Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2006, 00:17   #31
BHPian

space above the boot not wasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak
Hmmm, makes sense, dosen't it.
I've always believed that hatchbacks are better than sedans in which the space above the boot is wasted.
Isn't it unsafe to stuff goods upto the roof. Thats the only case in which space above the boot is not wasted. In most cases, even in a hatch, you only load upto the seat height and not above it. Isn't that the case ?

Of course, every once in a while, for airport/railway station trips you can stuff it upto the roof.

However, this thought did occur to me as well many times but I thought its just my wierd thinking. Let me put it to some test. I have a Santro(99) and a Corolla(06), so let me see how this works !!

subbarp
Old 27th August 2006, 00:27   #32
BHPian

people carrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
Well, a car is a car. And a corolla is a car while the Innova is less so. I guess because of the smaller size and being a sedan, the corolla would be easier to drive. And also the innova is not really an executive kind of car. How many executives would want to drive to office in a people carrier? But in terms of practicality, the innova is surely a winner.
1. Innova is an executive people carrier(taxi). Have seen quite a few Innovas used to ferry people. Corolla is a taxi in many parts of the world but in India it does not ahve that image.

2. The 'roll' is more in Innova than Corolla. We were once going from blr to tirupati. My mother (who may have a tendency to fall sick on an empty stomach) felt very uncomfortable in the Innova due to the constant sideways movement. Remember: For some people, the height (or high Center of gravity) does create problems of comfort (nausea type feeling).

These are the only 2 points I found missing on this thread. Rest are all valid points and Innova is definitely more VFM.

subbarp
Old 28th August 2006, 14:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp
Isn't it unsafe to stuff goods upto the roof. Thats the only case in which space above the boot is not wasted. In most cases, even in a hatch, you only load upto the seat height and not above it. Isn't that the case ?

Of course, every once in a while, for airport/railway station trips you can stuff it upto the roof.

However, this thought did occur to me as well many times but I thought its just my wierd thinking. Let me put it to some test. I have a Santro(99) and a Corolla(06), so let me see how this works !!

subbarp
Recently, I had to take 2 small bicycles for repair. Luckily, one didn't have trainer wheels. I managed to put this between the front and back seats with great difficulty and packed the smaller bicycle (with trainer wheels) into the boot of my Baleno. I really missed the practicality of an estate or hatchback where I could have folded back the rear seat completely and have had loads of space for the bicycles.

I had a tough time getting the cycle out from between the seats and luckily a passerby helped me. After the cycles were repaired, I opted to bring them back home on a rickshaw. So much for sedans .

Last edited by pradkumar : 28th August 2006 at 14:46.
Old 28th August 2006, 15:10   #34
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar
Recently, I had to take 2 small bicycles for repair. Luckily, one didn't have trainer wheels. I managed to put this between the front and back seats with great difficulty and packed the smaller bicycle (with trainer wheels) into the boot of my Baleno. I really missed the practicality of an estate or hatchback where I could have folded back the rear seat completely and have had loads of space for the bicycles.

I had a tough time getting the cycle out from between the seats and luckily a passerby helped me. After the cycles were repaired, I opted to bring them back home on a rickshaw. So much for sedans .
Luckily I have a Petra!!
I have a very identical situation and my Petra could take both the bicycles with ease with folded seats and large boot .

Well gettin back to Innova topic... Yes its one of the most VFM cars(?).
More space and luxury decent handling, good FE, reliability, Toyota back up, right price, acceptable looks. The problem is you do not look so good when you take your lady for a dinner at a class resturaunt and Vallet opens the door for the lady, expects yoou will park the car your self!!
(I wish we had Toyota Wish).
As GTO mentioned in one of the other threads, If you use your brain, its innova, If you chhoose to use your heart, then anything your heart demands!
Old 7th June 2007, 19:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Imagine two pictures of yourself. One standing with Corolla and other with Innova. If you have to show one picture to your friends, which one would you pick ?

