Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 23:40   #106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Surprising that AT is available only in diesel. If it was available in petrol, it would have been cheaper by at least 1 Lakh.
I think it's a smart move. Petrol AT will not be as efficient. Let's face it, hyundai is not known for it's petrol engines, the CRDi rules. They have exploited that point, coupled that with the diesel economy and have launched it at a very competitive price.
Old 26th February 2009, 23:41   #107
BHPian

Saw the new Verna a week back at the showroom there seems to be some cost cuttings here and there ,the auto is a 4 speed one but would do the job i guess , the stereo was a a very cheap looking one,without any manufacturer's name written on it,opposed to the earlier Kenwood Double din head unit(which was also just eye candy,didn't have any features). The Gear Knob also have been switched to a cheaper one, there is a very cheap looking(just my personal opinion) side beading with exxtra wide chrome insert running through it. The grill has changed but the difference is not easily noticeable.

Over all the Price and features makes it a pretty good buy,considering that the only other auto available under 10lakh is i10 Kappa A/T and ANHC, don't know if maruti still has their Autoboxed cars in production, and all these cars run on the precious golden fuel and gives appaling fuel efficiency figures(got 11kmpl in i10 A/T yesterday),so the Verna seems like the best auto for sensible reasons.
Old 27th February 2009, 16:19   #108
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Let's face it, hyundai is not known for it's petrol engines, the CRDi rules.
I'd rephrase that to larger petrol engines. Their small engines rock. Case in point : Santro. Low-end driveability to beat the Japs and pretty refined too. Even the 1.2 Kappa does an awesome job in the i10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
The onroad price in Bangalore is 10.2 Lacs
Well-priced. 10.2 in Bangalore would be about 9.5 in Mumbai. Everyone is pricing their cars well of late, not surprising though. One of the best options for anyone looking at a diesel self-drive in the city.
Old 28th February 2009, 15:13   #109
BHPian

a diesel auto @<10L is an answer to my prayers!!!!

how does the turbo lag feel in this version? at least one does not need to shift gears constantly in traffic!

i think I will go for a TD any day next week!
Old 28th February 2009, 15:23   #110
BHPian

everything about the verna crdi is cool except that cheesy ad.

cheers!
sai
Old 28th February 2009, 16:18   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
...however i am not sure how the car behaves on inclined roads, salesman says that the car will not roll down however i could not try this, anyone here has any idea on this?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
...On a more severe incline, it will inch backwards. It is easy to get a hold of this once you have a few KMs under your belt in an auto equipped car...
When an auto transmission car is in "D" the vehicle will not roll back, regardless of the incline. The only thing that will not happen on steep inclines is that the vehicle will not roll forward, as it will happen on a straight road, meaning you will have to accelerate to move forward.
Old 28th February 2009, 16:50   #112
Senior - BHPian

I'm sorry, but I actually have an automatic Civic. It does roll back ever so slowly on a steep incline.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 28th February 2009 at 16:52.
Old 28th February 2009, 17:28   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
I'm sorry, but I actually have an automatic Civic. It does roll back ever so slowly on a steep incline.
Strange! Have driven multiple automatic vehicles abroad and have had instances where I had to stop on the slop of flyover and never had a back roll, hence mentioned this based on that experience.

Are you sure if that your experience is not an issue? Or is this the same behavior on all AT Civics?
Old 28th February 2009, 17:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Are you sure if that your experience is not an issue? Or is this the same behavior on all AT Civics?
You did not give importance to the word 'steep' in Immortalz message. It won't roll back on slopes which are not steep. But since there is no way that we can judge, it is better to use the handbrake when shifting from brake to accelerator while moving off in a slope.
Old 28th February 2009, 17:56   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
... But since there is no way that we can judge, it is better to use the handbrake when shifting from brake to accelerator while moving off in a slope.
Since we are taking about AT's, you can always use the left leg to brake.

But then, as I said, I am yet to experience an instance where an AT rolled back in a steep when in drive. Maybe it wasn't steep enough.

ooppss!!! Do we need a new thread for this discussion??
Old 28th February 2009, 19:02   #116
BHPian

I always wondered weather an A/T will roll back on an incline so I tried it out in an automatic Camry and also an A/T i10 both rolled back when the incline as very steep.
Old 28th February 2009, 19:49   #117
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

At least we are talking about ATs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Since we are taking about AT's, you can always use the left leg to brake.
ooppss!!! Do we need a new thread for this discussion??
I would not advice learning left foot braking!
Old 1st March 2009, 19:07   #118
BHPian

It might be true that some of the AT cars abroad has anti roll backwards features but this feature is not there in Verna or i10 Automatic

I guess the feature is called Automatic hill holder or Auto hold,The Auto Hold (stops car rolling back or forward when stopped) and is available in our VV Passat.

-MUKE
Old 2nd March 2009, 00:33   #119
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
You define cheapness from the exterior ? It isnt a head turner like the Civic or ANHC, but the interiors are classy enough. Atleast better than the SX4s and Fiestas of the world.

If you really need some snob value, buy the Octavia/Laura The points by ImmortalZ are valid.
man, i won't even touch skoda from 100 ft. because its maintenance is too high and because i belongs to crowd who will not bitch and moan about buying 12 lakhs car but will bitch and moan about paying 20k for dump spare.

okay, if there is no choice doesn't mean Hyundai should take advantage and keep potential customers away, hell, what these all suckers will do if honda lauches diesel honda city? nobody, will buy anything else except honda city diesel. at least in my town, lol.
Old 2nd March 2009, 00:41   #120
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
a diesel auto @<10L is an answer to my prayers!!!!
Sir, i don't want to spoil your excitement but 10 lakhs for Hyundai's tiny verna car is not worth 10 lakhs image but again if your running is allot then you might just go for it anyway, because its mileage much be good due to crdi engine.

I will better spent 50 thousand more on civic E with all safety feature, MY DADDYS BIG CAR IMAGES and lots of reputation, warm feeling etc., but again its not automatic, its petrol but its badge is enough to get head rolling.

Last edited by Max : 2nd March 2009 at 00:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks