Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are you booking Nano?
Yes, definitely I am booking as soon as booking starts 59 16.39%
No, I am not interested 164 45.56%
I will wait and watch 137 38.06%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 13:33   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
personally if a reva came in that package at that price with better looks i would have gone for it well maybe just for the sake of the environment
I think it would be difficult for any electric car to be built at a similar price to a Nano. To hit that target price, everything has to be engineered for mass production and simplicity. I don't know how much development cost Tata has incurred with the Nano, but I suspect it is a huge amount of money.

The price of the Nano is about the same as the retail cost of the batteries and fitting for a Reva here in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
for that matter ,a fuelcell car is better.
Up goes the cost again! A fuel cell is an electricity generator that works in conjunction with a battery to power an electric car. Most fuel cells currently available on the market produce only a few hundred watts of electricity per hour - not enough to do much for an electric car! The 20kW fuel cells used by Honda in the FCX Clarity in the US are rumoured to be subsidised to the tune of $200,000 per car.

Add into the equation the cost of refining the fuel (hydrogen) and I'm not convinced that it is actually that environmentally efficient. It's been calculated, for instance, that the Honda FCX Clarity's fuel emissions are around 116g/km, based on the inefficiencies of extracting the hydrogen for it to run on.
Old 14th March 2009, 11:08   #107
BHPian

Do you see this happening?

Well today in class our sir started to stray away from physics and landed up on the nano(can't blame him, these college teachers don't earn much so he seems to be the target customer for tata, plus they'll do anything to get an excuse from teaching), anyway he said that he plans to fill the forms etc and sell the booking confirmation letter

We asked him why wouldn't he just buy the damn car if he his one of the lucky few to get it early, he said he wants to make an extra 20-30k by selling the confirmation letter so someone else can have the car and he can have his quick buck. He would wait a few months till he got his next turn.

Now, do you see this happening and is it even possible? I'm guessing Tata must have taken precautions like these so people don't hoard up Nano's this way

If you ask me, I want the government to make the Nano the new autorickshaw, it might just save Mumbai but that discussion is for another day.

So,
1) do you see this happening
2) and is it even possible,
3) would you pay extra 20k-30k to be the first few ones to buy the nano?

p.s. He successfully wasted the entire 40 minutes of the class, yay for Mumbai college teachers.

Team-BHP Support: Post Edited & Merged. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.
We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th March 2009 at 11:18. Reason: Excessive smilie usage, search before opening new thread. Thanks
Old 15th March 2009, 22:02   #108
BHPian

^ I'd like a response to the above
Old 15th March 2009, 23:18   #109
Senior - BHPian

I am not booking at all.

Good part is, that my 800 has now started getting more attention from me. And if people are buying Nano, why should I sell my 9500 KM driven M800 which is much better than Nano.
Old 15th March 2009, 23:24   #110
Senior - BHPian

I wont take it only because it will only add to the traffic. ( I do not need any more car right now).

Otherwise i would have "GIVEN IT A THOUGHT"
Old 15th March 2009, 23:57   #111
Senior - BHPian

i will wait and watch till tata rolls out there first batch of cars,generally i had seen problem with almost all the models from tata and which are sorted out later
Old 18th March 2009, 00:07   #112
BHPian

My parents, esp mom has been hinting about myself buying a NANO for them. There are many other options of second hand cars, but because of novetly value as well as being a new car, NANO appeals to them. And their use is much limited, perhaps one trip in a week or so, with a hired driver. And it would suit to the parking space available at home. I too have another thought, leaving my 7 year old indica with them at Trivandrum and buying a second hand car in Bangalore for myself. So for the time being I will keep a wait and watch policy till I have a hands-on experience on the car.

@karankapoor: Friend, are you the same guy whom I have met (at C&W) in Delhi this January?
Old 18th March 2009, 09:57   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan.js View Post
^ I'd like a response to the above
Yes, I do see this happening.
Why?
Well, dealers are predicting 10 lakh bookings!! Lets try to rationalise that figure and presume that there will be 1 lakh bookings.