There are several people I know (including me) who love the practicality of Innova but don't want to be seen driving it
What you need to do is to trick out your Innova: muffler cutter, chrome mirrors, spoiler, Carryboy accessories, cladding, and the like.

Innovas that have been customized by the owner look plenty good.
Old 7th June 2007, 22:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

You are right caliper, I didn't like Innova when its launched and realized If we put right accessories it looks nice. Later I baught it and have very nice accessories including 2 set of seat covers and many more.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 7th June 2007, 22:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Imagine two pictures of yourself. One standing with Corolla and other with Innova. If you have to show one picture to your friends, which one would you pick ?
Do you buy car for your comfort & requirements or to show to your friends how cool you look standing in front of it which is once in a blue moon, lets be practical.

And to me the Innova looks quite good much better then a Corolla.
Old 8th June 2007, 02:09   #38
BHPian

Innova = practicality
We are family of three and wanted a car for occasional highway trips where number of people is usually more than 3. Innova gives ample playground for everyone. One can even stretch their legs and take short naps (esp old people) with so much room available for everyone.

Though I bought it mainly for highway use but I'm loving it so much that it has also started doing duties in the city (It's surprisingly nimble/agile contrary to what I had originally perceived). It's also light on the pocket compared to ZX CVT I have kept for congested city use only.

Also I think this is one of the cars which has lots of modding potential. Alloys, graphics, spoilers, claddings, ICE ... Sadly no Petes for it yet. Things I'd like bettered would be a little less body-roll (perhaps lower the GC) and an AT transmission. Also currently there aren't really any decent choices in the MPV segment except innova .. more choices please

OT: I plan to put a webasto sunroof. Is it a good idea ?. I think it would be great for long highway trips with whole family travelling together
Old 8th June 2007, 09:43   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post

OT: I plan to put a webasto sunroof. Is it a good idea ?. I think it would be great for long highway trips with whole family travelling together
if you have the one with a dual ac then i doubt you can fit a sunroof.
Old 8th June 2007, 10:21   #40
Team-BHP Support

I dont know how the rest of the world percieves the Innova, but in my office, there are atleast 3 managers who drive their own Innovas. Quite senior too. Company provides a lease option, but they have the option to choose their ride. Yet, the Innova?
Old 8th June 2007, 11:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
if you have the one with a dual ac then i doubt you can fit a sunroof.
I think it can be fitted in the centre of roof.
Old 8th June 2007, 11:52   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
yeah.. possibly. but i dont think anyone would want to fit it there. at least i wouldnt.
Old 8th June 2007, 13:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

Yes Innova has a lot of virtues that Corolla does not have. The biggest being the super comfy ride (which is also great on the Corolla). I recently went to Shimla in Innova and trust me, the ride, AC and leg space in Innova was to be experienced. Corolla scores in AC and interiors, but loses marginally in ride and leg space, but on an standalone basis, they are pretty excellent in Corolla. Dealers indicate that many of the Corolla sales are diverted to the Innova, when people drive both. Innova size does not matter in most traffic conditions. However, I still bought a Corolla inspite of being tempted to the Innova because of:

1. Sedan instead of a MUV.
2. No need for carrying 8 seats of Innova when most of the time I am alone in the car.
3. Bigger size of Innova (not an issue for me).
4. No automatic option.
5. No need for 8 seats.
6. Corolla H3/H4 looks more upmarket inside than the top-spec Innova.
7. Wife did not dig the looks of Innova.

Biggest reason was no automatic, wife preferences, interiors, and MUV. That being said, for people who have a family that commutes regularly, the Innova remains the best if they can afford 8-25 lakhs, and scores over Corolla, CRV, Accord, Camry, Superb, Scorpio, Tata Safari.
Old 8th June 2007, 14:08   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
just had a look in my car.. seems even the centre is not wide enough for a sunroof.
Old 8th June 2007, 14:16   #45
BHPian

Using the same logic wouldnt the Tavera be as good as the Optra?
These are different category cars and though the MPV does have an edge over the sedans on Value for money, I think the sedans have a charm which these big beasts will never exhibit.

Most Viewed