corolla takes 12.1 secs from 20 - 80 in third where as the Innova takes 13.42. And the Innova is producing 89.7 Bhp per tonne.
Old 27th April 2005, 20:37   #17
BHPian

Yuppums, Exactly as i had mentioned on my post below as early as on the 25th Feb 2005.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showth...9&page=3&pp=15

Mind you this was predicted by me the very next day that the Innova was launched.. And GTO had admitted that some folks might actually shift from the Corolla to the Innova..

I guess, some of these guys should make me the strategy planner for their next products..

Heh Heh.. Just kidding..
Old 28th April 2005, 10:29   #18
Team-BHP Support

The only reason I would consider the Innova is if I REALLY needed to haul 7-8 people around on a regular basis. Otherwise I would happily pay the difference and get the Corolla (sonce we are talking Toyota's here).

However, the Indian mindset is as such that people are always looking for the maximum space they can buy for a certain sum of money. It's going to be the same story with the upcoming Swift.
Old 28th April 2005, 10:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

true..the indian mentality of "more for less" does lead to a lot of wrong decisions and confusion.
person is blinded by the quantity and forgets his requirements and necessity!!
would buy the innova only if have a large family and as a second vehicle.
Old 28th April 2005, 10:33   #20
BHPian

innova

drove te Innova to pondy last week end. beautiful Van. The steering becomes very Rigid after 80KMPH but that is it.

On a cigarette Break, i was wondering why I bought Fusion+ instead of innova. Realized i did not want a Van and had no occasion(sparsely thoug) to haul 7 people. So I guess, it is people practical needs which dictate their buying behaviours.
Still will wait for the Fortuner.
Old 16th May 2005, 17:20   #21

I am thinking of buying Innova petrol version. Any feedback from real users especially in
terms of
- fuel efficiency
- driving comfort
- ability to maneuverin city traffic?
Old 24th August 2006, 10:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2buyinnova
I am thinking of buying Innova petrol version. Any feedback from real users especially in
terms of
- fuel efficiency
- driving comfort
- ability to maneuverin city traffic?
hello there,

i own a innova vvti, it is really a gud car indeed,

- fuel efficieny - 8 km/l in city and around 13 km/l in highways ( i use super unleaded shell)

- driving comfort - is one of the best in any car compared

- ability to maneuverin city traffic? - in cities it gud to enjoy riding it rather than running like a small car....

and my comment to this topic is it is not only the question of Corolla it is challenging to the others cars in this segment...
Old 24th August 2006, 11:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticore
Between the two, I'd definitely go for the latter if I were a family of 4-5+. But for a small family, say a couple and two kids, it would have to be the Corolla. Just saying that both have target audiences. Moreover IMHO the sedan provides more opportunities for kitting out too.
Manti.
Hi Manti,

I used to feel that way too (I have a 3 box sedan). However, during my recent trip to Australia, I did the famed "Great Ocean Drive" in a KIA Caravan (pretty close to the Toyota Innova). That changed my mind. The high perch, loads of stuff you can carry, the space inside (a playground for the kids), etc. is just awesome. I regret not having bought the Innova.

Rover
Old 24th August 2006, 12:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Frankly speaking, the Corolla is a semi luxury car pretending to be sporty. The Innova is a proper luxury MPV, which inspite of being sporty by MPV standards, couldn't care less about it.

The Innova knows what it is and what it's supposed to do. Corolla is a little confused, if you ask me.

Shan2nu
Old 24th August 2006, 14:22   #25
BHPian

i gotta agree with you.
a friend of mine went to the airport to pick some of his foreign customer in a corolla and the next time in an innova.
as soon as they sat in the innova they were all ga-ga about it
They told my friend to buy an innova coz that one belonged to my other friend .
So i guess innova should be more cheaper and corolla production should be stopped.
Old 24th August 2006, 16:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

I don't think anyone would think of an Innova as their first car. the Innova has it's adventages when the need for it arises. But it's always good to have a big vehicles which can seat 7-8 people.

During a recent trip to Goa, there were 15 of us. We decided to take all 3 cars out. 4 in the Vtec, 4 in the Wagon R and 7 in the Innova. Had it not been for the Toyota we'd have been in deep trouble.

You might think, can always fill 5 in each car.....but 3 cramped cars ain't my idea of a holiday trip. You need your space and the Innova makes sure you get it.

Shan2nu
Old 24th August 2006, 22:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Really. Think about it. What really does the Corolla offer more than the Innova?
Imagine two pictures of yourself. One standing with Corolla and other with Innova. If you have to show one picture to your friends, which one would you pick ?

There are several people I know (including me) who love the practicality of Innova but don't want to be seen driving it
Old 25th August 2006, 07:47   #28
BHPian

I think people will definitely cross-shop just because the innova costs less than the Corolla. However, for someone who uses the car for daily commute, the Corolla is definitely much better.

In a sense, the innova competes not just against the Corolla but against rest of that segment as well. Why buy a Corolla/ Civic/ Camry/ Accord/ Sonata/ Skoda etc. too when you can transport more people in better comfort. Sure, the Camry segment has more power, but its not that much more luxurious to cost twice as much.
Old 25th August 2006, 08:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
There are several people I know (including me) who love the practicality of Innova but don't want to be seen driving it
Pick and choose - Innova - The Indian soccer mom image, or the yellow board image. or the over the prime, shuttle the joint family image..
Old 25th August 2006, 08:52   #30
BHPian

Innova, the best MuV i have ever driven. 800Kms in 2 days. nothing can match the comfort and drive atleast in the indian road conditions. And the speed? belive me i felt i was the fasted on the road.

Most Viewed