The car is being made at Uttarkhand now, where the capacity is merely 300 - 400 cars per day. That pegs production at approx 9000 - 10000 cars / month as an upper limit. Just taking into account this very watered down estimate of initial bookings, thats a 10 month (if not more) waiting period for the car.

Add to this the fact that initial delivery will be given based on a lottery system, those desperate to have the novelty value of a new car will probably be willing to pay a premium to get their hands on one in the first few months.

Even historically, we saw this with the Maruti 800, Fiats and Chetaks in the past as well, so I don't see why it wont happen now!

Last edited by swale84 : 18th March 2009 at 10:07.
Old 18th March 2009, 12:52   #114
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I am not booking at all.

Good part is, that my 800 has now started getting more attention from me. And if people are buying Nano, why should I sell my 9500 KM driven M800 which is much better than Nano.
But is is actually the case, i see the Nano (top model) as a newer modern car that is much better and more spacious than the Maruti 800 at about half the price.

[quote=Gagan.js;1212626]

We asked him why wouldn't he just buy the damn car if he his one of the lucky few to get it early, he said he wants to make an extra 20-30k by selling the confirmation letter so someone else can have the car and he can have his quick buck. He would wait a few months till he got his next turn.

Now, do you see this happening and is it even possible? I'm guessing Tata must have taken precautions like these so people don't hoard up Nano's this way

If you ask me, I want the government to make the Nano the new autorickshaw, it might just save Mumbai but that discussion is for another day.

The Autorickshaw union will oppose this to start with though it is a good idea to convert the Autorickshaws into Nano's. Cheaper, bigger, more comfortable and more stable as well.

Yes Hoarding and a 20-30K on rate is most likely. But allotment rate (lottery system) and the fact that one would not get interest on the amount one pays to book would ensure that this would not be a good idea for those who are looking at doing this as a business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
personally if a reva came in that package at that price with better looks i would have gone for it well maybe just for the sake of the environment
The Rewa guys could buy the shell and interiors car from Tata without the engine, replace with their own engine and still bring it out at a much cheaper rate than their own production. or alternatively, the TATA's could buy out the reva company and sell Nano electrics at a much cheaper rate than the reva guys, and generate a real momentum for electric cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
i will wait and watch till tata rolls out there first batch of cars,generally i had seen problem with almost all the models from tata and which are sorted out later
May not be that much of an issue in this case, as they have had enough time to sort the car out due to the Singur delay.
Old 19th March 2009, 16:12   #115
Senior - BHPian

well its wait and watch for me too,nothing could be said for Nano until its there on roads and tested around,im not in a hurry to buy one for my wife so wait until its available easily.
Old 19th March 2009, 17:55   #116
Senior - BHPian

Are there any plans for launching the nano europa?.looks very cute.
Old 19th March 2009, 18:13   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The Rewa guys could buy the shell and interiors car from Tata without the engine, replace with their own engine and still bring it out at a much cheaper rate than their own production. or alternatively, the TATA's could buy out the reva company and sell Nano electrics at a much cheaper rate than the reva guys, and generate a real momentum for electric cars.
ACM that's a good suggestion.

ACM do you think the Reva is being sold at high because of the body, no way.
Old 19th March 2009, 18:48   #118
BHPian

MY vote is : NEVER

Dont want to sound cynical - but since my close friend was involved closely with the pitch for supplying tyres for the Nano , I have an inkling of the quality standards they had in mind. The clear mandate given to all OEM of tyres was - "Dont care if the tyres wear out at 15k mileage, get the cost of 5 tyres under 6k"
Old 19th March 2009, 21:22   #119
Team-BHP Support

I voted yes earlier, but have decided against it keeping TATA niggles in mind. Won't mind the second lot with some of the problems sorted out though.
Old 20th March 2009, 10:56   #120
xPK
BHPian

I would definitely wait about an year, for some reviews before swooping one. Though there have been quite a lot tests for Nano, you may never know how cost-cut materials respond after leaving some odd thousand KMs behind your wheels.

Before I forget, I would also like to see if there's any space available on the road to drive my car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks