Team-BHP - Corolla? Nope...Innova!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Corolla? Nope...Innova! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/5289-corolla-nope-innova.html)

Met a chap at work who had booked a Corolla - last I met him. Rolled up today in an Innova and my eyes popped out. But should they have?

Really. Think about it. What really does the Corolla offer more than the Innova? Both have brilliant Vvti engines. The Innova IMHO certainly has better & more comfortable interiors. Its way bigger and can hold almost twice the number of people that a Corolla can. With 4 people on board, the Innovas ride quality is way superior to the Corollas. This MUVs air-con is an absolute chiller and its as easy to drive as a sedan. Within the city and on the highway. On the Indian - worshipped FE front, the Corolla leads the Innova by a marginal 0.6 kpl in the city.

There are some within us who would prefer the smaller size of the sedan but thats subjective. I personally like them bigger :D

The Innova is certainly more of Toyota than the Corolla. And its a whopping 1 lac + cheaper on comparably equipped versions.

Plus, the last I heard....there wasnt any CRDi option on the Corolla.

GTO

Hmmm, makes sense, dosen't it.
I've always believed that hatchbacks are better than sedans in which the space above the boot is wasted.

indeed good topic.
thoguht never crossed my mind
surely toyota innova is damn good better than corolla
another plus point innova comes with diesel (perfect for those who travell a lot)

looks like the innova is eating into corolla's share.

but, a corolla is a corolla anyday!

Innova far better than corrola and it truly shows the quality Toyota is known for worldwide(they are preety close) . I mean it just doesn't lack in anything(apart from its looks) and as GTO mentioned the ride quality of innova is far far better than that of corrola .

So IMHO you ve nothing to loose if you switch on to innova rather than corrola . Though i wonder what Fortuner ll be like once it hits the indian showrooms (as it is based on the same platform) . I think, from the very first day it will Kill the competition .
Honda, better start working on new CR-V !!!

What about the handling aspect? It seems true that the Corolla and the Innova are at par as far as everything else is concerned. Between the two, I'd definitely go for the latter if I were a family of 4-5+. But for a small family, say a couple and two kids, it would have to be the Corolla. Just saying that both have target audiences. Moreover IMHO the sedan provides more opportunities for kitting out too.

Manti.

I totally agree, manticore. But that seems to be the only reason why anyone would want a Carolla nowadays.

But GTO, dont you think that makes just about any upper-C segment car pointless nowadays? The Innova does so many things well that it is really eating up into the car-segemtn too!

Well this is cannibalism for you.....
of course like you say the Innova does most things better than the Corolla but its not really a car is it ? The Innova is nice n dandy but its a glorified van (MPV or whaever)
hence there will always be people who want to drive a "car" rather than a big mini-van.

i would really not compare the 2. both are good. but i would take the corolla over this. i have qualis already so maybe i am saying this. 2 reasons is you cant take it to office everyday and if u are a family of 3 dont need more space in the first place. plus u do not have a auto option on it and most of the corolla in mumbai i have seen are the G ones which are auto. both are nice in their own segment. its like a accord or a CRV comparision and i know i will choose the accord anyday blindly

Well GTO i totally agree with you. The indian Corolla Altis is really nothing great. It looks as if it is built to a price. Just sat in one recently and really felt nothing great in it. Leg room less then the New City. Boot space smaller then the New City. Tilt steering doesnot go to up. But power is WAY superior then the NEW CITY no DOUBT and more features in the car. Like dual Airbags and ABS sets it apart from the New city. Well thats off topic. Coming back to the topic. The Innova i feel is way superior to the Corolla. The Corolla just looks plain ugly. It doesnot have all the features which the Innova has. For eg. Three Row AC(LOLS only two row seats in the Corolla so no chance of three row AC) More Power on paper. MP3 player whereas the Corolla just has a normal CD player. THe space in the Innova is mighty HUGE Its reallly very big in terms of space. But the Corolla feels a bit cramped IMO. Corolla has one feature more thats internally closing ORVMS and its small size is advantage in cut through traffic but then when you drive an Innova you can cut through as well. TIll date the most challenging car i have met on road is the Qualis. They drive as if they are trying to change the pace clap:

Well, a car is a car. And a corolla is a car while the Innova is less so. I guess because of the smaller size and being a sedan, the corolla would be easier to drive. And also the innova is not really an executive kind of car. How many executives would want to drive to office in a people carrier? But in terms of practicality, the innova is surely a winner.

Well, It depends on what matters to you most..

A sedan would definitely offer better handling and ride.. Although, Innova's handling is neutral, you cannot compare it with any sedan due to higher ground clearance and size of the vehicle..It will be sluggish than Corolla..

So if you are looking for PERFORMANCE, it is sedans for you and I agree that for overall value, Innova scores..

Personally, I would prefer Innova, but probably cant park it in my house or anywhere in the clogged streets of Bangalore!!. It's HUGE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankaranand
So if you are looking for PERFORMANCE, it is sedans for you and I agree that for overall value, Innova scores..

Who said the Innova is sluggish in terms of performance. Its on par with the sedans and faster then a few as well. Its superb VVTi engine is mind blowingly fast. Drive it to believe it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankaranand
Personally, I would prefer Innova, but probably cant park it in my house or anywhere in the clogged streets of Bangalore!!. It's HUGE.

agree: Its negative point is its hugeness..

Ride of the Innova is on par with the corolla if not better.(correct me if i am wrong)

By performance, I dont mean engine power alone.

1. Innova is bulky and I think bhp/ton ratio is definitely lesser than Corolla (I still need to verify the exact figures)..

2. Due to its MPV ish looks, it has higher cg and handling although is good, will not be comparable to Sedans..

hmm recently a friend of mine who own a 2nd gen Honda City 1.5 test drove the innova & was disgusted with the ride quality he said the suspension were horrible, i wouldn't have accpeted this if it wasn't him as he is a good driver. He test drove it as DSK Toyota in Pune, may be the piece was faulty, donno.