Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2009, 19:47   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Verna Automatic launched!!!

Went to check i20 today and was surprised to see Verna automatic was launched 10 days back and ready for delivery. It was not avaiable when i was there but the sales representative promised me a test drive tomorrow. He can delivery me a car tomorrow as well. It is priced at around 9.9L on-road hyderabad.
Old 8th February 2009, 20:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

A/T for both the engines? Hope the A/T variants have ABS and airbags as standard. But, even then, 9.9 is bit too optimistic I guess.
Old 8th February 2009, 20:36   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Way to go, Hyundai! The more the automatic options <10 lacs, the wider our choices. Indian customers are becoming increasingly more aware of global trends and an automatic gearbox suits our congested urban conditions so much better. I'd personally pick a smooth manual, but for a city car, autos are unbeatable. Hyundai needs a USP in that segment; a diesel + automatic may just be it.

Is the Verna Automatic available with the petrol & diesel both?
Old 8th February 2009, 20:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think it will be a success if they provide it with the deisel too.
There is no chance that it can beat the Honda City A/T if hyundai provides the A/T only in the Petrol.

It is not updated on the site also. Any more information guys.
Old 8th February 2009, 20:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Is the Verna Automatic available with the petrol & diesel both?
Verna automatic is available only with 1.5 CRDi powerplant.

EDIT: Facelifted verna pics:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-pg-4-a-4.html

Last edited by live2drive : 8th February 2009 at 20:54.
Old 8th February 2009, 21:17   #6
Team-BHP Support

Man just a 4 speed AT. For a diesel engine when you don't have revs to play with a 4speed AT is really disappointing.

It's the same with the Sonata Transform, only a 4 speed AT whereas the manual comes with a 6 speed.
Old 8th February 2009, 21:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good move, but it's really sad that they haven't advertised at all, or haven't done enough to draw attention to the move. A quiet launch and waiting for customers to show up isn't going to work. Still, Auto+D should be a good altervative for the Octy A/T customers.
Old 8th February 2009, 21:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Good move, but it's really sad that they haven't advertised at all, or haven't done enough to draw attention to the move. A quiet launch and waiting for customers to show up isn't going to work. Still, Auto+D should be a good altervative for the Octy A/T customers.
You can check out the other thread on tbhp about the launch. The point is theres nothing really special about the new launch. No tweaks to the engine/suspension/chassis etc. Just minor changes, such as colour, chrome finishes and blah blah. So nothing really for hyundai to write home about.
Old 8th February 2009, 21:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Octi A/T has been discontinued sir.
Old 8th February 2009, 23:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thats great news. An AT diesel was much needed in the 10 lakh segment. Earlier the only option was the now defunct Octavia AT tdi which didnt sell much. Infact it was quite sluggish as I made out from a TD.

I'm hoping that even with the 4 speed slush box, the Verna AT will not be that sluggish as the engine is quite torquey. However only a TD would tell. Good move by Hyundai.
Old 9th February 2009, 01:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

I think its a great move by Hyundai. Yes, the non availability of air bags and some basic goodies will hurt but then wheres the cometition in this bracket. It will certainly lure some city A/T buyers away from their showrooms. after all India is a place where people will go for diesel even if their running is 20km per day, its just mentality. If i was in the market for a 10 lac A/T car, i would be only looking at the city (no other real choice) and with this option and knowing the Verna engine to be what it is, I would be looking closely and partially at the Verna.
Actually, if Indigo came in with an A/T and the Vista engine, they'd slaughter the market.
Old 9th February 2009, 02:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

I had posted a thread on this. Here it is.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...utomatic+verna

I wonder what took them so long.
Old 9th February 2009, 02:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Still no news and pricing on their website.
Old 9th February 2009, 07:26   #14
BHPian

Fantastic Hyundai, No diesel AT under 10L was a big market gap and Hyundai has definitely closed that now.
While being a torquey engine, the diesel (manual )was a bit sluggish under 2K rpm. I hope automatic is not worse than that
Old 9th February 2009, 08:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Although this is a good move, no doubt, but Hyundai is making this purely for making money or what ? Only 4 gears for a car that is not the most famous for performance below 2K, a range where mostly the engine will be spinning in city. And already the powerband is narrower than a petrol motor ( obviously ), add to that only 4 speed gearbox sorry autobox, and this is not the best combination for a diesel automatic. Unless the car is strictly used for city transport, this A/T is not of much use.
Hyundai must have gone in for atleast 5 speed. Personally I think that Verna has the capacity to have 6 th also. The first three closely spaced and the 6 tall enough for highway FE.
This is a shortcut it seems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks