Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2009, 10:15   #91
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
its not a Kenwood anymore. Its a relatively lesser known brand.
Are you sure about that? I thought the new Verna's still came with the Kenwood; just wasn't sure about the model number.
Old 21st February 2009, 15:36   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Are you sure about that? I thought the new Verna's still came with the Kenwood; just wasn't sure about the model number.
No, from the information I got its not a kenwood anymore in the verna. Apparently hyundai themselves are producing those music systems. Not too sure if this is correct news. The guy at the service center told me here t chennai.
Old 21st February 2009, 17:46   #93
Senior - BHPian

from the pics posted elsewhere in the forum, definitely not Kenwood. A brand i haven't heard yet. But then again, i haven't seen the new Verna in person, so cant say with conviction.
Old 24th February 2009, 13:54   #94
BHPian

Verna Audio

It is not a kenwood but the feel and the quality is better then the earlier one... plus it now standard across all the models...
Old 24th February 2009, 15:24   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelerator View Post
It is not a kenwood but the feel and the quality is better then the earlier one... plus it now standard across all the models...
Do you know the make of the new HU, and if it has AUX-in?

Last edited by luvjascha : 24th February 2009 at 15:31.
Old 26th February 2009, 00:42   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
I find no difference between the new launches interiors to the old one. The interiors look exactly the same as the brochure that I have for my car. I guess its something that can only be judged when you actually sit inside the car. Hopefuly somone can go check it out and put up a few live snaps here!
Here are pics of the car. The featured car is a diesel A/T. Hyundai could have done a better job of the styling, IMO.Other than that, it is a good car.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna Automatic launched!!!-chennai-173-large.jpg  

Hyundai Verna Automatic launched!!!-chennai-174-large.jpg  

Hyundai Verna Automatic launched!!!-chennai-175-large.jpg  

Hyundai Verna Automatic launched!!!-chennai-172-large.jpg  

Old 26th February 2009, 09:25   #97
BHPian

@nickatnite,

Thanks for the pics bro. Seems to be interesting for AT buyers.
Old 26th February 2009, 11:17   #98
BHPian

i did Verna AT road test y'sday and following are my observations.

1. It is very very easy to drive in City.
2. It is not as quick as Manual transmission.
3. It has ABS but no Airbags, the reason provided by salesman is that only 8% in India wear seatbelts and Airbag is not activated if seat belts are not locked. does this mean Hyundai is not interested in promoting safety?, people will start using seatbelts atleast to get Airbag activated thus promoting wearing seatbelts.
4. The brakes are very much effective but salesman claims that brakes need to be services often comparing manual tranmission cars.
5. The FE claimed by the salesman is 13-14 within city ,not sure if automatic gives this FE ,Auto revs in high RPM.
6. The Auto transmission in Verna is definetly better and there are no rubber band feeling felt here, i have a question on how "R" (reverse) behaves here? While driving in "D" mode what if we switch over to "R" mode accidently??

While driving this car in "D" mode the car moves itself automatically without even pressing the accelerator and it is very comfirtable while driving in city, we just need to control the brakes.
however i am not sure how the car behaves on inclined roads, salesman says that the car will not roll down however i could not try this, anyone here has any idea on this?

The onroad price in Bangalore is 10.2 Lacs, considering the Diesel Auto and with ABS though this is not a VFM buy, it is definetly a good buy to relax our left foot during heavy traffic and as per salesman Hyundai is expecting more people to switch to buying Auto instead of manual in future due to the increasing traffic conditions within city.

-MUKE
Old 26th February 2009, 16:30   #99
BHPian

There is a locking mechanism in automatic transmissions which simply prevents jumping to reverse "R" directly from the Drive "D" mode.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:45   #100
Senior - BHPian

What a crap reason of not providing airbags. Try that reasoning in a european country.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:47   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
i did Verna AT road test y'sday and following are my observations.

4. The brakes are very much effective but salesman claims that brakes need to be services often comparing manual tranmission cars.
This is true. Because of reduced engine breaking, you need to use the break more and thus more pad and disc wear.

Quote:
5. The FE claimed by the salesman is 13-14 within city ,not sure if automatic gives this FE ,Auto revs in high RPM.
Consider FE to be 1 KMPL less than the manual and you'll be in the right ballpark.

Quote:
6. The Auto transmission in Verna is definetly better and there are no rubber band feeling felt here, i have a question on how "R" (reverse) behaves here? While driving in "D" mode what if we switch over to "R" mode accidently??
There is no rubber band feeling because it is not a CVT. You cannot switch into R accidentally because there are two things one needs to be doing for the gear to slot into R.

1) Depressed brake pedal.
2) Pressed lock button on the gear shift.

I've heard of some transmissions having a speed based lock too. But I'm not keen on testing this on my A/T.

Quote:
however i am not sure how the car behaves on inclined roads, salesman says that the car will not roll down however i could not try this, anyone here has any idea on this?
On small inclines, the car will hold without the use of the break. One way of visualizing this is, imagine the amount of forward motion the car has when you lift the break pedal when the car is on a level surface (it will start creeping forward - I can go at 10KMPH in my Civic with no accelerator input). The car will hold on an incline at which that kind of movement will compensate for the incline. I hope that makes sense.

On a more severe incline, it will inch backwards. It is easy to get a hold of this once you have a few KMs under your belt in an auto equipped car.

Quote:
The onroad price in Bangalore is 10.2 Lacs, considering the Diesel Auto and with ABS though this is not a VFM buy, it is definetly a good buy to relax our left foot during heavy traffic and as per salesman Hyundai is expecting more people to switch to buying Auto instead of manual in future due to the increasing traffic conditions within city.

-MUKE
That is exactly what an A/T is for. To reduce your blood pressure in crowded city traffic.
Old 26th February 2009, 18:49   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It has ABS but no Airbags, the reason provided by salesman is that only 8% in India wear seatbelts and Airbag is not activated if seat belts are not locked.
Considering that perhaps even less than that percent use turn indicators, what new feature does it have/have not: turn indicators, extendable plastic arm, or a hole in the side mirror for the hand to be used as a turn signal.
Old 26th February 2009, 21:29   #103
BHPian

Airbag deploy only when seat-belts are worn, technically it may be correct but the reason for not providing Airbag is not good.

Govt regulations should make ABS and Airbag mandatory for all passenger vehicles, this will make all auto manufactors to give it as standard equipment, this should also bring down costs due to mass production of ABS and Airbag systems.

Eventhough these systems may not completely make 100% safe for passengers but it may bring down the casualities. however we understand safety is in our hand and way we drive the vehicles.

-MUKE
Old 26th February 2009, 22:07   #104
Senior - BHPian

@muke31: Thats a good review of the AT. Was this your first time driving an AT?Did you try kick down shift when you drove? I'm keen to know the response when it down shifts for sudden acceleration.

In Mumbai the Verna AT is for 10.13 lakhs on road. Unfortunately no TD car available as yet.
Old 26th February 2009, 23:13   #105
BANNED

Surprising that AT is available only in diesel. If it was available in petrol, it would have been cheaper by at least 1 Lakh.

Most Viewed